The Right-Wing Disinformation Machine

50 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Sooo...this weekend we have a bunch of family stay with us.  I have one brother in law that is all MAGA.  I finally had to tell him to stop sending me things because he got on a kick of sending me MAGA crap.  I never talk about politics with anybody so he, I"m assuming, assumes I'm MAGA too.

Well....this weekend, all of a sudden in a conversation, he breaks out the......"I have two good reliable sources that tell me there ARE kitty litter boxes in the schools for kids to use'.

All of us just sat there silent looking at him.....then went on with our conversation like he never said it.  :facepalm:

you all should have pointed and laughed at him.  

• Plus1 1

11 minutes ago, knapplc said:

They do things like this because their audience is gullible enough to buy into it. 

When your audience lacks critical thinking skills, the money just pours into your pockets.

The facts be d$#&d.   This "every politician can be a target" is foolishness. If the politician is a man or woman of character they have nothing to worry about.  If they are attacked the facts remain on their side if they are a person of character.   So, Shapiro side steps the elephant in the room - Trump is not a man of character and has opened himself up not to attacks but to justified legal action.   Orwellian thinking has taken over the GOP. 

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1

1 hour ago, knapplc said:

They do things like this because their audience is gullible enough to buy into it. 

When your audience lacks critical thinking skills, the money just pours into your pockets.

Back when he still kinda had a point.

It does occur to me that social media has changed the national discourse considerably in the last decade. Maybe we're even underestimating it.

Whether you're monetizing your Twitter account, accumulating the views that make you an Influencer, or simply running a fundraising campaign, the payday is engagement, and the key to engagement is anger and argument, leading to partisan exaggeration and hot button headlines. 

Doesn't explain everything. But it explains a lot. There's not much motive to be measured and reasonable these days. 

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 2
11 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

It does occur to me that social media has changed the national discourse considerably in the last decade. Maybe we're even underestimating it.

Whether you're monetizing your Twitter account, accumulating the views that make you an Influencer, or simply running a fundraising campaign, the payday is engagement, and the key to engagement is anger and argument, leading to partisan exaggeration and hot button headlines. 

Doesn't explain everything. But it explains a lot. There's not much motive to be measured and reasonable these days. 

So very true.   And you have the Russian bot farms cultivating unrest in every possible way - feeding disinformation like candy

• TBH 1
36 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

It is impossible to OVER state the power social media has had in all of this crap.

3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Unfortunately, a lot of right winger Fox junkies clammer onto this as though it's not a joke.  It's just the start of blaming all of the damage...etc on Biden.

It was literally a joke making fun of people like myself who do blame The Big Guy for uncontrolled immigration.   Your source tried to get people to believe Fox News was seriously blaming The Big Guy for the storm hitting the US.  You posted the thing you claim to hate:facepalm:

• Haha 1
  • TBH 1
2 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

It was literally a joke making fun of people like myself who do blame The Big Guy for uncontrolled immigration.   Your source tried to get people to believe Fox News was seriously blaming The Big Guy for the storm hitting the US.  You posted the thing you claim to hate:facepalm:

Yeah, but Fox is playing to a crowd of chem trail and Jewish Space Laser believers, so the funny part how many people won't get the joke.  

The same people also believe BLM rioters killed 30 police officers, unlike the peaceful J6 protestors. 

What's up with these people? 

• TBH 4