Women's Marches

Protests, peaceful or violent, only make the racist more racist, and the sexist more sexist, leading to an even greater divide.

You must be very young; the '60s alone proved that the very opposite is correct. Peaceful protest gained greater rights for blacks and women; it has, most recently, gained additional rights for the LGBT community.

Yup I am young.

Here's why I accept the 60s protests more: They actually had zero rights legally. They got the civil rights. Bingo.

Now, all protests can do is change society. Society is a completely different animal. That is all I have to say. I am tired, sorry.

Do you think what was accomplished by the 60s protests had nothing to do with society's changing views because of said protests? 'Cause that's very unlikely to be the case. Changing views of society have an affect on laws.

For a more recent example, see gay marriage. Just an anecdote here but when Ellen's sitcom was on in the 90's I watched it every week with my mom. Once Ellen came out as gay my mom wouldn't let me watch it anymore. Fast forward to now and my mom is much more open-minded about it as are millions of other people. And now gay marriage is legal. These two things are strongly related and I believe society normally changes before the laws change.

One person standing on a street corner holding up a sign is easy to dismiss and ignore.

So are thousands of people doing the same thing.

If that were true it wouldn't have been all over the news the last two days.

Being upset about something that didn't go away is called a tantrum. I haven't taken part in one of those since I was about 4 years old!

Protests, peaceful or violent, only make the racist more racist, and the sexist more sexist, leading to an even greater divide.

You must be very young; the '60s alone proved that the very opposite is correct. Peaceful protest gained greater rights for blacks and women; it has, most recently, gained additional rights for the LGBT community.

Yup I am young.

Here's why I accept the 60s protests more: They actually had zero rights legally. They got the civil rights. Bingo.

Now, all protests can do is change society. Society is a completely different animal. That is all I have to say. I am tired, sorry.

Do you think what was accomplished by the 60s protests had nothing to do with society's changing views because of said protests? 'Cause that's very unlikely to be the case. Changing views of society have an affect on laws.

For a more recent example, see gay marriage. Just an anecdote here but when Ellen's sitcom was on in the 90's I watched it every week with my mom. Once Ellen came out as gay my mom wouldn't let me watch it anymore. Fast forward to now and my mom is much more open-minded about it as are millions of other people. And now gay marriage is legal. These two things are related.

Ellen's sitcom isn't a protest. However, if awareness is going to be raised over political issues, it needs to be in this kind of format. Sort of something everyone can enjoy. If Ellen was leading a big, noisy protest movement, imagine how things would be.

One person standing on a street corner holding up a sign is easy to dismiss and ignore.

If that were true it wouldn't have been all over the news the last two days.

Being upset about something that didn't go away is called a tantrum. I haven't taken part in one of those since I was about 4 years old!

Agree to disagree.

Are you sure that's true? It certainly does not appear it has been so easy to dismiss and ignore on your part, through this quite amiable dialogue on our different perspectives we're having about it. And I think there's a good, valid reason for that.

A part of you is making an appeal, and that part of you shouldn't be snuffed out. :)

• Fire 1

Okay, I'm off P&R for the night. I'm tired and that is clearly showing in my responses now.

For the record it's way easier to talk to you about this stuff than some people (at least one who is posting in this topic) who don't even make an attempt at or are incapable of seeing another viewpoint.

• Fire 2

Yup I am young.

For a more recent example, see gay marriage. Just an anecdote here but when Ellen's sitcom was on in the 90's I watched it every week with my mom. Once Ellen came out as gay my mom wouldn't let me watch it anymore. Fast forward to now and my mom is much more open-minded about it as are millions of other people. And now gay marriage is legal. These two things are related.

Ellen's sitcom isn't a protest. However, if awareness is going to be raised over political issues, it needs to be in this kind of format. Sort of something everyone can enjoy. If Ellen was leading a big, noisy protest movement, imagine how things would be.
You missed the point. The point was that society's changing viewpoints are in large part the cause for gay marriage becoming legal. The mention of Ellen was merely to show my anecdotal experience of my mom slowly changing her mind on an issue over 20 years even though she was in her 50s in the 90s.

I'm not saying Ellen's coming out on her show was a protest. There were many many small things that led to people changing their minds on the topic of homosexuality and protests were one of those things. Gay pride parades started cropping up all over the place. Ellen coming out certainly helped nudge things slightly but it ruined her career for YEARS to a point that nobody ever talked about her and it was assumed she was washed up and done with. Each little thing can help and I find it unlikely things like the parades did nothing.

• Fire 1

Okay, I'm off P&R for the night. I'm tired and that is clearly showing in my responses now.

For the record it's way easier to talk to you about this stuff than some people (at least one who is posting in this topic) who don't even make an attempt at or are incapable of seeing another viewpoint.

Agreed. It's always a pleasure talking to you, GBR. And we've all hit those points in our posts here. Please do stick around ;)

We are ruled by a government where the law-makers are meant to represent the citizens.

When the minds of the citizens change, they force the lawmakers to ratify laws that coincide with the change, or risk being out of a job.

When injustices are raised, loudly, with protest and zeal and determination, it changes the minds of citizens.

Therefore, protests are useful, good, and needed, and also proven by history to be effective.

This is not rocket science.

News flash - Legally, black people had a 'right' to vote in the 60's. They had a 'right' to due process by the law. They had a 'right' to be able to purchase homes. Now ignoring GBR's insistence that ALL protests are wrong, and then his backtracking saying he was more okay with these protests, we do no good to only look at the technicalities of legal rights when determining if people groups are disadvantaged or not, because there is far, far too much nuance in society for that to be a reliable barometer.

Side note - to anyone who falls into the camp of Christianity and is also opposed to these marches and protests - MLK Jr.'s non-violent protest philosophy came directly from the teachings of Jesus himself, who's messages were frequently taught from a context that implied opposition and protest to Rome. If you don't like this methodology - take it up with God, who taught it to us.

• Fire 6

16142421_10207427233190899_5049446201921

The Tea Party movement faced ridicule from many on the left because they disagreed. The Womens' March is facing ridicule from many on the right because they disagree. But we can all agree that peaceful protest is a valid and powerful way for the people to make their feelings known and try to make a difference. The Tea Party movement made a huge difference in 2010, we'll see about 2018.

• Fire 2

Okay, I'm done trying to talk in P&R. I am a minority conservative on this board, and I think what you guys say is stupid. On the flip side, what I say, you guys think is stupid. It's like trying to fit a circle block in a triangle hole. No, protests don't help with anything but dividing us even more. Case in point, this.

Okay, I'm done trying to talk in P&R. I am a minority conservative on this board, and I think what you guys say is stupid. On the flip side, what I say, you guys think is stupid. It's like trying to fit a circle block in a triangle hole. No, protests don't help with anything but dividing us even more. Case in point, this.

How the hell is this a conservative vs liberal issue? Did you not look at the post showing the Tea Party protest? Do you think they would've gotten so much momentum without their protests? (The answer is no). The first time I heard of the Tea Party was from a protest and the same is probably true for many who joined their cause.

• Fire 2