Women's Marches

They will certainly experience oppression as a woman - whether that's the subliminal "girls are no good at math and science" during their high school years or some of the indirect (and direct) offenses that we experience in the work place, sadly they'll face it. Hopefully it will continue to decrease in frequency, it certainly has during my lifetime, but having the confidence to speak up, and to know that they're loved and valued by you, and that they are deserving - they'll be ready to face adversity and not let it slow them down.

In jr high/middle school/high school, it's way more than subliminal. I commonly run into this bias by male & female teachers... It is typically a situation where a male student struggles in math/science and is told he just needs to work harder; female student struggles and is told maybe math/science isn't her strong suit. Never mind the females' math/science achievement test scores are out of the park. It's not overtly explicit but it's closer to that than subliminal...

In working for VC, we did a lot research into compensation demographics. We typically saw more equal pay overall in startups but the pay & opportunity imbalance was still striking. In IT, there were a couple areas where women were on par but that was about it.

The items I found most interesting from these studies (beyond the obvious pay gap):

• In knowledge work positions, women were typically given their first management opportunity at a slightly earlier age than men.
  • Women's first management opportunity typically lasted half as long as a man's
  • First time male managers were offered extended training that first time female managers would typically have to formally request
  • Women who "failed" in management were almost always fired
  • Men who "failed" in management were most likely to be demoted and moved to another department instead of being fired
  • Men in management typically were requested to meet with their leadership twice as often as women
  • Women in management were almost as likely to have a meeting with HR as with their boss
  • Of candidates who agreed to compensation packages PRIOR to an offer - Men were 3x as likely to ask for more $ after the offer and were 2x as likely to receive it.

We compiled this data over thousands of companies encompassing tens of thousands of employees. Even grouping by company these tendencies stood out. I interpret the above as, in general, women are not just getting hosed when it comes to pay. Corporate America prefers to set women up to fail to reinforce its misogynistic bias.

Interesting addition to your comments Colo:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/grade-point/wp/2017/01/26/research-shows-young-girls-are-less-likely-to-think-of-women-as-really-really-smart/?tid=sm_tw&utm_term=.2034f504932e

• Fire 1

My realistic opinion: The University has shown an absolute unwillingness to punish actions on this campus when it comes to the Greek community. Too many wealthy alumni who donate to the university and the Athletics Department. You don't have to look much farther than Farmhouse receiving a 6 month suspension for a pledge's death in 2013 to know that the University, through their own body of work, shows they have no balls.

The Greek system was held to a lower standard when I was there. The reasoning has always been the alumni. I had friends in FIJI and they seem to get away with more than other fraternities. I know two UNL chapter officers that cut all ties with FIJI after their terms. They were that disgusted with what they encountered. If that chapter was at any other University, the chapter would have had charter revoked & recolonized several times over.

I do believe the Greek system can be a force that builds great leaders and citizens and has a positive impact on the community. Left unchecked, it can easily create the worst of society as well. The latter happens all too often, imo.

Good Lord....if the frats would do anything like the partying they did while I was there, the entire greek system would be shut down and bulldozed.

My realistic opinion: The University has shown an absolute unwillingness to punish actions on this campus when it comes to the Greek community. Too many wealthy alumni who donate to the university and the Athletics Department. You don't have to look much farther than Farmhouse receiving a 6 month suspension for a pledge's death in 2013 to know that the University, through their own body of work, shows they have no balls.

The Greek system was held to a lower standard when I was there. The reasoning has always been the alumni. I had friends in FIJI and they seem to get away with more than other fraternities. I know two UNL chapter officers that cut all ties with FIJI after their terms. They were that disgusted with what they encountered. If that chapter was at any other University, the chapter would have had charter revoked & recolonized several times over.

I do believe the Greek system can be a force that builds great leaders and citizens and has a positive impact on the community. Left unchecked, it can easily create the worst of society as well. The latter happens all too often, imo.

Good Lord....if the frats would do anything like the partying they did while I was there, the entire greek system would be shut down and bulldozed.

But we're not talking about partying? Or are you talking about sexism being more prevalent back then?

But we're not talking about partying? Or are you talking about sexism being more prevalent back then?

The comment from Atbone about Farmhouse was about an incident where unfortunately a kid who had diabetes partied too much and died. I know of other frats on campus who have been shut down because of partying.

When I was in college, it was like the school didn't care. I don't remember anyone dying and the kid from Farmhouse was a strange incident with his diabetes. But, full blown keg parties in houses with drunks all over the yard and stumbling down the block...music blairing...etc. I remember being at some parties in houses that reminded me of Animal House. NO WAY could they do that now......and that's a good thing.

They will certainly experience oppression as a woman - whether that's the subliminal "girls are no good at math and science" during their high school years or some of the indirect (and direct) offenses that we experience in the work place, sadly they'll face it. Hopefully it will continue to decrease in frequency, it certainly has during my lifetime, but having the confidence to speak up, and to know that they're loved and valued by you, and that they are deserving - they'll be ready to face adversity and not let it slow them down.

In jr high/middle school/high school, it's way more than subliminal. I commonly run into this bias by male & female teachers... It is typically a situation where a male student struggles in math/science and is told he just needs to work harder; female student struggles and is told maybe math/science isn't her strong suit. Never mind the females' math/science achievement test scores are out of the park. It's not overtly explicit but it's closer to that than subliminal...

In working for VC, we did a lot research into compensation demographics. We typically saw more equal pay overall in startups but the pay & opportunity imbalance was still striking. In IT, there were a couple areas where women were on par but that was about it.

The items I found most interesting from these studies (beyond the obvious pay gap):

• In knowledge work positions, women were typically given their first management opportunity at a slightly earlier age than men.
  • Women's first management opportunity typically lasted half as long as a man's
  • First time male managers were offered extended training that first time female managers would typically have to formally request
  • Women who "failed" in management were almost always fired
  • Men who "failed" in management were most likely to be demoted and moved to another department instead of being fired
  • Men in management typically were requested to meet with their leadership twice as often as women
  • Women in management were almost as likely to have a meeting with HR as with their boss
  • Of candidates who agreed to compensation packages PRIOR to an offer - Men were 3x as likely to ask for more $ after the offer and were 2x as likely to receive it.

We compiled this data over thousands of companies encompassing tens of thousands of employees. Even grouping by company these tendencies stood out. I interpret the above as, in general, women are not just getting hosed when it comes to pay. Corporate America prefers to set women up to fail to reinforce its misogynistic bias.

Interesting addition to your comments Colo:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/grade-point/wp/2017/01/26/research-shows-young-girls-are-less-likely-to-think-of-women-as-really-really-smart/?tid=sm_tw&utm_term=.2034f504932e

Nice article, NM!

Girls mental development is so much faster than boys especially through elementary school. Yet, somehow, boys perform much better in stem. That is such a glaring disconnect. While our society is not a meritocracy, our school system certainly should be...

The comment from Atbone about Farmhouse was about an incident where unfortunately a kid who had diabetes partied too much and died. I know of other frats on campus who have been shut down because of partying.

When I was in college, it was like the school didn't care. I don't remember anyone dying and the kid from Farmhouse was a strange incident with his diabetes. But, full blown keg parties in houses with drunks all over the yard and stumbling down the block...music blairing...etc. I remember being at some parties in houses that reminded me of Animal House. NO WAY could they do that now......and that's a good thing.

Re: Farmhouse... I hate that excuse. Yes, he had a medical condition. He was still forced to drink alcohol to a BAC well over a dangerous line. People on campus like to use it as a copout, but it isn't like it didn't happen. He's dead. That was a sad couple of months on campus.

Re: Farmhouse... I hate that excuse. Yes, he had a medical condition. He was still forced to drink alcohol to a BAC well over a dangerous line. People on campus like to use it as a copout, but it isn't like it didn't happen. He's dead. That was a sad couple of months on campus.

Whoa whoa whoa.....Please don't take my comments as meaning I condone what happened that night or am using that as a copout. I know families who know the kid. It's an extremely sad situation that should have never happened.

My point is actually in the other direction. Things happened when I was in school that SHOULD have been cause for fraternities to be locked up and kicked off campus but weren't. The school literally would look the other way.

I was refuting your comment about how the school refuses to punish. Yes, maybe Farmhouse should have been punished harder. There are other frats who have been kicked off for breaking rules. My point is the school is much more willing to punish now than they used to be. And, from what I have heard, most frats have taken notice and don't do things the way they used to do.

Partying is one thing, being wholly irresponsible with alcohol is another situation entirely. Fraternity brothers (& sorority sisters) are supposed to look out for each other and be upstanding members of the community. This level of poor judgement is entirely unacceptable. Call it hazing, call it whatever. It is not "partying".

I had a friend from high school that lost his arm & a kidney from over-drinking in college. His fraternity brothers took him out for his 21st birthday. He went to a bar where the bartender was from his house; they lined up 21 shots and he did them all. He ended up around 28 shots + 4-5 monster beers. He was ~140lbs. He went back to the house, passed out, nobody checked on him for 2 days. He passed out such that he cut off circulation to his arm and stewed in his own necrosis for 2 days. He lost the kidney from BAC & necrosis getting into the blood. He was hospitalized for over 2 months but he was lucky to live.

All these types of situations involve preying on the weak or someone in vulnerable situation. That is not something we should be celebrating or condoning in any manner.

Whoa whoa whoa.....Please don't take my comments as meaning I condone what happened that night or am using that as a copout. I know families who know the kid. It's an extremely sad situation that should have never happened.

My point is actually in the other direction. Things happened when I was in school that SHOULD have been cause for fraternities to be locked up and kicked off campus but weren't. The school literally would look the other way.

I was refuting your comment about how the school refuses to punish. Yes, maybe Farmhouse should have been punished harder. There are other frats who have been kicked off for breaking rules. My point is the school is much more willing to punish now than they used to be. And, from what I have heard, most frats have taken notice and don't do things the way they used to do.

Fair - I wasn't meaning to jump on you in an any way. I was speaking to how some people like to use that as an excuse to look the other way.

We have been given some pretty strict warnings, including threats of a mass-Greek extinction if things don't improve.

Then Phi Psi brands a pledge, Sig Ep ties a kid down to a bench and covers him in ketchup and mustard, another fraternity knocks a girl out cold at a party, numerous rape/sexual assault allegations.... nothing.

To speak to the current perception of the university from a fraternity leader's POV: they're bluffing, and they're proving it daily. That's all I'm saying; I don't expect the FIJI decision to show any different.

BRB is correct, it is totally different.

I was in a frat at UNL years ago and while I was there the crackdowns started and it started changing fast. The ban on kegs happened a few years before I was there. But then it went to "no parties" in the house, and we would still party but they were smaller and usually tame.

The campus police also could come through and search the house but I only remember that happening at my house once.

I did a quick walk through of my old house this football season and it seemed like a museum/nerdery

Fair - I wasn't meaning to jump on you in an any way. I was speaking to how some people like to use that as an excuse to look the other way.

We have been given some pretty strict warnings, including threats of a mass-Greek extinction if things don't improve.

Then Phi Psi brands a pledge, Sig Ep ties a kid down to a bench and covers him in ketchup and mustard, another fraternity knocks a girl out cold at a party, numerous rape/sexual assault allegations.... nothing.

To speak to the current perception of the university from a fraternity leader's POV: they're bluffing, and they're proving it daily. That's all I'm saying; I don't expect the FIJI decision to show any different.

Branding a pledge and sexual assault should not be tolerated. But....covering a pledge with ketchup and mustard? OK....maybe they shouldn't have done it. But....not sure if that is at the same level of the others you listed.

You obviously are in the middle of it right now and have totally different perspective than the rest of us.

All Teach and I are saying is that we aren't fully believing the "total bluff" comment from you when we experienced things totally different BECAUSE the school has and continues to crack down.

Branding a pledge and sexual assault should not be tolerated. But....covering a pledge with ketchup and mustard? OK....maybe they shouldn't have done it. But....not sure if that is at the same level of the others you listed.

You obviously are in the middle of it right now and have totally different perspective than the rest of us.

All Teach and I are saying is that we aren't fully believing the "total bluff" comment from you when we experienced things totally different BECAUSE the school has and continues to crack down.

I was there right after the keg ban. The logic was a keg requires group effort where individual containers in whatever number do not. I remember going and grabbing hundreds of cases of beer but it was an individual party. I remember when I had to be the rep to IFC for the weekend party inspections. We had to be escorted by house officers; never mind we would sit at the door for almost an hour while a house officer was located. Meanwhile, we would watch kegs being taken out the back door along with all the minors. Since it was not "inside" the fraternity nothing could be done.

The process tweaked slightly and has evolved but there is always a loophole left behind. List goes on of these types of examples. Yes, crack downs happened but only AFTER something very egregious and even then it is half-hearted changes. They are implemented poorly or with little oversight. What should have taken months to change has taken decades.

Atbone95 exaggerated a bit, but not by much.