Women's Marches

All of you know about my huge opposition to protesting, and I disagree with everything they are protesting about. However, aside from breaking traffic laws and a couple of bat sh#t crazy feminists who chose to react to the dudes who flipped them the bird, I must admit the Lincoln one was fairly mild mannered. A couple of women even asked to take pictures with men wearing Trump hats and shook their hand, saying "I feel that we should love you too." If every liberal would be like that instead of lashing out at everyone who disagreed with them, maybe their message would go across better.

• Fire 1

I hear ya JJ - I've never done anything like this before either.

But I've recently begun asking myself:

• If I would have had the courage to support Civil Rights when those were being fought for - if I would have joined the Freedom Riders, and sadly, I think the answer is no.
  • If I would have been active in the Roe vs Wade activities. Growing up in the midwest, as a catholic regardless of how I felt I would not have put myself in a position to be supporting that publicly.
  • If I would have stood by my gay friends in the 60's & 70's when they were bringing the word Pride to the forefront and the answer is no.
  • And, I was old enough to be part of the LGBTQ marriage rights movements, but while I was 1000% supportive I didn't participate openly in anything because I was worried if I did so people would think I was gay. How selfish and immature that was.

I didn't want to look back at another big issue/movement that I had strong feelings about and say, I didn't participate - for any reason. One beautiful thing about aging is that I care less about what people think about me, and more about how I feel about myself. His candidacy and today's environment is not one that I'm willing to sit back and watch.

There are certainly people whose signage and reason for being there was probably quite "anti trump" or "pro choice" but the leaders (25 speakers in Boston) did a great job not getting caught up in that and really focusing on positive steps and motivating us to continue the engagement for the causes moving forward with all the support we saw across the US today.

• Fire 1

All of you know about my huge opposition to protesting, and I disagree with everything they are protesting about. However, aside from breaking traffic laws and a couple of bat sh#t crazy feminists who chose to react to the dudes who flipped them the bird, I must admit the Lincoln one was fairly mild mannered. A couple of women even asked to take pictures with men wearing Trump hats and shook their hand, saying "I feel that we should love you too." If every liberal would be like that instead of lashing out at everyone who disagreed with them, maybe their message would go across better.

"bat sh#t crazy feminists" "If every liberal would be like that instead of lashing out at everyone who disagreed with them, maybe their message would go across better."

Seriously GBR? You wonder why conservatives get accused of being closed minded mysogynists?

• Fire 2

"bat sh#t crazy feminists" "If every liberal would be like that instead of lashing out at everyone who disagreed with them, maybe their message would go across better."

Seriously GBR? You wonder why conservatives get accused of being closed minded mysogynists?

Amen!

Personally I have some problems with the prevalence of abortions in this country but I sure won't try to deny them the right to express their views.

You've gotta be really happy, like I think most all of us are, with the steadily decreasing abortion rate then, right? It's now down below initial Roe V Wade numbers, which is awesome news.

Reproductive rights were an indelible part of these marches, at least the one in DC. It should be obvious that it is under open assault with the incoming administration as well as Congress. As such, affirming those rights and supporting Planned Parenthood was a centerpiece of the march platform, though by no means the totality of it either. Opposition to Trump, naturally, was another central theme. Neither portrayal is misleading, and in my opinion zero apologies should be made for its staunchly pro-choice stance.

Really glad to see so many people going all over the country (and world! wooo :)) I didn't know there was even one in Lincoln; sounded awesome. I'm glad it made an even-handed impression on GBR, and that the Lincoln marchers handled the middle fingers with such apparent aplomb.

I have a question, though. Where on earth can I get one of these hats?

Personally I have some problems with the prevalence of abortions in this country but I sure won't try to deny them the right to express their views.

You've gotta be really happy, like I think most all of us are, with the steadily decreasing abortion rate then, right? It's now down below initial Roe V Wade numbers, which is awesome news.

Certainly the numbers are trending the right direction but I wouldnt characterize my feelings as "really happy". There are still a boatload of abortions happening for the wrong reasons. So, more progress sure can be made.

But I don't want to get this thread off on the abortion tangent. We all know how those go. Ha, maybe that's what we need this off season, another abortion mega thread.

Reproductive rights were an indelible part of these marches, at least the one in DC. It should be obvious that it is under open assault with the incoming administration as well as Congress. As such, affirming those rights and supporting Planned Parenthood was a centerpiece of the march platform, though by no means the totality of it either. Opposition to Trump, naturally, was another central theme. Neither portrayal is misleading, and in my opinion zero apologies should be made for its staunchly pro-choice stance.

Really glad to see so many people going all over the country (and world! wooo :)) I didn't know there was even one in Lincoln; sounded awesome. I'm glad it made an even-handed impression on GBR, and that the Lincoln marchers handled the middle fingers with such apparent aplomb.

I have a question, though. Where on earth can I get one of these hats?

Ridiculous march completely makes sense now. Planned parenthood, lol. It's not like we don't know what causes parenthood...

All of you know about my huge opposition to protesting, and I disagree with everything they are protesting about.

I understand and respect not agreeing with some of the things being supported or protested but I want to focus on that very first statement- a huge opposition to protesting.

Do you acknowledge the difference between a peaceful protest and a violent destructive one? I'm just curious if you are opposed to all protests, of any nature, or if it's just the ones that tend towards property destruction and violence.

The right to peaceful assembly is one of the pillars of our democracy IMO. That is why I typically take a hard line against groups and people that turn them into non peaceful events.

• Fire 2

Look at you, being closed minded towards my views also! Read into what I said further.

• Fire 2

All of you know about my huge opposition to protesting, and I disagree with everything they are protesting about.

I understand and respect not agreeing with some of the things being supported or protested but I want to focus on that very first statement- a huge opposition to protesting.

Do you acknowledge the difference between a peaceful protest and a violent destructive one? I'm just curious if you are opposed to all protests, of any nature, or if it's just the ones that tend towards property destruction and violence.

The right to peaceful assembly is one of the pillars of our democracy IMO. That is why I typically take a hard line against groups and people that turn them into non peaceful events.

While I disagree with protests of all forms, I do acknowledge their right to happen. Why I am opposed to this, is because this happened due to a presidential election which they can do nothing about. All the "NOT MY PRESIDENT" stuff does nothing. At this point, it's nothing more than a tantrum.

I hope everyone here is opposed to violent protesting on either side.