The Environment

13 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

We are long past 2000.  We are way past the time where the UN expert said humans can still make a positive impact.  I’m listening to the experts from the UN, nothing we can do anymore:dunno.  Live it up now while we can I guess.  

• Plus1 1
Just now, Archy1221 said:

We are long past 2000.  We are way past the time where the UN expert said humans can still make a positive impact.  I’m listening to the experts from the UN, nothing we can do anymore:dunno.  Live it up now while we can I guess.  

That's not what it says but nice strawman.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Please check the third paragraph in the tweet, then learn what a strawman argument actually is.  

Unsurprisingly, the snippet doesn't give the full context, here's the full article:

https://apnews.com/article/bd45c372caf118ec99964ea547880cd0

The third paragraph is a summary by the writer of the article, but the actual quote later on shows he's talking about specific consequences of climate change, not there's nothing at all that would have a positive impact.

Brown said if the warming trend continues, ″the question is will we be able to reverse the process in time? We say that within the next 10 years, given the present loads that the atmosphere has to bear, we have an opportunity to start the stabilizing process.″

He said even the most conservative scientists ″already tell us there’s nothing we can do now to stop a ... change″ of about 3 degrees.

″Anything beyond that, and we have to start thinking about the significant rise of the sea levels ... we can expect more ferocious storms, hurricanes, wind shear, dust erosion.″

• Plus1 1

4 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Unsurprisingly, the snippet doesn't give the full context, here's the full article:

https://apnews.com/article/bd45c372caf118ec99964ea547880cd0

The third paragraph is a summary by the writer of the article, but the actual quote later on shows he's talking about specific consequences of climate change, not there's nothing at all that would have a positive impact.

says entire nations could be wiped off the face of the Earth by rising sea levels if the global warming trend is not reversed by the year 2000.

As the warming melts polar icecaps, ocean levels will rise by up to three feet, enough to cover the Maldives and other flat island nations, Brown told The Associated Press in an interview on Wednesday.

He said even the most conservative scientists ″already tell us there’s nothing we can do now to stop a ... change″ of about 3 degrees.

lotta scary stuff predicted.....that didn’t happen 

• Plus1 1
Just now, Archy1221 said:

says entire nations could be wiped off the face of the Earth by rising sea levels if the global warming trend is not reversed by the year 2000.

As the warming melts polar icecaps, ocean levels will rise by up to three feet, enough to cover the Maldives and other flat island nations, Brown told The Associated Press in an interview on Wednesday.

I already gave links for the island nations being wiped out by rising sea levels, so that's already happening.

And there's been 2.07F rise in global temp, which is indeed "about 3 degrees", but the article also states a range of temps which we are definitely within the range of:

The most conservative scientific estimate that the Earth’s temperature will rise 1 to 7 degrees in the next 30 years, said Brown.

So as I said before, that looks like a pretty accurate prediction.

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

I already gave links for the island nations being wiped out by rising sea levels, so that's already happening.

And there's been 2.07F rise in global temp, which is indeed "about 3 degrees", but the article also states a range of temps which we are definitely within the range of:

So as I said before, that looks like a pretty accurate prediction.

In these recent examples, the islands were small and uninhabited,

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

In these recent examples, the islands were small and uninhabited,

From the beginning of the first article I linked:

Anote Tong can remember when Tebunginako, on the central Pacific island nation of Kiribati, was a thriving village.

But beginning in the 1970s, the tide started inching closer to the houses in the village. Over the years, as strong winds whipped up monster waves and climate change caused sea levels to rise, water inundated the island, overwhelming a seawall that had been built to protect the community.

Barely anything remains of the village today.

“It’s no longer there,” Tong said. “What we do have is a church sitting in the middle of the sea when the tide comes in.”

https://www.nbcnews.com/mach/science/three-islands-disappeared-past-year-climate-change-blame-ncna1015316

• Plus1 1

25 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Renewables have intermittent production challenges, but fossil fuels have production issues as well:

The things we take for granted in this country is unreal. Most of us take the electrical grid and easy access to water for granted. 

Maybe Texas will rethink their grid interconnects with the East and West US grids. Also, maybe this will spur some change across the board. 

• Plus1 1
20 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

I think we've already been through this. Yeah, there were some alarmist predictions that didn't come through....yet.  As you are keen to cite earth science evidence dating back millions of years, you surely know that an estimate being off by decades -- or a century -- doesn't negate the prediction. In the case of melting polar ice, it's been happening considerably faster than most previous prediction models. Look into those, rather than the most alarmist thing a single individual said years ago. 

The irony for conservatives is that moving to a green economy supports the supposed bedrock of conservative thinking: more efficient, long term solutions that conserve limited resources and spur new economic development through American innovation. Big Oil may whine, but like Big Auto and General Electric, and 3M and other blueblood American Capitalists, they are moving into renewable energy because it makes business sense. Always did, regardless of climate change. 

It's an incredible opportunity. Instead:  Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez wants to outlaw cows. 

• Plus1 2