The Right-Wing Disinformation Machine

19 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

So, evidence shown to you means nothing. 

I think I’ve responded to much of, not all, of the evidence. No really responds to what I put out there except for basically saying, ok but what about the next thing or not responding at all.  
So, there’s that.  

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

I think I’ve responded to much of, not all, of the evidence. No really responds to what I put out there except for basically saying, ok but what about the next thing or not responding at all.  
So, there’s that.  

You raised some fine questions about some things I offered up, and then I showed you some more where even when all other variables are accounted for, including criminal history, blacks are punished more severely for the same crime as whites. 

The justice system demonstrably treats one race of people differently and worse than another in at least one tangible example, and you don't believe that systemic racism exists at all. What would be an example of something that would actually qualify as systemic racism existing if that doesn't?

• Plus1 3
4 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

You raised some fine questions about some things I offered up, and then I showed you some more where even when all other variables are accounted for, including criminal history, blacks are punished more severely for the same crime as whites. 

The justice system demonstrably treats one race of people differently and worse than another in at least one tangible example, and you don't believe that systemic racism exists at all. What would be an example of something that would actually qualify as systemic racism existing if that doesn't?

One example as you stated does not make the entire US system and way of life racist.  Systemic racism means just that.  The entire system is racist.  Most lefties here believe the US suffers from systemic racism.  I don’t believe that to be true.   There quite clearly could be pockets of bias against blacks that can’t be explained which would constitute racism.  

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 2
20 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

One example as you stated does not make the entire US system and way of life racist.

Okay, but it is an example of a single system being racist. 

20 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Systemic racism means just that.  The entire system is racist.

So, systems can be racist, at least one system is racist, but because not the entire system or not every system is racist, systemic racism doesn't exist.

Am I getting that right? 

• Plus1 1
8 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

Okay, but it is an example of a single system being racist. 

So, systems can be racist, at least one system is racist, but because not the entire system or not every system is racist, systemic racism doesn't exist.

Am I getting that right? 

Too many systems in one sentence for my taste. 

I guess I didn’t really agree the judicial system was racist.  I agreed that pockets of anomalies you have shown (quite honestly I didn’t even look into the link and see the methodology to see if it had a bias or not but just going by the assumption you checked everything out) could be considered racist.  That certainly doesn’t mean most courtrooms or DA’s are racist in how they charge or sentence.  But it shows some could be.  

It’s like the mortgage rate thing people point to for lending systemic racism.  One study I looked at pointed out how blacks paid a higher interest rate, all things normalized (so they say without showing their work), and that was racist.  Well it turns out, the interest rate was .08% higher and amounted to about $460 more over the life of a 30 year loan.
That’s a rounding error almost on the interest paid

• Plus1 2

9 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

One example as you stated does not make the entire US system and way of life racist.

It's hundreds of thousands of sentencing examples, but you know that. And now you're trying the old "you can't claim it's everything!" strawman. Yes, not everything in the entire system is racist but that of course doesn't mean parts of the system aren't racist either - like most things in the real world, it's complex. The desperation of adding "way of life" to the discussion is pretty comical though.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Archy1221 said:

And this is my point.  Yet you all just cry systemic racism and cry about “strawman” argument when someone brings up a counterpoint to refute the supposed “systemic” nature of the problem 

You didn't give a counterpoint. And a system can be both complex and racist. But it's pretty telling that your argument is about the semantics of whether enough of the system is racist to qualify using the term "systemic racism" instead of about the actual racism in the system.

• Plus1 1