The Republican Utopia

1 hour ago, TGHusker said:

Good tweets - and true

I agree. I feel like you & BRB & other conservatives that wonder in here are the types of reasonable, respectable folks with whom I disagree on certain things but I dang well respect as people.

The problem is I'm not sure your brand of conservatives are the majority in the party anymore. I feel like you've been overrun by the Hannity & Rush crowd, the Faustian evangelicals, those who elevate power above principle & more recently, the ugly alt-right types.

• Plus1 1

37 minutes ago, Clifford Franklin said:

Blankenship responded this morning. Oh boy...

This is just two revolting people smacking each other around publicly now.

Pure entertainment. 

A person who just got out of prison for having a dangerous work place where employees were killed being attacked by a sexual preditor after that preditor supported a child mollester for senate.....and then that ex-con firing back acting like he has the moral high ground. 

Priceless. 

• Plus1 1
38 minutes ago, Clifford Franklin said:

I agree. I feel like you & BRB & other conservatives that wonder in here are the types of reasonable, respectable folks with whom I disagree on certain things but I dang well respect as people.

The problem is I'm not sure your brand of conservatives are the majority in the party anymore. I feel like you've been overrun by the Hannity & Rush crowd, the Faustian evangelicals, those who elevate power above principle & more recently, the ugly alt-right types.

Clifford you are correct I fear.    We aren't a majority any longer.  BRB and I would not be considered conservative enough any more. I feel like I'm a voter without a party right now.  Maybe that is a very good thing.  It fees me to vote for a Democrat if an acceptable one is running in by District or for Senate or any local/state offices.  I've seen alot of craziness over the past few years by Republicans in Oklahoma.  The litmus test becomes narrower and narrower as politicians try to 'out conservative' the other guy.   I think the real issue is the definition of conservative has been co-opped by radicals who are redefining it into 'nationalism' that is not conservative or truly patriotic (by patriotic I mean - accepting all people who are citizens of all colors and across the political spectrum and not just those who agree wt the brand of patriotism that Trump and repubs push.)   Their version isn't what I signed up for. 

• Plus1 3
20 hours ago, TGHusker said:

Clifford you are correct I fear.    We aren't a majority any longer.  BRB and I would not be considered conservative enough any more. I feel like I'm a voter without a party right now.  Maybe that is a very good thing.  It fees me to vote for a Democrat if an acceptable one is running in by District or for Senate or any local/state offices.  I've seen alot of craziness over the past few years by Republicans in Oklahoma.  The litmus test becomes narrower and narrower as politicians try to 'out conservative' the other guy.   I think the real issue is the definition of conservative has been co-opped by radicals who are redefining it into 'nationalism' that is not conservative or truly patriotic (by patriotic I mean - accepting all people who are citizens of all colors and across the political spectrum and not just those who agree wt the brand of patriotism that Trump and repubs push.)   Their version isn't what I signed up for. 

Man, I wish there were Republicans that I could stomach voting for. Because now the Dems can basically run sh!t candidates and say, "Well, you can't vote for those crazies!"

The two party system sucks.

• Plus1 4
2 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Man, I wish there were Republicans that I could stomach voting for. Because now the Dems can basically run sh!t candidates and say, "Well, you can't vote for those crazies!"

Yep. And then when the Dems get in power and feel free to do whatever they want, we're going to be bitching about them in P&R.

At which point we'll all probably be accused of being conservatives. :D

• Plus1 3

4 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Yep. And then when the Dems get in power and feel free to do whatever they want, we're going to be bitching about them in P&R.

At which point we'll all probably be accused of being conservatives. :D

I think @zoogs already thinks I'm a conservative. :D

1 hour ago, RedDenver said:

Maybe we get a strong independent ticket to run against Trump.  Imagine this situation:  2020 Trump is Repub candidate, The Dems run a far left ticket to counter Trump.  Kasich with a moderate Dem run as a independent or libertarian - maybe then we can crack the 2 party system. 

1 hour ago, RedDenver said:

The Vox article I posted in the Dems Rebuild thread made me feel a little bit better about Dem priorities right now instead of thinking they were strictly running on anti-GOP/Trump tickets.

If they get elected, holding their feet to the fire is another matter. Obviously "repeal & replace," the cornerstone of electing Republicans for the last decade, has pretty much fallen apart because Republicans actually own healthcare now. I do feel the types of policies Dems are proposing would be net positive for the country, so at least there's that difference.

• Plus1 1
23 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Maybe we get a strong independent ticket to run against Trump.  Imagine this situation:  2020 Trump is Repub candidate, The Dems run a far left ticket to counter Trump.  Kasich with a moderate Dem run as a independent or libertarian - maybe then we can crack the 2 party system. 

The problem is the 270 bar for getting elected. If that third party took enough votes such that none of them reached 270 electoral votes, then the Senate gets to pick the President. We really need to either amend the Constitution or allow some sort of ranked-choice style voting to get rid of the two party system.