The Republican Utopia

On 1/5/2024 at 6:40 PM, BigRedBuster said:

:laughpound

To bad for everyone else that’s in the same boat. 

I was noticing you had been posting quite a bit since this one when I asked if you knew what research Scalise voted against and what treatment he was receiving since you made it seem he was being hypocritical.  

in the time researching and making your other posts, were you able to find out as I never saw a correction or a reaffirmation.  

• Fire 1
17 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

I was noticing you had been posting quite a bit since this one when I asked if you knew what research Scalise voted against and what treatment he was receiving since you made it seem he was being hypocritical.  

in the time researching and making your other posts, were you able to find out as I never saw a correction or a reaffirmation.  

Nope….did you?

1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

If you remember three years ago today, Republican leadership and even Fox News stood up and said "that's enough."  They considered the insurrection a huge embarrassment for Trump, and the "stolen election" narrative a disastrous path for the party. The party brass and major donors had long wanted to be free of Trump, and January 6 gave them the cover. They declared unambiguously that Biden's election was legitimate and it was time to move on from Donald Trump.

Then their offices got inundated and directly threatened by Trump supporters. They got primaried by even farther right candidates. Fringe political players found they could become stars on the conservative circuits by displaying unquestioned loyalty to Trump and ginning up the stolen election conspiracies. The polls suggested that Trump had not gone too far at all: his base — the base every Republican would need, to stay in office — had held firm. 

And then all those Republicans who had stood up to Donald Trump began falling like dominos, denying they ever said anything bad. The only ones who still have the "courage" to criticize him have left office, voluntarily or not. 

Also, Trump has threatened everyone who ever crossed him and has already stated his plans to use another round of the Presidency to exact his revenge. That's what they're afraid of. 

Precisely. 

The Republican Party and the right wing mechanisms that enable then tried to shed themselves of the MAGA movement knowing it's toxic sludge that's bad for their politics and bad for America. 

The main problem is that MAGA voters love it. They do not care about Democracy, American values, or anything that doesn't conform to their misplaced anger and downright delusion.

51 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Nope….did you?

I didn’t make the political insinuation of him being a hypocrite for that instance.  I thought you may have been able to provide evidence since you have been against unfounded political party attacks and disinformation in the past. 

• TBH 1
4 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

The definition of centrist must have changed for some over the last decade or so.  Heck, people here would probably now consider Bill Clinton far right. 

No, but he was definitely a centrist. As was Hillary, who back in the day even got praise from her Republican colleagues in the Senate. Obama would be considered a centrist in pretty much any era of American politics. 

A moderate Republican today would be someone slightly to the right of center. A Kasich, Sasse, Romney,  or Kinzinger perhaps. Basically Rinos who could no longer get elected. Which suggests the "center" is maybe.....Mitch McConnell? Is that possible?

As you can see, the "center" has moved way to the right in the last couple decades. 

• TBH 3

On 1/6/2024 at 11:39 AM, Archy1221 said:

Not sure why I didn’t respond to this statement earlier.   The PA SCOTUS decision was not an unfounded theory or based on unsupported evidence. 

I meant to ask more about the PA SCOTUS decision, as it had never appeared on my radar during the years long debate on the subject. I'd assumed if it was a more legitimate example of electoral malfeasance -- the kind that would explain the doubts of the more thoughtful Republicans -- it would have been a centerpiece of the stolen election narrative,  especially after the other best evidence had thrown out by 62 different courts and judges, many of them fellow Republicans. If the subject is polls and perceptions, I'm not sure many people can cite this case at all, perhaps because it was already rendered moot.  

Is this it, or are you talking about a different decision? 

https://www.scotusblog.com/2022/10/justices-vacate-lower-courts-ruling-in-pennsylvania-ballot-counting-case-that-is-now-moot/