Women's Marches

Knapplc - I know ATO is right next door but I have not heard any allegations against them. Are you asking based on thoroughness/proximity or based on an actual allegation?

FIJI's history with this sort of thing works against it unfortunately. The head office investigations of assault, underage drinking, falling from balconies exonerated the fraternity until UNL found otherwise. Honestly, if Johnny Carson wasn't an alumni, the house would have lost it's charter in the late 1980's

Some ATO members are being investigated by UNL because they were also implicated by the marchers. It's in the LJS article.

Knapplc - I know ATO is right next door but I have not heard any allegations against them. Are you asking based on thoroughness/proximity or based on an actual allegation?

FIJI's history with this sort of thing works against it unfortunately. The head office investigations of assault, underage drinking, falling from balconies exonerated the fraternity until UNL found otherwise. Honestly, if Johnny Carson wasn't an alumni, the house would have lost it's charter in the late 1980's

Some ATO members are being investigated by UNL because they were also implicated by the marchers. It's in the LJS article.

The article states that ATO is not being investigated as part of the Title IX investigation. Otherwise, I don't see any reference to ATO members being implicated, unless I misreading it?? This kinda alludes to it "the investigation will look at individual students, not the fraternity or neighboring Alpha Tau Omega". I took that as casting a wider net is probably safer rather than ATO members actually being implicated. Just curious, maybe I'm missing it.

Fiji's internal investigation turned up no wrongdoing. I haven't heard if ATO did a similar internal investigation and/or what those results were.

Here's a video supplied to the LJS by Phi Gamma Delta showing a woman hitting or pushing a man the story says is from Fiji.

http://journalstar.com/women-s-march-video/video_ce0fb113-d766-5ced-ad76-c650e1b7ef1d.html

Fraternity disputes allegations from Women's March

A graduate adviser to the Phi Gamma Delta fraternity chapter at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln said an internal investigation into allegations made against members of the organization following the Womens March on Lincoln last weekend turned up no wrongdoing.

Joe Skradski, an adviser to the fraternity for 10 years, said allegations against fraternity members have caused an unwarranted onslaught of criticism against the organization and permanently harmed its reputation in the Greek community.

The march in Lincoln, which coincided with hundreds around the world, started at UNL and ended at the Capitol. Marchers walked on the streets and sidewalks in front of the Phi Gamma Delta fraternity house, also known as FIJI, on the route.

LJS says that so far, no videos have come forth showing the fraternities did, in fact, shout "no means yes" at the marchers.

https://twitter.com/ChrisDunkerLJS/status/824683016022880258

https://twitter.com/ChrisDunkerLJS/status/824683146264383493

I have 2 personal friends who were there. The guys did what they are accused of doing. Too bad the friends didn't take any video.

I'm in a fraternity at UNL currently (not FIJI... yikes).

If that is what FIJI did, it is despicable. There is no place for that on this campus, and as people have mentioned, their track record is well known. If there was solid evidence of it, they need to be gone. Please understand that actions like these are not widespread, and is in no way indicative of the Greek community at UNL.

That said... there were thousands of marchers. No one has a single video of them saying it? Not one? They're f'ers, admittedly, but that big of f'ers?

There is zero concrete evidence of it happening. There is, however, a video of a girl absolutely CLOCKING a dude who seems to be minding his own business, albeit holding a stupid (harmless) sign.

My realistic opinion: The University has shown an absolute unwillingness to punish actions on this campus when it comes to the Greek community. Too many wealthy alumni who donate to the university and the Athletics Department. You don't have to look much farther than Farmhouse receiving a 6 month suspension for a pledge's death in 2013 to know that the University, through their own body of work, shows they have no balls.

If you're expecting a large punishment, you will be wildly disappointed, IMO.

The article states that ATO is not being investigated as part of the Title IX investigation. Otherwise, I don't see any reference to ATO members being implicated, unless I misreading it?? This kinda alludes to it "the investigation will look at individual students, not the fraternity or neighboring Alpha Tau Omega". I took that as casting a wider net is probably safer rather than ATO members actually being implicated. Just curious, maybe I'm missing it.

Right. ATO the fraternity, like FIJI the fraternity, are not being investigated. Individuals who live in those houses are.

I'm seeking absolute confirmation of that now. My understanding, and the way I've read these articles, is that the marchers accused people on both properties of saying these things. I'll get back to you when I hear more.

There needs to be a finding of wrongdoing which I am a bit doubtful will occur. I personally believe the allegations against the members are true. The penalty should result in the members & fraternity demonstrating better respect for women and others different than themselves. Most fraternities have service to the community as a core aspect of their founding which I believe has been lost.

As far as specifically what the penalty should be, I don't have any real good ideas for what would be fair, reasonable, and standard.

Emotionally, I would be OK if they were forced to hang from a tree by their genitals while protestors pelted them with rocks. I do recognize that is extreme.

Right. ATO the fraternity, like FIJI the fraternity, are not being investigated. Individuals who live in those houses are.

I'm seeking absolute confirmation of that now. My understanding, and the way I've read these articles, is that the marchers accused people on both properties of saying these things. I'll get back to you when I hear more.

You are correct. This is how the Title IX office operates. It is the university's way of not holding organizations accountable for their members, IMO.

Are these kids being investigated by the University? I can't imagine an actual crime was committed. But, I can see the U being able to reprimand them somehow.

May not be a crime per say, but would definitely go against the guidelines and charter set out by the fraternity nationally. With the amount of press the Women's Marches got I don't think it could be overlooked.

• Fire 1
My realistic opinion: The University has shown an absolute unwillingness to punish actions on this campus when it comes to the Greek community. Too many wealthy alumni who donate to the university and the Athletics Department. You don't have to look much farther than Farmhouse receiving a 6 month suspension for a pledge's death in 2013 to know that the University, through their own body of work, shows they have no balls.

The Greek system was held to a lower standard when I was there. The reasoning has always been the alumni. I had friends in FIJI and they seem to get away with more than other fraternities. I know two UNL chapter officers that cut all ties with FIJI after their terms. They were that disgusted with what they encountered. If that chapter was at any other University, the chapter would have had charter revoked & recolonized several times over.

I do believe the Greek system can be a force that builds great leaders and citizens and has a positive impact on the community. Left unchecked, it can easily create the worst of society as well. The latter happens all too often, imo.

• Fire 2

Moiraine - I've heard a very consistent version of the story from several protesters that were there as well. There's too much smoke as it were but not enough fire for any meaningful penalty...

What would be a good punishment, if you or any other poster could be in charge of it?

The Frat should kick them out or have them do lots of hours community service at a woman's shelter like Lydia House. The girl who punched someone should be investigated too.