The Environment

6 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

This is my biggest problem with wind energy.  I remember Ted Kennedy was a huge proponent of wind. Then, one was being planned off the coast of Kennebunkport where his family has a huge mansion.  He threw a fit because it would ruin the view and it never was built (that I know of).  He thought it should just be out here in fly over country where "nobody lives".  Well, a heck of a lot of beautiful scenery out here now has these planted in it....and people do live here.  

If we are going to do this, everyone needs to be affected by it in this way.

22 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

This is my biggest problem with wind energy.  I remember Ted Kennedy was a huge proponent of wind. Then, one was being planned off the coast of Kennebunkport where his family has a huge mansion.  He threw a fit because it would ruin the view and it never was built (that I know of).  He thought it should just be out here in fly over country where "nobody lives".  Well, a heck of a lot of beautiful scenery out here now has these planted in it....and people do live here.  

If we are going to do this, everyone needs to be affected by it in this way.

Was that before or after he killed a woman??  Haha

• Plus1 2
  • 4 weeks later...

17 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

This is one of the biggest drawbacks of an electric car. If they fix this, it would be a game changer. 

This is only partly true because charging times do take longer than filling a gas tank, but it doesn't take hours on any of the modern chargers (like Tesla's or Electrify America's networks) rather about 15-20 minutes. Unlike ICE cars, you don't fill up all the way but enough to get to the next charger or your destination. And this only really applies to long road trips since you can fill up at home and normally never have to stop anywhere to get fuel or power.

Edit: Note that the linked article is talking about public charging stations, most (all?) of which are free. It's like complaining about the slow pump at a gas station where the gas is free.

35 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

This is only partly true because charging times do take longer than filling a gas tank, but it doesn't take hours on any of the modern chargers (like Tesla's or Electrify America's networks) rather about 15-20 minutes. Unlike ICE cars, you don't fill up all the way but enough to get to the next charger or your destination. And this only really applies to long road trips since you can fill up at home and normally never have to stop anywhere to get fuel or power.

That's interesting because, not too long ago I tried finding how long it takes to charge a car on line and I really couldn't find a good answer.  So, if the battery is about dead, it would take 15-20 minutes to charge all the way if you're at a charger in one of those networks?

22 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

That's interesting because, not too long ago I tried finding how long it takes to charge a car on line and I really couldn't find a good answer.  So, if the battery is about dead, it would take 15-20 minutes to charge all the way if you're at a charger in one of those networks?

Maybe I don't totally get it but do you only charge your battery when it is almost dead or is it like a phone where you can plug it in whenever you want...

And honestly, 15-20 at a "pump" would drive my crazy.

• Plus1 2