The Republican Utopia

9 minutes ago, knapplc said:

If it's "not a big deal" then why did DeSantis cite "pushing God out" while signing this into law. 

If he'd have signed this same law, but required the kids to use a mat and face Mecca, there would be one hell of a different reaction here. 

You're being disingenuous with regards to the bold. The law "allows" for prayer, but doesn't "require" it. If Muslim students choose to take their 2 minutes to do as you describe, I have absolutely no issue with it. They can pray to Allah with their 2 minutes as they see fit, and agnostics can practice mindfulness and Buddhists repeat their Mantra...

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, DevoHusker said:

You're being disingenuous with regards to the bold. The law "allows" for prayer, but doesn't "require" it. If Muslim students choose to take their 2 minutes to do as you describe, I have absolutely no issue with it. They can pray to Allah with their 2 minutes as they see fit, and agnostics can practice mindfulness and Buddhists repeat their Mantra...

We do that now.  

Again, honestly, 99% of the students do nothing with this time.  100% of the teachers do nothing with this time.  

• Plus1 1
Just now, DevoHusker said:

The law does not "allow for." It REQUIRES. Kids are REQUIRED to spend two minutes in prayer sessions. Not everyone is gullible enough to fall for the verbiage DeSantis is using with his "meditation" and "mindfulness" nonsense - we know it's prayer time.

If it were optional, if the kids who wanted to pray or meditate or whatever were given a space where they could do that, while kids who want no part in this are free to just do normal school activities, I'd have no problem with that. But some kids are not religious, and do not need to have Islam or Christianity or Buddhism in their lives. 

4 minutes ago, teachercd said:

We do that now.  

Again, honestly, 99% of the students do nothing with this time.  100% of the teachers do nothing with this time.  

Isn't that wasted time? Shouldn't we just have the kids & teachers do normal school stuff & let them have their religious time (or "meditation time" :rolleyes: ) at home, and not have state-mandated religious observance?

59 minutes ago, knapplc said:

shall require teachers in first-period classrooms in all grades to set aside at least one minute but not more than two minutes daily for the moment of silence. Teachers may not make suggestions as to the nature of any reflection that a student may engage in during the moment of silence

that's from your post.

• Plus1 1

Just now, knapplc said:

Isn't that wasted time? Shouldn't we just have the kids & teachers do normal school stuff & let them have their religious time (or "meditation time :rolleyes: ) at home, and not have state-mandated religious observance?

In my opinion?  Yes, it is wasted time.  Every minute that normies take away from us teachers is a minute we have to make up somewhere else.

I already have to cover some 270 years of US History in about 8.5 months.  Do you know how hard it is to show Rocky IV, in its entirety, to let the kids know all about the Cold War, when normies are taking away my time?

I would rather the normies stay out of education at all levels, if you don't teach or have not taught for a minimum of 10 years, you should have no say at any level, school board to department of education.  

Just like I should have no say on how many poles OPPD puts in the ground each day.  

By the way, you know what OPPD stands for?  One Pole Per Day!  ZING

Just now, knapplc said:

"God" - DeSantis

That's also from my post. 

Super! But it isn't in the law he just signed. You will continue to twist this to fit your preconceived views on religion. Sorry you can't see the benefit of having a minute or two of reflection for the benefit of these students. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
Just now, DevoHusker said:

Super! But it isn't in the law he just signed. You will continue to twist this to fit your preconceived views on religion. Sorry you can't see the benefit of having a minute or two of reflection for the benefit of these students. 

It doesn't have to be in the law. The point of the law is clear, and he made it crystal clear by citing God as his reason in his statement. 

It's also clear who is advocating for this (Christian) and who is opposed to it (iireligious).  That's not an accident.

• Plus1 1

6 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Can you stop with the dishonesty.  

What about that is dishonest? It's a prayer session (source: DeSantis, "God"), the kids are required to be there, in the room, with the people praying. 

Are the kids allowed to opt out? Nope. Are the people who want to use this time doing it away from the kids who want to opt out? Nope. 

Dishonest? Nope. 

3 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Two full ones

Then some documentaries for other classes that I teach on the death penalty, college campus sexual assault and gender. 

Kids don't get the same thrill we got back in the day when the TV was rolled into the room. Today you have A/V equipment hanging from your ceiling, right? It's just always there. 

You knew when that TV rolled in, it was going to be a good day.

• Plus1 1