What would make people feel less ostracized from P&R?

they're now having to defend the indefensible.

I think some people are feeling ostracized because they're finally realizing that their votes have consequences

Defend what?

Are you including all those losers that voted for 3rd party candidate that must feel like sh#t.

I think some people are feeling ostracized because they're finally realizing that their votes have consequences

Defend what?

Are you including all those losers that voted for 3rd party candidate that must feel like sh#t.

For example, I've asked plenty of times for someone to defend putting Rick Perry in charge of the nukes. I'm yet to get a response.

Or defending putting a 5 year old in handcuffs.

https://twitter.com/barrytgoldberg/status/826040518060699650

Or having someone like Bannon on National Security council. Not divesting from his businesses. Ya'know. Things like that.

To your second question. Yes, to a degree. I'm not going to refer to them losers. I'm sure there's plenty of people who voted 3rd party who wish they hadn't now.

Defend what?

Everyone has to defend their vote in the face of criticism. I voted for Hillary Clinton, one of the worst candidates in my lifetime. I can be called on to answer why I did that, and I will. I have no problem explaining that position, and no problem admitting that it was an odious vote to have cast.

That vote is not immune to criticism, and while I can answer some of the criticisms leveled against me, I cannot answer them all.

It is not an injustice for someone to call me out for that vote. It is not a wrong. On this forum I have several choices on how I answer those criticisms: Accept them, challenge them with facts, or simply not answer them.

If I accept them, then I live with the knowledge that I did something wrong. We've all done that, we all live with that knowledge in some facet of our lives. It isn't the worst thing.

If I challenge them, it's incumbent upon me to provide facts and logic to show why my accusers are wrong. How successful I am at that depends in a large way in how logically I approached my vote in the first place. The less logic used, the more difficult it will be to defend my position.

If I simply choose not to answer my critics, that's fine. But if that is my choice, I won't snipe at those critics from the sidelines because that is not something I equate with integrity.

Every position in P&R can be called into question. Every position should be defended. That's the nature of these conversations. If people choose not to participate in that process, fine. But they shouldn't bitch about those of us who do.

• Fire 3

Why do you feel attacked, Teach?

Honestly, I feel like answering this will create issues and I hate that. That is why I use status update thing so much.

Just jump in Teach. Everyone has an opinion, and not everyone will agree with it. But, I bet there are some that will.

Yes, please. Don't be afraid that someone will tell you you're wrong. Have the courage of your convictions. Answer the questions I posed to you in post #3.

I do...I simply don't have faith in some of the mods that ban and suspend.

• Fire 1

I think the conservative posters on this board would feel less excluded if they just admitted that they were wrong about Trump. Admit that the man is crazy, and has absolutely no clue how to run a government, or manage equal egos around the globe. I consider myself an Independent, with a slight conservative lean (Voted for Obama both terms, however). As a Republican, you can say that Trump may stand for your party, but he doesn't stand for you personally. Denouncing Trump isn't to side with the left, it's to side with America, at this point.

At this point, I think a lot of Trump "supporters" prefer to give everyone the double-bird and spout off on how great things are, just because "their team won".

Their ignorance is astounding, really. A lack of success in life because of racism, or "systematic equality" isn't something I put a lot of stock into (I think circumstances that some African-Americans find themselves in are as much an indictment on their culture, as anything else), BUT, I have no doubt that Trump's election, and his supporter's reaction to his candidacy, are a response to having a black President these past 8 years.... If McCain would of been our President these last 8 years you wouldn't have seen the rise of Trump.

Thanks so much for the warm fuzzy declaration. The reasons to vote for Trump can vary and you aren't wrong that for some it was a racist response to Obama. Some wanted a person with some business experience which is not what we had the last 8 years. Some wanted a better chance (not a 100% chance though) of getting a conservative leaning judge or two on the Supreme Court. The only reason I saw to vote for McCain 8 years ago ( and idiot Sarah Palin wasn't it) was the likelihood of a Dem congress that would create a stalemate and hopefully force some true negotiations. I also saw a possibility that Repubs could have lost the Senate in Nov that would have tempered how Trump would govern. I don't think you can lump us all into one mindless herd and call us ignorant and I take offense to the blanket statement.

• Fire 1

There's a few simplistic critiques of the P&R forum that I don't think really hold up:

1. "It's pointless. Everyone has their opinion on everything and nobody will ever change their mind."

^ This is just a lie. When I started posting on this board, I was an extremely staunch, conservative, zealous evangelical. I've since transformed into a pretty loosely-affiliated Christian mystic with liberal and conservative streaks that's more interested in conversation than stances. Knapp was a Christian when he started posting here and is now an atheist. Both of us, and plenty of others, have had life change influenced by the conversations in this forum.

2. "The mods are all liberals and treat conservatives unfairly."

Again, what's the basis of evidence? Teach keeps referencing people being banned because of being conservative - who are you referring to? Count? He was literally trying to get banned. What about 84 Husker Law? What about bnillhome, who some of us thought might literally be a paid Trump troll? The mod team doesn't care about your political stances, they care about following board rules.

3. "It's just a liberal circle jerk echo chamber and saying anything out of line brings the mob coming for your head."

Still not true, but even if it was, if you're a conservative that's been living in Nebraska your entire life...welcome to the other side. Woe is you for feeling outnumbered, even though you aren't (at least, not by any meaningful amount). You're likely just used to social structures in which almost everyone was mostly on the same page with you. Is it really that unreasonable for people to call others out on their fallacies, demand evidence for claims, and present contrary evidence? If you believe something it would do well for you to believe it confidently for a reason, and very few people in this forum actually get nasty with each other. Sure, I might get terse or fired up occasionally, and so might a few others (with the exception of zoogs who exhibits classiness in every conversation he's ever been in and makes us all feel like immature losers), but we're talking about complex topics that we care about. That comes with the territory, and it's through that tension that we learn. I've had a lot of my assumptions about police officers challenged by BRI, mostly through the interactions where we've both gotten pretty heated. That's very valuable long-term.

• Fire 3

I can respect where some feel that identifying posters by name can feel dirty or attacking. That said, the problem cannot be addressed if that doesn't happen either via PM or in a topic such as this.

Maybe I am missing where the posts have gotten so bad as to make people feel unsafe. The times where it gets contentious is when: A) Poster states an opinion and is unwilling/unable to provide evidence for that opinion; 2) Poster states a position and when contrary evidence is presented, gets frustrated/upset rather than addressing it; C) Poster wrote X but meant Y - the mind readers steer clear of P&R so this is going to be an issue.

Surprisingly, none of this is unique to Huskerboard. If you have a position you want share, provide evidence for it. This applies to everyone.

Most people have a tendency to read/assume tone on what they read. We all need to try and not do that, especially on a message board. Everyone has a different writing/language style and it is easy to misinterpret a statement if you guess the wrong tone.

If you don't want to write more than a few words, the P&R forum is probably not the best place for this posting style. These are tough topics that generally cannot be meaningfully discussed in 7-10 word answers.

• Fire 4

You feel unsafe at HuskerBoard?

I do at times feel like I might be cyber kicked.

If you're afraid you may be banned, why stay?

Because you guys need me!

I'm glad we got an answer to this thread. It just took a little logic, is all.

Defend what?

Everyone has to defend their vote in the face of criticism. I voted for Hillary Clinton, one of the worst candidates in my lifetime. I can be called on to answer why I did that, and I will. I have no problem explaining that position, and no problem admitting that it was an odious vote to have cast.

That vote is not immune to criticism, and while I can answer some of the criticisms leveled against me, I cannot answer them all.

It is not an injustice for someone to call me out for that vote. It is not a wrong. On this forum I have several choices on how I answer those criticisms: Accept them, challenge them with facts, or simply not answer them.

If I accept them, then I live with the knowledge that I did something wrong. We've all done that, we all live with that knowledge in some facet of our lives. It isn't the worst thing.

If I challenge them, it's incumbent upon me to provide facts and logic to show why my accusers are wrong. How successful I am at that depends in a large way in how logically I approached my vote in the first place. The less logic used, the more difficult it will be to defend my position.

If I simply choose not to answer my critics, that's fine. But if that is my choice, I won't snipe at those critics from the sidelines because that is not something I equate with integrity.

Every position in P&R can be called into question. Every position should be defended. That's the nature of these conversations. If people choose not to participate in that process, fine. But they shouldn't bitch about those of us who do.

This is what I was looking for.

By no means did I mean what I said about anyone being a loser for their vote. Hugs and kisses to everyone that voted.

• Fire 1

You feel unsafe at HuskerBoard?

I do at times feel like I might be cyber kicked.

If you're afraid you may be banned, why stay?

Because you guys need me!

I'm glad we got an answer to this thread. It just took a little logic, is all.

That thread exposed more than any other thread ever.