Tangent Thread - January 2017 Edition

cornstar

Steve Pederson has been gone for nearly 10 years. He has nothing to do with this team's "grasping at straws".

I also believe firing the two most maligned coaches, who happen to be long-time friends, is not grasping at straws. It's doing what it takes to field a championship caliber team. Time will tell if it works.

I think the questions most people are asking is:

Why did he hire those people in the first place if they weren't championship caliber coaches ?

Did we throw the last 2 years away because he hired his friends ?

I suspect that he thought Mark Banker deserved a chance with better resources, better players, etc. because Mike knows that Mark is a good coach. It is possible that Mike Riley realized that Nebraska needs a great coach or simply a change to the 3-4 because we aren't recruiting DL that seem to be everywhere in the SEC. While watching those DL during the National Championship game I thought to myself that we don't have guys anywhere near the athletic ability and talent of those DL. I also thought how the hell can we get those guys. I think the answer is that you don't bank on getting those guys and move to a defense like the 3-4 and give your players every chance to be successful due to the uncertainty that it creates in the offensive blocking schemes and the QB. I suspect that Wisconsin runs the 3-4 for that exact reason. Not a lot of Simeon Rice like DE running around in WI and none in NE either. I'm sure that Mark Banker's defense would have been amazing with the Grant W., Adam C., Suh, etc. Was there any DC available in 15 that could have been hired to run the 3-4. I don't know but I trust that Mike Riley will get the job done here in Nebraska. GBR

FLHuskerGBR posting style reminds me of 84HuskerLaw's

Same person...multiple screen names... multiple IP addresses...

There are one or two paid (money) commenters here who it appears have hundreds of screen names here.

The worst part about these people is that they are the ultimate betrayers of the Nebraska Football Program. Their loyalty is NOT to the Nebraska Football Program, their loyalty is to the bank accounts of the people who hire them to come here for sole purpose of protecting their money. These paid commenters would gladly destroy the football program... if in meant saving the million dollar paychecks of their bosses.

Steve Pederson has been gone for nearly 10 years. He has nothing to do with this team's "grasping at straws".

I also believe firing the two most maligned coaches, who happen to be long-time friends, is not grasping at straws. It's doing what it takes to field a championship caliber team. Time will tell if it works.

Why did he hire those people in the first place if they weren't championship caliber coaches ?

I suspect that he thought Mark Banker deserved a chance with better resources, better players, etc. because Mike knows that Mark is a good coach. It is possible that Mike Riley realized that Nebraska needs a great coach or simply a change to the 3-4 because we aren't recruiting DL that seem to be everywhere in the SEC. While watching those DL during the National Championship game I thought to myself that we don't have guys anywhere near the athletic ability and talent of those DL. I also thought how the hell can we get those guys. I think the answer is that you don't bank on getting those guys and move to a defense like the 3-4 and give your players every chance to be successful due to the uncertainty that it creates in the offensive blocking schemes and the QB. I suspect that Wisconsin runs the 3-4 for that exact reason. Not a lot of Simeon Rice like DE running around in WI and none in NE either. I'm sure that Mark Banker's defense would have been amazing with the Grant W., Adam C., Suh, etc. Was there any DC available in 15 that could have been hired to run the 3-4. I don't know but I trust that Mike Riley will get the job done here in Nebraska. GBR

There are one or two paid (money) commenters here who it appears have hundreds of screen names here.

The worst part about these people is that they are the ultimate betrayers of the Nebraska Football Program. Their loyalty is NOT to the Nebraska Football Program, their loyalty is to the bank accounts of the people who hire them to come here for sole purpose of protecting their money. These paid commenters would gladly destroy the football program... if in meant saving the million dollar paychecks of their bosses.

Unfunny attempt to mimic political satire is unfunny.

Did you not here him say his first year at UCONN they were a top 15 defense? I think his system is adaptable and effective just based on that. He will construct the system around the players we have.

Look who they played. They play in the American Athletic Conference.

And he was not the Defensive coach of that team... he was the head coach...

Of a team that went... 2-10... 6-7... 3-9... in his 3 years as head coach.

Aren't you just the cutest little hater? Skeptical is one thing but htf would you know? Present some credentials or stop.

Typical... you have nothing to say (no counterargument or rebuttal...nothing)... so you launch a personal attack against a fellow member.

We are all responding to comments made by Adam Carriker.

I suggest that if you don't like what he said... or if you know more than he does... you take it up with him.

Lol.

Yes the American was soooo bad this year, that it had 5 of its coaches poached to become HC's at fairly big time P5 jobs. Get outta here troll boy.

By the way, my home team, Univ of Tulsa, played OSU better than what NU did. They had two intercepts at the end of the 1st half (I think both may have been pick 6)that put them in a hole but had been pretty even wt OSU to that point. They were also 2 end of the game bad ref calls from being undefeated in the conference- vs Navy and Houston. The Tulsa coach, former OC for Baylor, will be a P5 coach very soon unless he decides he likes the quality of life at Tulsa more than chasing $$s. Tulsa has been a stepping stone for many good basketball and football coaches through the years.

Tell me more - how does this work?? How do they protect the paychecks?

Tell me more - how does this work?? How do they protect the paychecks?
We suppress the voices of those who know the truth. That Riley and company are here to run our program into oblivion so they can collect paycheck after paycheck despite going 1-11 every season. If we don't suppress those who know the truth, their voice will be heard and Riley will soon "disappear" leaving Bill Belichick to take his place.

What most husker fans don't know is, since the late 90s, the University has been infiltrated by secret Kansas State, Texas and Miami alums whose mission has been to direct the football program into an abyss of mediocrity. These are the people who moved up the ranks and became the powers that be at the University of Nebraska. These are the people who had Bill Callahan hired. They knew the fans were too close to the Osborne era to allow that for long so they made a move to make it look like they wanted progress. The problem was the next hire made too much progress. Pelini wasn't fired due to poor performance. The secret people controlling the athletic department knew Pelini was too close to success. They knew had they kept Pelini he would have won it all this year, setting a new path for Husker football glory they could not stop. So they did the only thing they could, fire Pelini and hire a replacement who could keep the fans happy while driving the football team into oblivion. That man is Mike Riley. There are a select few who see through this rouse and can cause enough uproar the ones with the power will have no option but to hire Bill Belichick. To stop these select few the powers that be have paid posters like myself hundreds of thousands of dollars, from the athletic fund I may add. But I can stay quite noften longer. Hire Belichick!!!

The problems with NU defense have not been scheme and nobody (staff included) are saying that.

So despite the fact that Riley - and likely others in the administration - how just demonstrated that they fell that it is, in fact, significantly due to our scheme, you're still refusing to admit that.

Seems legit.

Riley said something to the effect of...we had the same problems this year on defense that we did last year. The things they identified that needed to be fixed, weren't. So Banker is gone. Now, you are completely free to call that a "scheme problem" all you want since it fits your narrative and demands that certain coaches be fired. I simply view it as a performance problem. Banker didn't fix the things that his boss (Riley) said needed fixing. Pretty simple really.

The problems with NU defense have not been scheme and nobody (staff included) are saying that.

So despite the fact that Riley - and likely others in the administration - how just demonstrated that they fell that it is, in fact, significantly due to our scheme, you're still refusing to admit that.

Seems legit.

Riley said something to the effect of...we had the same problems this year on defense that we did last year. The things they identified that needed to be fixed, weren't. So Banker is gone. Now, you are completely free to call that a "scheme problem" all you want since it fits your narrative and demands that certain coaches be fired. I simply view it as a performance problem. Banker didn't fix the things that his boss (Riley) said needed fixing. Pretty simple really.

The funny thing was that in 2015, we got beat a ton on deep passes. In 2016, teams rarely threw it deep in comparison to the year before. It's almost like we got lucky that they decided to stop throwing deep on us, not that we completely shut it down.

Seems legit.

True. But if Riley thought Banker could get them fixed, why would he fire him?

Going to a lot of lengths to try to finesse something that is pretty obvious.

• Fire 1

Seems legit.

True. But if Riley thought Banker could get them fixed, why would he fire him?

Going to a lot of lengths to try to finesse something that is pretty obvious.

I'm not going to any lengths to "finesse". That's what you do. :)

If your boss tells you that a performance issue needs to be fixed and you don't fix it, you lose your job REGARDLESS of your actual ability or inability to fix the problem. You didn't fix it so now you are in the unemployment line. That's simple, no finesse and no agenda.

• Fire 3