Women's Marches

170223111924-nc-billboard-protest-trnd-m

The only real argument I've ever had with my best friend was related to this. She will not consider dating a man who doesn't make more money than her, and she wants everything to be traditional, as in she does most/all of the cooking, cleaning and housework.

She has a PhD in a stem field and makes good $. She's smart as hell. The convo was frustrating because I make more than my fiancé and it doesn't bother me in the least but by her standards he's not worthy of me. (She didn't say this to me though - we were talking about her. She's also really hot so if any of you are rich and handsome and want someone to clean for you send me a PM).

Ugh. Can I ask where she lives, how she was raised and if she's religious?

I know these people exist, but I really have a hard time understanding it. Not gonna say there aren't days that I wish I had a 4 carat diamond, and could spend my days at yoga classes and starbucks and just be responsible for having dinner on the table at the end of the day but there's no way that life would be for me.

The only real argument I've ever had with my best friend was related to this. She will not consider dating a man who doesn't make more money than her, and she wants everything to be traditional, as in she does most/all of the cooking, cleaning and housework.

She has a PhD in a stem field and makes good $. She's smart as hell. The convo was frustrating because I make more than my fiancé and it doesn't bother me in the least but by her standards he's not worthy of me. (She didn't say this to me though - we were talking about her. She's also really hot so if any of you are rich and handsome and want someone to clean for you send me a PM).

As long as she isn't pushing her views onto others, I don't have an issue with her desires. If that's what she wants out of life, then more power to her.

:blink:

Gawd, I just wish I was "hot."

I have no problem with women who embrace "traditional" roles. That's their choice.

But...I have a HUGE problem with people who believe that "traditional" is defined as the woman being 2nd fiddle/class to a man.

Why do you have so much of a problem with her views on how she wants to live her life that you get into a major argument about it? You both have valid views on how you want to live your lives.

Why do you have so much of a problem with her views on how she wants to live her life that you get into a major argument about it? You both have valid views on how you want to live your lives.
Why are you questioning a friendship between 2 people you don't know and without any idea how we interact or how heated the argument was? I said it was the only real argument I've ever had with her. I didn't say it was a major argument. I didn't say I was trying to tell her how to live her life. I didn't say either of us even got mad. The billboard reminded me of it and I found the argument interesting so I posted about it here.

Your reply is really weird. Something about my post must have indicated that I was mad. I can't figure out why else you posted that. I find it intriguing, not maddening.

In case you didn't see it when I posted it, my fiance voted for Trump and listens to Rush Limbaugh, so I think I'm a bit more tolerant and relaxed than you think I am, at least as indicated with your reply.

Pardon me if I was out of line. But, I'm not questioning your friendship. Not sure where that came from. How do I know how good of friends you are?

Your comment about "the only real argument" left me with the feeling you really had a problem with her attitude towards who she wanted to marry....if you didn't......why was there an argument?

Your post just reminded me of a conversation I had one time with my sister in law. I had a great aunt who had a wonderful life with her husband. Literally, she was one of the happiest people I've ever known. Anyway, my SIL once ranted on and on about how horrible her life must have been staying home with the kids while her husband was out farming...bla bla bla.....

I was fairly young at the time....but, it left me with the feeling of.....well.....if you are happy working outside the home, great....if she was happy staying home and taking care of the family, great....

I personally have never understood why one spouse has a problem with the other spouse making more money no matter what sex they are. My wife has had periods where she made more than me and I was very grateful that she could make that money at that point in our lives.

Again....If I took your post wrong....then no big deal and ignore my comments.

We weren't talking about her relationship (or future relationship as she wasn't in one at the time). If anything it was the reverse of that. She knows I'm in a relationship with someone who makes less than me. But it wasn't about that either it was more of a discussion about the logic/philosophy of it.

Also, the housework part wasn't the focus. It was mostly about the $.

OK. So, it was more of a discussion than an argument.

Yes that's probably a better word. I mean we were arguing but neither of us were upset, heh. (Althogh I might've been slightly annoyed at the implication that my fiance wasn't good enough).

I can understand you being annoyed at her being judgmental about your relationship.

Yes that's probably a better word. I mean we were arguing but neither of us were upset, heh. (Althogh I might've been slightly annoyed at the implication that my fiance wasn't good enough).

I can understand you being annoyed at her being judgmental about your relationship.

We weren't talking about my relationship either though, heh.

I'll just leave it as that I'm confused on what your conversation was. Obviously, I must have no clue.

I'll just leave it as that I'm confused on what your conversation was. Obviously, I must have no clue.

She said she would never date a man who makes less $ than her. We then discussed/argued on her logic/philosophy, i.e. The Why of it. It's not that complicated. The point of me posting it wasn't to go into details on our discussion but you made quite a few assumptions on the nature of it which is why we're talking about it now.