The Republican Utopia

40 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Great job Republicans.  These books have been corrupting our kids for a very long time.  It's about time these horrible books were burned.

:clap

Catcher in the Rye and Ulysses were some of my personnel favorites and would be a shame to ban them or Color Purple from HS libraries.  

That said, the tweeter claims they are currently banning those books, when the article he referenced says they are in a process of review.  The article also specifically mentions Kindergarten, so it’s unclear if these books are under review for certain grades or all levels.   Do any of the three listed need to be or should be in grade school libraries.   Obviously no.  But they should be in HS libraries.   So a bit more context is needed here about grade levels and he needs to follow up once the review is over to clarify his outrage in my personal opinion. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I think this is an excellent jumping off point to remind Adam, Lauren and any other member of Congress TO QUIT LUMPING EVERYTHING INTO ONE GIANT SPENDING BILL/OMNIBUS.  

Let’s get back to smaller appropriations bills and debates about those bills so individual Congress members are on record about those specific issues.  Voting no for a giant Omnibus bill that has 10 things someone is opposed to but 4 that person is in favor of and then having each side do the thing Lauren and Adam are doing is what people hate.   It gives people an out to vote no on everything yet take credit for some spending and gives others the ability to criticize a no vote when it would probably be a yes vote if the appropriation was part of a much smaller much more relevant standalone bill.  

Omnibus bills and lumping everything together sucks. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
9 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Catcher in the Rye and Ulysses were some of my personnel favorites and would be a shame to ban them or Color Purple from HS libraries.  

That said, the tweeter claims they are currently banning those books, when the article he referenced says they are in a process of review.  The article also specifically mentions Kindergarten, so it’s unclear if these books are under review for certain grades or all levels.   Do any of the three listed need to be or should be in grade school libraries.   Obviously no.  But they should be in HS libraries.   So a bit more context is needed here about grade levels and he needs to follow up once the review is over to clarify his outrage in my personal opinion. 

Because so many grade school kids are sitting around reading Catcher and the Rye.  Even if the book was in the grade school library, no kid is going to pick it up.  And, if they do, it's probably some genius kid that's going to go to college at 14 years of age.

This is an idiotic thing that they are even being reviewed.

• TBH 3
2 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

I think this is an excellent jumping off point to remind Adam, Lauren and any other member of Congress TO QUIT LUMPING EVERYTHING INTO ONE GIANT SPENDING BILL/OMNIBUS.  

Let’s get back to smaller appropriations bills and debates about those bills so individual Congress members are on record about those specific issues.  Voting no for a giant Omnibus bill that has 10 things someone is opposed to but 4 that person is in favor of and then having each side do the thing Lauren and Adam are doing is what people hate.   It gives people an out to vote no on everything yet take credit for some spending and gives others the ability to criticize a no vote when it would probably be a yes vote if the appropriation was part of a much smaller much more relevant standalone bill.  

Omnibus bills and lumping everything together sucks. 

I'm fine with getting to smaller bills.

But, it's pretty pathetic to vote against a bill then brag that you brought that money to the district.  There is no both sides on this bill and issue.  Lauren clearly voted against it.  So.....fine....shut up and enjoy the money.  But, don't come out and brag that YOU brought that money home.

• TBH 3
6 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Because so many grade school kids are sitting around reading Catcher and the Rye.  Even if the book was in the grade school library, no kid is going to pick it up.  And, if they do, it's probably some genius kid that's going to go to college at 14 years of age.

This is an idiotic thing that they are even being reviewed.

If they picked it up, they'd immediately put it back down. It's not compelling writing to a grade-school kid.

• TBH 1
16 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Because so many grade school kids are sitting around reading Catcher and the Rye

Having a current grade schooler, I don’t find this to be the case.  I will ask other parents just to make sure though for you.  

17 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Even if the book was in the grade school library, no kid is going to pick it up. 

Then they don’t really need to be in the library at the school in the first place in my opinion 

• Plus1 1