Women's Marches

I remember when I was in a Fraternity at UNL. It all seemed so crucial, and the dangers from the GDI's seemed so real. We were young and on fire and everything was BIGGER and MORE IMPORTANT.

This doesn't seem a lot different. I'll be shocked if there's a riot. A secretive national organization of rowdy, riotous women descending on FIJI to raise utter hell?

LOL. OK. I'll believe it when I see it.

2pm Saturday at Fiji. I'll be there with popcorn & a fez.

And for the record I lived through the Jayne Wade Anderson era of the UNL Greek System.

I don't know about you guys but for me it always seemed like the people that were not in the greek system were more judgmental about things. Like, a lot of them seemed to really dislike anyone in the greek system for no other reason than the fact that they were in the greek system.

I just wanted to live in a big house and have fun.

Stereotypes exist for a reason teach. Obviously not all people in the Greek system fit the mold, but a lot of the guys I've know were douchey and total bro's. More interested in a party than anything else. There are very nice and cool people in the system, but the d bags ruin it for the rest.

• Fire 1

It seems to me the proportion of self-absorbed fake girls is higher in sororities than in the rest of the university population.

On the otherhand I had a partner in an engineering class who was in a sorority and she was basically the opposite of the stereotype except she was blonde.

I think that's another issue though - fraternities and sorority demographics are skewed more White than the general population.

I think they're skewed according to the overall university pop for sure. Nebraska for instance is not a terribly diverse as a state or a university, especially if you take athletes out of the mix (very few of them actually have the time to take part in the greek system, I wouldn't go so far as to say it's frowned upon, but it takes more time management and etc and the teams are little frats of their own). If you go to the south and universities like Howard you'll see a reflection of their school population.

Stereotypes exist for a reason teach. Obviously not all people in the Greek system fit the mold, but a lot of the guys I've know were douchey and total bro's. More interested in a party than anything else. There are very nice and cool people in the system, but the d bags ruin it for the rest.

Hey I agree...I am shocked that you have not been attacked for this though. Maybe some people are coming around finally? I feel like I have helped them in that regard.

It seems to me the proportion of self-absorbed fake girls is higher in sororities than in the rest of the university population.

On the otherhand I had a partner in an engineering class who was in a sorority and she was basically the opposite of the stereotype except she was blonde.

I think that's another issue though - fraternities and sorority demographics are skewed more White than the general population.

It sounds like you had a prejudice against this girl because she was in a sorority, and then she turned out to be not anything like you thought she would be like.

Hey I agree...I am shocked that you have not been attacked for this though. Maybe some people are coming around finally? I feel like I have helped them in that regard.

I spent a year in a frat and then things changed and I dropped out of the house. So, I've seen both sides. I would say that most non-greek people don't really give a crap about the greek system and just find it and their members highly annoying. On the flip side, Greek members tend to believe they are above the rest of the student body and look down their noses at the rest.

My daughter went through Rush this year as a Freshman. She went in excited and thought that was exactly what she wanted to do. She went through the entire week, got invited to join the houses she chose as her favorites and on Saturday, she declined every single one. Her comment was....."their priorities were really screwed up".

I don't know anything other than that statement. But, I was proud of her that she went through the process and made a very mature decision in the end.

I spent a year in a frat and then things changed and I dropped out of the house. So, I've seen both sides. I would say that most non-greek people don't really give a crap about the greek system and just find it and their members highly annoying. On the flip side, Greek members tend to believe they are above the rest of the student body and look down their noses at the rest.

My daughter went through Rush this year as a Freshman. She went in excited and thought that was exactly what she wanted to do. She went through the entire week, got invited to join the houses she chose as her favorites and on Saturday, she declined every single one. Her comment was....."their priorities were really screwed up".

I don't know anything other than that statement. But, I was proud of her that she went through the process and made a very mature decision in the end.

What changed at your house? Anything bad?

I am not going to defend the behavior from Fiji's over the past weekend, especially if they were chanting "no means yes" to women. It's extremely stupid and hurtful towards women. But, stupidity and guys being insensitive to women happens all over college campuses, and not just at fraternities.

I see a lot of negative comments regarding college students being in the Greek system. I was in the Greek system at UNL for a couple years, and I had positive and negative experiences from it. I'm glad I was in a frat for a couple years, and I am glad that I also lived off-campus for a couple years. I think people want to see behavior from Greeks that reinforce their prior opinions of them. They see Greeks partying, drinking, being "douchy", etc. and that's all they think of them. I don't think wanting to party and drink during college is exclusive to the Greek system though.

There are also plenty of very good things that come from being in the Greek system. The average GPA among Greek houses is higher than non-Greek students. Greek houses do quite a bit of philanthropy and charitable work, as well. Greek houses offer the opportunity to college kids to become leaders in an organization and prepare themselves for life after college. Yeah, the partying and social aspect is great, as well, but what is wrong with having fun during college.

• Fire 2

No, just wasn't something that was good for me at the time. I still have good friends from the experience 30 years later.

I spent the first 2 years of my college existence being a total waste of oxygen. I was probably drunk 5 days out of the week and missing classes because of it. I got good enough grades that I was able to stay in the house. But, by the time I was going to start my second year, I realized that I needed to grow up and start acting a little more mature. I made the decision that the house was a part of what was promoting me being that way.

Don't get me wrong. There were guys in my house that WEREN'T as bad as me, had a good college career there and became very successful because of it. But, there was an underlying crowd/social atmosphere that I got hooked up into way too much.

DAMN....it was fun. But, I needed a change. I spent the next year still drunk off my ass but I slowly learned lessons and moved on.

I don't blame the house or the people in it. It was all on me being immature at the time. I have my regrets.

I am not going to defend the behavior from Fiji's over the past weekend, especially if they were chanting "no means yes" to women. It's extremely stupid and hurtful towards women. But, stupidity and guys being insensitive to women happens all over college campuses, and not just at fraternities.

I see a lot of negative comments regarding college students being in the Greek system. I was in the Greek system at UNL for a couple years, and I had positive and negative experiences from it. I'm glad I was in a frat for a couple years, and I am glad that I also lived off-campus for a couple years. I think people want to see behavior from Greeks that reinforce their prior opinions of them. They see Greeks partying, drinking, being "douchy", etc. and that's all they think of them. I don't think wanting to party and drink during college is exclusive to the Greek system though.

There are also plenty of very good things that come from being in the Greek system. The average GPA among Greek houses is higher than non-Greek students. Greek houses do quite a bit of philanthropy and charitable work, as well. Greek houses offer the opportunity to college kids to become leaders in an organization and prepare themselves for life after college. Yeah, the partying and social aspect is great, as well, but what is wrong with having fun during college.

Yes, if you go into the Greek system with the right attitude and in a good house that fits you, it can be a wonderful experience that lasts a lifetime.

No, just wasn't something that was good for me at the time. I still have good friends from the experience 30 years later.

I spent the first 2 years of my college existence being a total waste of oxygen. I was probably drunk 5 days out of the week and missing classes because of it. I got good enough grades that I was able to stay in the house. But, by the time I was going to start my second year, I realized that I needed to grow up and start acting a little more mature. I made the decision that the house was a part of what was promoting me being that way.

Don't get me wrong. There were guys in my house that WEREN'T as bad as me, had a good college career there and became very successful because of it. But, there was an underlying crowd/social atmosphere that I got hooked up into way too much.

DAMN....it was fun. But, I needed a change. I spent the next year still drunk off my ass but I slowly learned lessons and moved on.

I don't blame the house or the people in it. It was all on me being immature at the time. I have my regrets.

Dang! Yeah, that can totally put a beating on you. Did you deactivate or just move out? I only lived in the house for one year...then we moved out with some friends off campus and hardly spent time at the frat. Sometimes I would stop over between classes and sometimes they would ask us to host parties at our off campus house.