The Republican Utopia

48 minutes ago, funhusker said:

I would hope that a Trump defeat in November would allow these idiots to take of the chains.  But sadly I think Trump will be so bitter that he will hold his base as hostages and basically govern the GOP by telling his followers who to vote for...

I used to think that the power brokers of the party would eventually get burned out from Trump and decide to move on.

Given the losses in the ‘18 Midterms, the ‘20 General and the massive underperforming in ‘22 Midterms, the endless indictments, charges, lawsuits, installing his daughter in law to drain RNC funds, and the overall endless chaos he brings… and there's barely a whisper of moving on from him. I don’t think they ever will now. Which doesn’t make sense to me from a strategical perspective. If you had that kind of candidate on paper without a name, no political entity would touch them. 

And to the people who say “Oh but his base is so fanatical, the R’s can’t lose his base.” Yes. They are fanatical, but they’ve clearly not given the party a boost in power. They’ve either lost or underperformed in every election cycle. 

There’s a palpable hunger in this country, on both sides of the aisle, for someone new, different and young. I think this hunger far outweighs the MAGA base. I’ll never understand why the R’s can’t recognize this and move on. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • TBH 2

1 hour ago, teachercd said:

I was thinking about this as well.  I hope the defeat is just the end of trump and not him being like "Well, we are getting ready to run again in 28"

Part of me thinks the only reason he is currently running is because he wants to avoid any and all jail time. That's why he is asking for immunity from the Supreme Court. The fact that he is asking for immunity makes me think he believes there is a chance he is convicted and may face consequences. So if he looses later this year, he may be in jail and thus won't be able to run in 28. 

• TBH 1
55 minutes ago, Fru said:

There’s a palpable hunger in this country, on both sides of the aisle, for someone new, different and young. I think this hunger far outweighs the MAGA base. I’ll never understand why the R’s can’t recognize this and move on. 

I agree with the hunger on both sides.  

Regarding the bold:  I can't help but think that in some of those document boxes illegally taken by Trump and stored in his bathroom is incrimination files on major movers and shakers in the GOP.  Why do people like Cruz, Rubio, Graham and so many others fall like a house of cards from their previous anti-trump position and are now cult members without Trump having info on them that they don't want out?  Maybe they just want power and have no values - very likely but I don't think that explains it all.  

3 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Well....then voters need to make a statement on this in November.

This is no different than the Obama folks telling Biden what to do.   No one seriously thinks Biden is making all the decisions at the WH with his current mental functions. 

• Haha 3
  • Fire 1
1 hour ago, Fru said:

I used to think that the power brokers of the party would eventually get burned out from Trump and decide to move on.

Given the losses in the ‘18 Midterms, the ‘20 General and the massive underperforming in ‘22 Midterms, the endless indictments, charges, lawsuits, installing his daughter in law to drain RNC funds, and the overall endless chaos he brings… and there's barely a whisper of moving on from him. I don’t think they ever will now. Which doesn’t make sense to me from a strategical perspective. If you had that kind of candidate on paper without a name, no political entity would touch them. 

And to the people who say “Oh but his base is so fanatical, the R’s can’t lose his base.” Yes. They are fanatical, but they’ve clearly not given the party a boost in power. They’ve either lost or underperformed in every election cycle. 

I agree.   DeSantis would have dominated this general election 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2
29 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

I agree with the hunger on both sides.  

Regarding the bold:  I can't help but think that in some of those document boxes illegally taken by Trump and stored in his bathroom is incrimination files on major movers and shakers in the GOP.  Why do people like Cruz, Rubio, Graham and so many others fall like a house of cards from their previous anti-trump position and are now cult members without Trump having info on them that they don't want out?  Maybe they just want power and have no values - very likely but I don't think that explains it all.  

I wouldn’t put it past him. The infamous Anthony Kennedy video comes to mind. But I think it’s far more likely that Cruz, Rubio, Graham etc are just feckless cowards. 

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 1

1 hour ago, Fru said:

There have been multiple times since 2015 when the Republican establishment and donor class let it be known they didn't want Trump. Even Rupert Murdoch tried to take out Trump. The majority of high profile Republican lawmakers immediately conceded Biden's election as fair, and strongly denounced January 6 and Trump's role. The table was set to move on. 

But every time a Republican came out against Trump, they were savaged by their home state voters, and primaried by MAGA loyalists. No surprise that they would use ugly language and threats.

So it's not simply that Republicans are afraid of losing the base, they are literally afraid of the base.

The handful of elected Republicans who had the courage to call out Trump's unsavory hold on the party either chose not to run for reelection, or lost to a Trump loyalist. 

I will never fully understand the spell Trump has on people so unlike him, but between the cult of personality and the more traditional Republicans who will vote for any Republican over Biden, this demented demagogue has more than a chance at regaining the White House. 

• Plus1 1
31 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

I agree.   DeSantis would have dominated this general election 

Voters have their choice in the primaries, and Republicans chose to dislike Ron DeSantis. The more they got to know him, the more they disliked him. Not my opinion, just math.

If you're wondering if having Trump removed from the equation would have made DeSantis or Haley better general election candidates, we will never know.  

• Plus1 1
13 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Voters have their choice in the primaries, and Republicans chose to dislike Ron DeSantis. The more they got to know him, the more they disliked him. Not my opinion, just math.

Might have missed Carefully worded General Election piece.   He was top second choice candidate after someone’s primary choice just prior to Iowa.   Not my opinion just fact.  If Trump were not a candidate DeSantis would have run away with the primary.   

• Plus1 1