LJS: Diaco's Defense is "Smashmouth"

Mavric

The thing I read is not so much a "system", but a mentality. The past 10 years, very few guys come to mind who were mentally checked in as Blackshirts with the aggressive mindset. SUH and Asante. Probably Crick, David as well. Guys who were junk yardmean and tough. Asante for all the PF calls roamed the secondary like a gladiator. SUH? No comments needed.

I'll be anxious to see who are the athletes at LB this year. I really haven't seen any yet. I hear the young guys are, but haven't seen them yet.

So freaking much this ^

I remember reading a PLAYBOY article about when the Raiders were playing the Vikings back in the day. Watching the Vikings was like watching a craftsman lay carpet dilligently. Watching the Raiders play was like watching a guy parachute through a glass ceiling with a machine gun.

I want the latter, and I want a lot of guys like that.

Ugh!!! You had to bring that Viking loss up. I hadn't thought about that game in years. :facepalm:

GBR!!!

The thing I read is not so much a "system", but a mentality. The past 10 years, very few guys come to mind who were mentally checked in as Blackshirts with the aggressive mindset. SUH and Asante. Probably Crick, David as well. Guys who were junk yardmean and tough. Asante for all the PF calls roamed the secondary like a gladiator. SUH? No comments needed.

I'll be anxious to see who are the athletes at LB this year. I really haven't seen any yet. I hear the young guys are, but haven't seen them yet.

So freaking much this ^

I remember reading a PLAYBOY article about when the Raiders were playing the Vikings back in the day. Watching the Vikings was like watching a craftsman lay carpet dilligently. Watching the Raiders play was like watching a guy parachute through a glass ceiling with a machine gun.

I want the latter, and I want a lot of guys like that.

Classic.

Yes BRB, seems like different systems work at different times. The NU defenses of the mid and later 1990s were much more aggressive and in your face than the previous. However, they also started to recruit speed on D and I think that had the greatest impact. The 95 D was not only in your face but they were all over the field wt speed. I think that recruiting change had as much of an affect as the system change on D

Just go back and look at the Florida game in the Fiesta Bowl. We defeated a very good, fast offense with even greater team speed on the D side - some of those interceptions and the back to back sacks on the QB for a safety (1st wasn't called a safety but should have been - got him on the next play though!!) showed great team speed on the D side. I hope we get that going again. One of our frustrations in watching our D over the past few years is to see how slow our linebackers are. I say, turn some RBs in to linebackers to get them on the field. I think we are improving in that area now with the new LB recruits and redshirts coming available.

I guess I've been thinking about this for a long time in that our 4-3 used to be that attacking/menacing defense that didn't give you any chance to do anything. We have been running a 4-3 and it wasn't anything like that. Now we are going to run a 3-4 and I'm reading things that claim NOW we are going to have that attitude and style.

I'm not a defensive expert. But, what I'm learning is that just because you are running a 4-3, doesn't mean your 4-3 is the same as the next guy's 4-3. And....so.....now we are switching to a 3-4 so it's really a waste of time to go google "3-4 defense" and study up on what it is because Diaco's 3-4 probably is very different than some other guy's 3-4.

Yes BRB, seems like different systems work at different times. The NU defenses of the mid and later 1990s were much more aggressive and in your face than the previous. However, they also started to recruit speed on D and I think that had the greatest impact. The 95 D was not only in your face but they were all over the field wt speed. I think that recruiting change had as much of an affect as the system change on D

Just go back and look at the Florida game in the Fiesta Bowl. We defeated a very good, fast offense with even greater team speed on the D side - some of those interceptions and the back to back sacks on the QB for a safety (1st wasn't called a safety but should have been - got him on the next play though!!) showed great team speed on the D side. I hope we get that going again. One of our frustrations in watching our D over the past few years is to see how slow our linebackers are. I say, turn some RBs in to linebackers to get them on the field. I think we are improving in that area now with the new LB recruits and redshirts coming available.

I guess I've been thinking about this for a long time in that our 4-3 used to be that attacking/menacing defense that didn't give you any chance to do anything. We have been running a 4-3 and it wasn't anything like that. Now we are going to run a 3-4 and I'm reading things that claim NOW we are going to have that attitude and style.

I'm not a defensive expert. But, what I'm learning is that just because you are running a 4-3, doesn't mean your 4-3 is the same as the next guy's 4-3. And....so.....now we are switching to a 3-4 so it's really a waste of time to go google "3-4 defense" and study up on what it is because Diaco's 3-4 probably is very different than some other guy's 3-4.

Yeah, I remember when Riley/Banker were hired there was quite a bit of excitement about running a simpler and more attacking defense.

That turned out to ..... not be the case.

as long as it means we actually blitz the quarterback and send pressure so they dont have all day to through im all for it

In the 34 we might blitz about the same amount but it is harder to identify who is coming and it confuses the line bc they are reading more 2nd level defender in their protection. A lot more deception in the 34 than Banker just walking up our backers in their gap and getting picked up by protection.

I am excited for the diaco defense for many reasons. He is about limiting the big play and wants to play physical. That is the recipe to win the west. Also, the thorn in our side is wiscy who runs a similar defense. Diaco's knowledge of 34 should help our offensive game plan against wiscy and we will get to see that defense everyday in practice. Win/win. GBR!