Women's Marches

One of my favorite signs from yesterday's march.

tAOYXn2.jpg

Just a thought...you might want to read the lyrics to the song this reference comes from. Then you might want to delete it.

I don't think it's tied to a song, but is a quote from her bus ride when she was asked to stand up/get off.

It is...Or Nah...by The Weekend.

Read the lyrics

Truly do not understand how someone with open eyes cannot see the galling gender imbalance that persists in so much of our world today.

Yes, it's a lot better than it's been, and yes, it's a lot better than elsewhere in the world. Those gains have been made by fighting the indifferent, regressive, or hostile forces that are now in charge of most of the U.S. government.

teach, this is your final warning. I can only presume you feel you can continue to take every thread off topic because it's so far been permitted. You are also out of suspensions, and this is your second verbal warning of the day. Thanks.

Truly do not understand how someone with open eyes cannot see the galling gender imbalance that persists in so much of our world today.

Yes, it's a lot better than it's been, and yes, it's a lot better than elsewhere in the world. Those gains have been made by fighting the indifferent, regressive, or hostile forces that are now in charge of most of the U.S. government.

The fact that so many claim it doesn't exist allows it to continue. What gets me most fired up is the father of girls who claim it's not an issue.

I could point to many examples where a male colleague who has less tenure and experience than I is making more. It used to be openly discussed that this was happening because "he has a family to support". At least that insulting reasoning has stopped being spouted. But maybe that was part of the PC culture and it will be coming back.

• Fire 2

Read the lyrics

That's a pretty weird leap you made based off of one word.

Let me know at what page in the google results for 'Rosa Parks Nah' you find the first link to anything having to do with that song:

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=nah+rosa+parks&start=20

It's not..it's a phrase that is used a lot now.

It has nothing to do with Parks...which is why I said he should look up the lyrics and then delete it...

It would be like saying "gangum style". It doesn't actually apply...it is just a "thing"

So to your request, I will say...or nah

tAOYXn2.jpg

Just a thought...you might want to read the lyrics to the song this reference comes from. Then you might want to delete it.

I don't think it's tied to a song, but is a quote from her bus ride when she was asked to stand up/get off.

Read the lyrics

"Nah" it's not tied to the song. That's why the quote is attributed to Rosa on the sign (and not The Weekend)

• Fire 1

GBR Houston, you just fail to make any actual defense of your beliefs. Nobody here thinks you're stupid or dumb, we're just hoping you'll engage in dialogue other than, "I disagree." For instance, you think protests don't work, at all, period. So, if protests don't work, can you answer these questions?

1. How would America have rebelled against Great Britain and started a new country if they didn't protest?

2. How would blacks have been given equal rights and had a legal end to segregation if they didn't protest?

3. How would women have been given the right to vote if they didn't protest?

4. How would the corruption of the Catholic church ever been combatted if Martin Luther hadn't started the Protestant Reformation in protest?

5. How would the Berlin Wall have come down without the protests?

6. How would the corruption and fraud of the 2004 Ukranian presidential election been overturned without the 12 days of protests?

You keep saying very clearly that you don't think protests work. It's fine for you to think that. But people are offering you plenty of examples of successful protests that have brought about change in our country and in the world, and you aren't giving any kind of rebuttals.

It's the fact that I suck at arguing with people. Plain and simple. But here are my views, and this goes to everyone:

Trump won the election. Yes he did. He is your president now like it or not. Don't like it? Very well. Make your voice heard and vote in 4 years. The electoral college works well in not allowing NYC and LA to control the entire election. Trump won against a horrible Democratic opponent (way for both parties to put up their worst candidates, huh?) It is not worth throwing a fit about. Yes it is a fit, there is no sugar coating. It's honestly time for everyone who hates him to suck it up and see what happens. Keep in mind that not everybody thinks the same way the protesters do. The protesters are just the loudest. The other half of the country have a completely different idea of "change." When laws are being made, ALL heads have to be considered.

If you must be loud, then go in front of Congress and talk to them. There's not much they can do.

• Fire 2

tAOYXn2.jpg

Read the lyrics

"Nah" it's not tied to the song.
It is in this instance.

I will let it go...becuase it might be"off topic" so I would suggest you do the same or we both might get in trouble,

It's the fact that I suck at arguing with people. Plain and simple. But here are my views, and this goes to everyone:

You'll get better the more you practice. I encourage you to do so.

And I think there are plenty of points where we can agree to disagree. For me, it's worth carrying the conversation to the point where we know exactly the parameters of our disagreement. It helps clarify both of our positions. For example, a conservative may consider certain social policies to be economically ruinous, which nobody wants. The disagreement reduces to something academic.

They could also take the position that poor people are a marauding class of lazy takers, and try to support it on these grounds. But defining oneself by such animosity isn't something people usually do, and it's through constructive debate that we can sort out our positions and at least have the opportunity to establish where it is we really stand.

It has nothing to do with Parks...which is why I said he should look up the lyrics and then delete it...

It would be like saying "gangum style". It doesn't actually apply...it is just a "thing"

The sign doesn't say 'Or Nah', the sign says, 'Nah. - Rosa Parks'

You're telling me a single word quote attributed to Rosa Parks on a sign doesn't actually have anything to do with Rosa Parks but instead has to do with some song that has that word in the title?

I guess that makes sense. I always knew that, "I love California, I practically grew up in Phoenix", said by Dan Quayle, the 44th Vice President of America, was actually a reference to Californiacation by Red Hot Chili Peppers

You're telling me a single word quote attributed to Rosa Parks on a sign doesn't actually have anything to do with Rosa Parks but instead has to do with some song that has that word in the title?

I guess that makes sense. I always knew that, "I love California, I practically grew up in Phoenix", said by Dan Quayle, the 44th Vice President of America, was actually a reference to Californiacation by Red Hot Chili Peppers

Thank you for admitting that it makes sense! I appreciate that

Thank you for admitting that it makes sense! I appreciate that

teach, you are wrong, but that is okay. When we learn something new, it is a good thing. NM and LLOMS are obviously showing you something about history you where not aware of until this moment, certainty not before you made your original comment.

You know how the sign clearly does not refer to a song because it is quoting Rosa Parks (hence the -Rosa Parks). In fact, if you wanted to continue to pretend that the sign was referring to the song, you would have to explain why it has "-Rosa Parks".

You are either being stubborn because you didn't know you were wrong or were embarrassed to be wrong or you are just trolling (which violates boards rules...and I know you would not do that).

• Fire 3

The fact that so many claim it doesn't exist allows it to continue. What gets me most fired up is the father of girls who claim it's not an issue.

I could point to many examples where a male colleague who has less tenure and experience than I is making more. It used to be openly discussed that this was happening because "he has a family to support". At least that insulting reasoning has stopped being spouted. But maybe that was part of the PC culture and it will be coming back.

That to me is the most frustrating. When talking wage imbalance, so many men trot out the "this woman makes more than me" line. If you look at similar job/experience and compare pay on gender, the gap is there pretty clearly. What is interesting to me is we are not talking about taking money from men; we are talking about paying woman comparably.

BB you are a good dad. I really appreciate the fact that you have kept an open mind, and are thinking ahead as to how the world can and will impact your girls in the future.

They will certainly experience oppression as a woman - whether that's the subliminal "girls are no good at math and science" during their high school years or some of the indirect (and direct) offenses that we experience in the work place, sadly they'll face it. Hopefully it will continue to decrease in frequency, it certainly has during my lifetime, but having the confidence to speak up, and to know that they're loved and valued by you, and that they are deserving - they'll be ready to face adversity and not let it slow them down.

In jr high/middle school/high school, it's way more than subliminal. I commonly run into this bias by male & female teachers... It is typically a situation where a male student struggles in math/science and is told he just needs to work harder; female student struggles and is told maybe math/science isn't her strong suit. Never mind the females' math/science achievement test scores are out of the park. It's not overtly explicit but it's closer to that than subliminal...

In working for VC, we did a lot research into compensation demographics. We typically saw more equal pay overall in startups but the pay & opportunity imbalance was still striking. In IT, there were a couple areas where women were on par but that was about it.

The items I found most interesting from these studies (beyond the obvious pay gap):

• In knowledge work positions, women were typically given their first management opportunity at a slightly earlier age than men.
  • Women's first management opportunity typically lasted half as long as a man's
  • First time male managers were offered extended training that first time female managers would typically have to formally request
  • Women who "failed" in management were almost always fired
  • Men who "failed" in management were most likely to be demoted and moved to another department instead of being fired
  • Men in management typically were requested to meet with their leadership twice as often as women
  • Women in management were almost as likely to have a meeting with HR as with their boss
  • Of candidates who agreed to compensation packages PRIOR to an offer - Men were 3x as likely to ask for more $ after the offer and were 2x as likely to receive it.

We compiled this data over thousands of companies encompassing tens of thousands of employees. Even grouping by company these tendencies stood out. I interpret the above as, in general, women are not just getting hosed when it comes to pay. Corporate America prefers to set women up to fail to reinforce its misogynistic bias.

• Fire 1