The Republican Utopia

There was a great article I read afterwards in I think the Atlantic that summoned it up several things.  Hillary lost the union vote in the rust belt.  (Joe mostly won that back in 2020)

She ignored places Wisconsin, Michigan, Pennsylvania and Ohio.  In Ohio she was almost a double digit favorite according to the Dem polls in Ohio.  I watched the live feed at Dem headquarters the night of the vote in 2016.  

Some Dems, hated HRC.  My sister is a hard core Dem.  She voted Trump.  (I am sworn to secrecy on that in the family)  

All the rest of the things you are all saying played part in it too.

• TBH 1

1 hour ago, Crusader Husker said:

There was a great article I read afterwards in I think the Atlantic that summoned it up several things.  Hillary lost the union vote in the rust belt.  (Joe mostly won that back in 2020)

She ignored places Wisconsin, Michigan, Pennsylvania and Ohio.  In Ohio she was almost a double digit favorite according to the Dem polls in Ohio.  I watched the live feed at Dem headquarters the night of the vote in 2016.  

Some Dems, hated HRC.  My sister is a hard core Dem.  She voted Trump.  (I am sworn to secrecy on that in the family)  

All the rest of the things you are all saying played part in it too.

Yes I would argue the rust belt “Protest Voters” had a pretty significant impact in 2016 as well.

2012 Wisconsin: 1,620,985 votes for Obama Biden and 1,407,966 votes for Romney Ryan and approximately 40k votes for “other” candidates. Dems margin of victory is 213k Dems win handily if all protest voters had voted R. 

2016 Wisconsin: 1,405,284 votes for Trump Pence and 1,382,536 votes for Clinton Kaine and well over 150k votes going to “other” candidates. Reps margin of victory is 23k votes (with a worse R turnout than 2012), easily defeated if a fifth of the protest voters vote D. 

2012 Michigan: 2,564,569 votes for Obama Biden and 2,115,256 votes for Romney Ryan with approximately 50k votes for “other” candidates. Dems margin of victory is 400k and win handily if all 50k protest votes had gone R instead. 

2016 Michigan: 2,279,543 votes for Trump Pence and 2,268,839 votes for Clinton Kaine and approximately 250k votes for “other” candidates. Reps margin of victory is 11k with 250k protest votes. R’s are easily defeated if a tenth of protest voters vote D.

2012 Pennsylvania: 2,990,274 votes for Obama Biden and 2,680,434 votes for Romney Ryan with approximately 80k votes for “other” candidates. Dems margin of victory is 310k votes, and win handily if all protest voters had voted R. 

2016 Pennsylvania: 2,970,733 votes for Trump Pence and 2,926,441 votes for Clinton Kaine with nearly 250k votes for “other” candidates. R margin of victory is 44k votes and are defeated if a fifth of the protest voters had voted D. 

46 Electoral Votes between these three states, enough to swing the election, decided by approximately 80k votes with 650k votes going to candidates with no possible shot at winning. 

• Worth a Look 1
23 hours ago, Fru said:

Yes I would argue the rust belt “Protest Voters” had a pretty significant impact in 2016 as well.

2012 Wisconsin: 1,620,985 votes for Obama Biden and 1,407,966 votes for Romney Ryan and approximately 40k votes for “other” candidates. Dems margin of victory is 213k Dems win handily if all protest voters had voted R. 

2016 Wisconsin: 1,405,284 votes for Trump Pence and 1,382,536 votes for Clinton Kaine and well over 150k votes going to “other” candidates. Reps margin of victory is 23k votes (with a worse R turnout than 2012), easily defeated if a fifth of the protest voters vote D. 

2012 Michigan: 2,564,569 votes for Obama Biden and 2,115,256 votes for Romney Ryan with approximately 50k votes for “other” candidates. Dems margin of victory is 400k and win handily if all 50k protest votes had gone R instead. 

2016 Michigan: 2,279,543 votes for Trump Pence and 2,268,839 votes for Clinton Kaine and approximately 250k votes for “other” candidates. Reps margin of victory is 11k with 250k protest votes. R’s are easily defeated if a tenth of protest voters vote D.

2012 Pennsylvania: 2,990,274 votes for Obama Biden and 2,680,434 votes for Romney Ryan with approximately 80k votes for “other” candidates. Dems margin of victory is 310k votes, and win handily if all protest voters had voted R. 

2016 Pennsylvania: 2,970,733 votes for Trump Pence and 2,926,441 votes for Clinton Kaine with nearly 250k votes for “other” candidates. R margin of victory is 44k votes and are defeated if a fifth of the protest voters had voted D. 

46 Electoral Votes between these three states, enough to swing the election, decided by approximately 80k votes with 650k votes going to candidates with no possible shot at winning. 

Impossible!  People do not change their minds!

I kid, I kid.

• Plus1 3

6 hours ago, teachercd said:

Impossible!  People do not change their minds!

I kid, I kid.

Yes, my entire post is about people changing their minds/voting a different way. I’m confused as to why you think I implied something different?

34 minutes ago, Fru said:

Yes, my entire post is about people changing their minds/voting a different way. I’m confused as to why you think I implied something different?

Not you!

It was a joke because strangelove has said over and over that people never change their minds.

Sorry FRU the conFRUsion. 

• Haha 2
  • Fire 1
33 minutes ago, ZRod said:

I'll take it they haven't heard of the Kennedys...

Oh my gosh, right?

The LOVE FEST for the Kennedy family is insane.  Had media coverage or social media been around the Kennedy-bros would have been like "What the f#&%, I thought these were decent people?!?!"

• Plus1 1
18 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Oh my gosh, right?

The LOVE FEST for the Kennedy family is insane.  Had media coverage or social media been around the Kennedy-bros would have been like "What the f#&%, I thought these were decent people?!?!"

They would have had millions of followers!! Oh, and...the CIA killed both of them so....

• Fire 1