McKewon: Huskers can’t let shutout deter them in recruiting

People talk about us not having an identity but Riley taught Wisconsins HC most everything he knows? We have an identity and it is similar to most of the teams in the Big 10 frankly. At least in terms of what Riley wants to do. If anything Riley is taking us more towards the Big 10 mold than Bo ever was. PSU and OSU have done different things on offense than what the Big 10 is used to but if you look at the scheme we want to run offensivly anyway it is very similar to Wisconsin, Iowa, MSU, Michigan, ect.

Maybe Michigan State but not a lot in common with the others. Those teams are all running teams first and foremost.
and so are we. Look at the stats not off perception. We run nearly an identical scheme to Wisconsin, maybe because Chryst learned what he knows from Riley

Edit: ok if you look at the stats you will find Wisconsin does run significantly more but that bring said it doesn't change that our schemes our very similar

Running the ball isn't really our offensive identity at the moment. Although I will say they tried to be better at it this year. We will find out more next year when Riley has his pro style QB what we are going to do on offense. If I had to guess I'd say it will look nothing like Wisconsin.

People talk about us not having an identity but Riley taught Wisconsins HC most everything he knows? We have an identity and it is similar to most of the teams in the Big 10 frankly. At least in terms of what Riley wants to do. If anything Riley is taking us more towards the Big 10 mold than Bo ever was. PSU and OSU have done different things on offense than what the Big 10 is used to but if you look at the scheme we want to run offensivly anyway it is very similar to Wisconsin, Iowa, MSU, Michigan, ect.

Maybe Michigan State but not a lot in common with the others. Those teams are all running teams first and foremost.
and so are we. Look at the stats not off perception. We run nearly an identical scheme to Wisconsin, maybe because Chryst learned what he knows from Riley

Edit: ok if you look at the stats you will find Wisconsin does run significantly more but that bring said it doesn't change that our schemes our very similar

Wat no....

Wat no....
maybe an exaggeration but to say Chryst hasn't been influenced by Riley would be inaccurate

Wat no....
maybe an exaggeration but to say Chryst hasn't been influenced by Riley would be inaccurate

No doubt he's been influenced by Riley but if you think anybody but Alvarez is controlling the direction of their offense you are kidding yourself.

• Fire 1

If you are saying that he had a specific type of offense in mind when he hired the HC, then....I'll agree with you. If you think he is meddling deeper than that and controlling what they are doing on offense, then I'm going to have to ask for some type of proof.

I always thought this was a pretty common idea. Since Barry has been there they've always had basically the same core offense. Andersen was more of a spread guy, stuck around a year, and arguably took a step down going to OSU. Seems kind of suspicious...
  • Fire 1

If you are saying that he had a specific type of offense in mind when he hired the HC, then....I'll agree with you. If you think he is meddling deeper than that and controlling what they are doing on offense, then I'm going to have to ask for some type of proof.

So you think a AD that had coached two bowl games instead of letting a assistant do it isn't hands on?

• Fire 2

I always thought this was a pretty common idea. Since Barry has been there they've always had basically the same core offense. Andersen was more of a spread guy, stuck around a year, and arguably took a step down going to OSU. Seems kind of suspicious...

Well, if the AD is dictating the offense past hiring the guy to do it and letting him run the show, then I'm no longer surprised Anderson was only there for a year.

I don't care how successful Barry was, not many top coaches are going to want to be in a place the AD is micromanaging the program to that point.

So you think a AD that had coached two bowl games instead of letting a assistant do it isn't hands on?

Depends on how "hands on" you're talking about.

Like telling him what they are going to do on offense hands on. I went and looked at Chryst's team stats from when he coached at Pitt. He ran a balanced 50/50 offense that hovered around .500 win percentage. That's not what he's runnering at Wisconsin. Coincidence? I don't think so.

Where Iowa and Wisc tend to beat us are on the O and D lines. They both have had very good O linemen which has negated our decent D lines. We have had a few good O linemen but not all 5 at one time and there has been no depth to plug in when injuries happen. Our O line class last year I hope brings back the parity we need but it may not show up this year. Recruiting on the D line needs to improve....especially at DE if we want to get into the BIG West picture. I think our skill positions will be ok.

This is such a basic concept. But it's absolutely true. +1 We will never get anywhere in the B1G until we can field an offensive line that pushes people around. And a defensive line that breaks things apart. We haven't had either one for several years.