The Republican Utopia

6 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Nope 

DeSantis is correct that "Don't Say Gay" is liberal sloganeering that misrepresents what the law actually does. 

On the other hand, the bill's supporters admit it is aimed at letting parents control the subject of LGBT with their children. On yet another hand, it is one of many bills across the U.S. attempting to give parents more control over classroom language and curricula, at least as it fits the more conservative agenda. Science and accuracy are not necessarily consulted. 

Also, Ron DeSantis is running for President by proving he can be just as big of a red meat demagogue as Donald Trump. 

And that's your Republican Utopia. 

• Plus1 4

Now that the promulgator of the bill knows there's a glaring problem with the language, why not pull it and fix the age requirement?

Unless that's a feature, not a bug...

GOP bill would eliminate age requirements for marriages in Tennessee

A proposal making its way through the state legislature would establish a common-law marriage between “one man” and “one woman.”

The bill’s sponsor, Tom Leatherwood (R-Arlington) said the law being considered would add a new marriage option for Tennesseans.

But missing from the bill are age requirements, opening the door for possible child marriages — something the bill sponsor acknowledged during a Children and Family Affairs subcommittee.

“There is not an explicit age limit,” Leatherwood said.

Rep. Mike Stewart (D-Nashville), who sits on the subcommittee the bill passed out of, said he doesn’t understand the motivation.

“I don’t think any normal person thinks we shouldn’t have an age requirement for marriage,” he said.

He added it could open up the possibility to cover up child sex abuse.

“It should not be there, as it’s basically a get-out-of-jail-free card for people who are basically committing statutory rape — I mean it’s completely ridiculous, so that’s another reason why this terrible bill should be eliminated,” Stewart said.

The Sexual Assault Center of Middle Tennessee released the following statement to News 2:

“The Sexual Assault Center does not believe the age of consent for marriage should be any younger than it already is. It makes children more vulnerable to coercion and manipulation from predators, sexual and other.”

According to UNICEF, approximately 300,000 girls and boys in the U.S. were married before reaching 18 years old between 2000-2018.

Under current Tennessee law, one can get married as young as 17 years old with parental consent.

• Fire 1
4 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I had hopes, however dim, in late November 2016 that the election of Trump and politicians like him that oversimplify and vilify would lead to an awaking in American politics.  I hoped that common sense people from the left and the right would recognize what our system had turned into and we would put a renewed priority on responsible, sensible, and "grown up" government.  I hoped...

The idiots are winning.

• Plus1 1

5 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I view accusations like this in much the same light as I view Republicans' accusations of voter fraud. The vast majority of those we're seeing committing actual factual voter fraud are Republicans. 

The bloated cheeto was the biggest perpetrator of this kind of transference, and apparently when he sneezes the entire GOP catches the cold. 

We need look no further than the post just above yours - from the state next door to MTG's.  

7 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

Something tells me that Florida's sex conversations bill isn't going to apply to references to cisgendered or heterosexual examples. Just a hunch.

Someone posted a Tweet about a teacher's statement.  Teachers could easily raise a stink about how Desantis disallowed the use of pronouns in public schools in grades K-3 or talking about family vacations over the summer since it is reasonable to assume the kids will be talking about "Mom and Dad".  

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, funhusker said:

Someone posted a Tweet about a teacher's statement.  Teachers could easily raise a stink about how Desantis disallowed the use of pronouns in public schools in grades K-3 or talking about family vacations over the summer since it is reasonable to assume the kids will be talking about "Mom and Dad".  

The problem is, the law stipulates that the cost of the defense rests with the school system. So the teacher can sue, but their employer would suffer, even if they won a moral victory in court. 

• Plus1 2
4 minutes ago, knapplc said:

The problem is, the law stipulates that the cost of the defense rests with the school system. So the teacher can sue, but their employer would suffer, even if they won a moral victory in court. 

I was thinking more along the lines of not allowing kids to tell stories about family and sending home a note about how gendered pronouns will no longer be allowed.  It wouldn't be long before a parent threw a fit and called the school.  It would potentially put the state in a position that they would have to clarify what their intentions actually are.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, funhusker said:

I don’t believe it is reasonable to assume talking about “mom and dad” in a non sexual context would violate the law.   If that’s how dopes want to take it, then I guess they are free to sue and get clarification from the courts.  

• Plus1 1
Just now, Archy1221 said:

I don’t believe it is reasonable to assume talking about “mom and dad” in a non sexual context would violate the law.   If that’s how dopes want to take it, then I guess they are free to sue and get clarification from the courts.  

What about Mom and Mom....or Dad and Dad?