OWH: Huskers Reliant on Bombs, Not Basics

Mavric

Nebraska has contented itself during the last several years to place equal/more emphasis on the skill positions than on the offensive/defensive lines. The proof is in the pudding.

Nebraska had arguably the best wide receiving corp in school history this year and in the conference, and the end result was #9wins.

This is really nothing new for any of us, unfortunately. We've seen this story play out year after year after year. Average line play, inconsistent quarterback play and poor fundamentals on defense. The fact that Nebraska couldn't rush against Tennessee was embarrassing, but so were the missed tackles and poor assignment football.

If Riley wants to succeed here then he has to take a good, hard look at two things this offseason - the offensive line and Mark Banker's defense.

Nebraska has contented itself during the last several years to place equal/more emphasis on the skill positions than on the offensive/defensive lines. The proof is in the pudding.

There's a lot of truth to this.

But to make the matter worse, Riley's offensive philosophy differs greatly from Pelini's. And not in a good way.

I think part of it was Osborne's influence on Pelini (whereas Riley disregards the input given by Osborne) and that Pelini came through the ranks on the defensive side of the ball. Pelini understands the damage a good running attack, including mobile quarterback, can do to a defense. We had such a stable of backs under Pelini that those who didn't rise on the depth chart were transferring. And we were sending them to the league every year.

A Pelini defense is also better when Bo and Carl are together. Carl is an excellent defensive line coach.

Riley's not going to change his coaching philosophy.......and thus his results will continue the up and down seasons that end up being very average over the long haul.

Here is my problem with yesterday's game and the argument that our coaching staff sucks. I only watched the first half, so I can only speak to that time frame. Only twice, did I see the defense out of position. Both were pass plays that we were bringing the house and the CB got beat from the jump. Otherwise, we had 1 or 2 guys right on top of the offensive player every time. So scheme was sound, thus coaching was sound. All the talk about Banker being horrible is funny, he had the guys in the right positions, the guys crapped their paints. The problem was the crappy tackling. It seemed like the guys just didn't want to tackle. I won't call out any player personally because that isn't right, they live and die as a team.

Here is my problem with yesterday's game and the argument that our coaching staff sucks. I only watched the first half, so I can only speak to that time frame. Only twice, did I see the defense out of position. Both were pass plays that we were bringing the house and the CB got beat from the jump. Otherwise, we had 1 or 2 guys right on top of the offensive player every time. So scheme was sound, thus coaching was sound. All the talk about Banker being horrible is funny, he had the guys in the right positions, the guys crapped their paints. The problem was the crappy tackling. It seemed like the guys just didn't want to tackle. I won't call out any player personally because that isn't right, they live and die as a team.

Thats what I saw yesterday. A lot of guys with half effort. Jogging after the ball carrier, playing timid, bringing back the ghost of Deion Sanders and that shoulder roll tackle........It really looked like a completely different team.

I have said before: I like Mike Riley and I definitely want him to win/succeed. But, after seeing our running game dwindle through the course of the season, I am losing faith in him.

Teams that struggle against the run look like Alabama when they play Nebraska. That's NOT talent.

That's coaching philosophy and focus.

Mike Riley is a passer. He comes from the Pac 10/12 where the running game is an after thought.

That is 100% fine and dandy for the Pac 12. But in the Big 10...not having a dominant running game gets you 5th place or lower in the conference standings.

Mike Riley seems incapable of learning that.

Riley had lots of 1,000 yard rushers at OSU. Jacquizz Rodgers 4 times. Yvenson Bernard 4 times. Ken Simonton once. "Mike Riley is a passer" and "Mike Riley seems incapable to leaning that" is total BS based on HIS HISTORY. His HISTORY has shown that when he has the horses, he uses them.

As for UNL's running backs, neither Newby nor Ozigbo would have started at OSU when Rodgers, Bernard or Simonton were there. In fact, neither of those guys would have started at OSU this season.

I'm sure some Stanford and Oregon fans would laugh at your assessment that rushing is an after thought in that league, not to again mention that Riley had 9 seasons where he had a 1,000 yard rusher.

First, the Pac-10 (at the time) has never been known for their outstanding defenses.

Second, if Riley was calling plays here, that would be applicable. Since he's not calling plays - nor designing the offense - it doesn't really make much difference what they did at Oregon State. I kind of doubt they were mainly an Inside Zone team during those seasons.

We need nasty lines on both sides of the ball and then need to build our team from there. We keep getting pushed around in those areas and to me that's your foundation as a team. We seem to get some decent skills players, but the lines just never work out for whatever reason. I don't get it..........

this^^

the game begins and ends with great line play period...

you fix this, we are a legit consistent top 10 program. If it were up to me...id pay out the a$$ for the best o and d line coaches and start from there....but its not up to me....

Agreed. If you win the battles in the trenches you win the game. Usually. :)

I have said before: I like Mike Riley and I definitely want him to win/succeed. But, after seeing our running game dwindle through the course of the season, I am losing faith in him.

Teams that struggle against the run look like Alabama when they play Nebraska. That's NOT talent.

Mike Riley is a passer. He comes from the Pac 10/12 where the running game is an after thought.

That is 100% fine and dandy for the Pac 12. But in the Big 10...not having a dominant running game gets you 5th place or lower in the conference standings.

Riley had lots of 1,000 yard rushers at OSU. Jacquizz Rodgers 4 times. Yvenson Bernard 4 times. Ken Simonton once. "Mike Riley is a passer" and "Mike Riley seems incapable to leaning that" is total BS based on HIS HISTORY. His HISTORY has shown that when he has the horses, he uses them.

As for UNL's running backs, neither Newby nor Ozigbo would have started at OSU when Rodgers, Bernard or Simonton were there. In fact, neither of those guys would have started at OSU this season.

I'm sure some Stanford and Oregon fans would laugh at your assessment that rushing is an after thought in that league, not to again mention that Riley had 9 seasons where he had a 1,000 yard rusher.

First, the Pac-10 (at the time) has never been known for their outstanding defenses.

Second, if Riley was calling plays here, that would be applicable. Since he's not calling plays - nor designing the offense - it doesn't really make much difference what they did at Oregon State. I kind of doubt they were mainly an Inside Zone team during those seasons.

If it was up to me, and I understand its not, I'd run traps, counters and sweeps as my bread and butter running plays.

If it was up to me, and I understand its not, I'd run traps, counters and sweeps as my bread and butter running plays.

Plays that can assist in negating a "more athletic/talented" defensive front........That would be my choice as well...

• Fire 1

Plays that can assist in negating a "more athletic/talented" defensive front........That would be my choice as well...

Yep. And you can use those plays to help create favorable matchups also.

Holy crap, we agree again.

Haha. Seriously though, are the OL now and in the future athletic enough to run the traps and pass block effectively?

Wait.....he had TWO different backs have four 1000 yard rushing seasons each?

If true, that's an impressive stat. I can't imagine that happening anywhere.

Wait.....he had TWO different backs have four 1000 yard rushing seasons each?

If true, that's an impressive stat. I can't imagine that happening anywhere.

technical Rodgers left after his junior year so he had 3 not sure about the other guy

Thats what I saw yesterday. A lot of guys with half effort. Jogging after the ball carrier, playing timid, bringing back the ghost of Deion Sanders and that shoulder roll tackle........It really looked like a completely different team.

At some point though it becomes the coaches job to notice poor effort. There were a few guys that should have been on the bench thinking about it.

Holy crap, we agree again.

Haha. Seriously though, are the OL now and in the future athletic enough to run the traps and pass block effectively?

I don't know, that's just how I would build my running game if I was the offensive coordinator. I would also utilize a short/medium passing game and depending on my opponent I might call 60-40 run/pass up to 40-60 run/pass. Personally, I really don't want my opponent knowing whats coming.