Women's Marches

I googled it I just don't support it. I'm educated, successful, and happily married. I have no grievances towards any political figure or political culture. Im sick of white/black/men/women. What I would support is a pro family rally with intact families marching.

Well the very minute that having a family is threatened we can take to the streets.

:D

• Fire 1

It was billed as the "women's march", but they closed the door to women who didn't agree with their incredibly progressive views. That is disappointing.

I very much agree with this, and am disheartened that this was the case.

My understanding is that similar to the "MLK bust was moved" "no it wasn't - sorry" that we saw with the white house this weekend such was the pro lifers being excluded initially in DC then welcomed. I can certianly say in Boston they were there and embraced. As were Quakers and many others that didnt agree with every point being made from stage.

There was absolutely no diviseivness - if you google it and dont think its for you - fine. No need to assume that the content, tone and participants were inappropriate or out of line in speaking up for something that they believe in. There were some vulgar signs - Id say for every one that someone might find offensive you'd see 4-5 that weren't. Those of course arent the ones going viral.

The news coming out now focusing on that stuff is just theatrical. As are the people posting tro forums and FB etc chirping about it. If you didnt go - cool. If you did - cool. Lets not belittle the intent and certainly lets not assume or make up what we think happeneed when we werent there.

I googled it I just don't support it. I'm educated, successful, and happily married. I have no grievances towards any political figure or political culture. Im sick of white/black/men/women. What I would support is a pro family rally with intact families marching.

Well the very minute that having a family is threatened we can take to the streets.

The irony huh? A pretty good ex of privilege and why our country keeps falling behind. And btw, I couldn't count the number of full families that marched Sat. Moms, dads, kids, parters, grandparents etc. - it was really neat to see family units join together.

They've followed up with a plan to do something every ten days - they send an email with national level focus (right now it's the ACA). Giving you an online tool to find out who your senate is and giving their home and DC address - suggesting a postcard etc)

Locally I think we'll see things, but they will be smaller in scale - in the short term I think we'll see more female candidates for all sorts of offices as well as stronger campaigning for the right candidates when it's time to elect.

EDIT: Here's the link to the 10 initiatives they plan for the first 100 days. All are welcome to join in if it's a cause that means something to you - if nothing else check it out. Perhaps you'll get a better idea of what the weekends' activities were about and understand it's broad in scope: https://www.womensmarch.com

Found this interesting. Someone compiled the number of protestors in each state and shaded this map by percentage of population.

Damn it, Kansas.

I think most of those in Lawrence and the Kansas City, Kansas suburbs took part in the march just across the state line. I have friends and family, Kansans, who participated in marches in Washington Square Park (KC, MO) & Washington (DC).

Hope these marches lead to people getting involved, organizing, running for office, voting etc.

Someone on Reddit suggested they have voter registration at future rallies. Apparently people are planning another major protest day on April 15th.

Intertwining voter registration seems like a great idea.

One of my favorite signs in Boston was:

"I Want To See Trump's Taxes"

(not a reporter)

I have two daughters. I love them both with all of my heart and I absolutely want things to be fair and equal for them throughout their lifetimes. I am a big believer in the right to peacefully assemble and protest, we wouldn't have a nation to argue over if that wasn't part of our American History. I also fully believe that the vast majority of those who participated in these marches did it to raise awareness of the struggles women face in their daily lives. Struggles that are very real, even if they are impossible to prove or disprove. That is what the marches were sold as.

I do feel, however, that the organizers of this movement have questionable motives and that they have misled the good people who marched. It was billed as the "women's march", but they closed the door to women who didn't agree with their incredibly progressive views. That is disappointing. It would have been much more powerful if ALL women would have been allowed to join together to let people know their power and strength. Instead, it came across as a "tantrum" by many conservatives. It allowed the media to push their "everything Trump" agenda that they have been screaming for nearly 2 years now by making it anti-Trump. Sadly, this time they may be right. This was anti-Trump at its initial core, and there is nothing wrong with that. Just don't be shady about your intentions.

Good post.

Slate taking the NYT to task for article celebrating the dads who stayed home to parent while moms went to march: http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor/2017/01/23/dads_don_t_deserve_praise_for_parenting_while_mom_marches_against_trump.html

The article cast a bewildered, anthropologically inquisitive, peak-NYT gaze on the most mundane activities of parental life. Fathers reheated leftover pizza, dressed their children in winter coats, and played with their kids at parks—without help from their wives! This could have been a story about the life of any single parent, primary caregiver, or parent whose partner is away for a weekend. Almost every parent outside the 1 percent has days where he or she must parent, unremarkably, alone. But because the parents of Montclair were men who usually have women around, Bondy gave every banal duty of parenthood the weight of a superhuman feat.
  • Fire 1