Is the team progressing

hucksker

I would suggest this is applicable not only to the TEAM, but to individuals as well.

(the football forum is constantly arguing about development.....shouldn't the Basketball forum be equally inquisitive?)

IMHO.............Tai has gotten better; and Jordy has (although one could argue that he was SO raw, his development almost HAD to occur)

After that? Who else?

Jacobsen has regressed; Watson remains an enigma; Morrow is the same; Taylor is not a starter on most Div 1 programs.

Where is the development?

I have always been a Miles supporter, but I am discouraged by the pace and/or lack of development.

That falls on the coaching staff.

Interesting thing to consider:

If the problem really is Miles, would it be better to cut him loose and try to let someone else take advantage of the talent we have? As opposed to keeping him around and just hoping things get better.

If Fred Hoiberg gets canned by the Bulls, the answer is yes.

If the AD is willing to spend money on a coach that knows how to win in a big boy division, the answer is yes.

If neither of the above options are in the realm of possibility, the answer is no.

I would suggest this is applicable not only to the TEAM, but to individuals as well.

(the football forum is constantly arguing about development.....shouldn't the Basketball forum be equally inquisitive?)

IMHO.............Tai has gotten better; and Jordy has (although one could argue that he was SO raw, his development almost HAD to occur)

After that? Who else?

Jacobsen has regressed; Watson remains an enigma; Morrow is the same; Taylor is not a starter on most Div 1 programs.

I have always been a Miles supporter, but I am discouraged by the pace and/or lack of development.

Maybe I'm not remembering this correctly but it seems to me that early in the season - when Watson was playing really well - HE was the point guard. He brought the ball up and got the offense started. Apparently somewhere along the line we made Tai the PG. Even when Watson is in the game he'll pass it to Webster to bring it up the floor and get the offense started. That seems odd to me. You're taking probably your second-best player and moving him out of the role that he is best at. Not sure what that's about.

When Miles was hired we all knew it was a 5+ year rebuild. He tried to do a quick fix with transfers in year 2 and it worked. It also raised expectations that haven't been met. The majority of the rotation are freshman and sophomores. Some seem like they are improving, but some guys look mediocre and inconsistent. I've felt Miles deserved to see the 2015 class through their junior years, but he's making it tough on the AD. I'm not pushing for Miles to be let go, but I don't think I would be uspset if we had someone solid lined up to replace him.

If the problem really is Miles, would it be better to cut him loose and try to let someone else take advantage of the talent we have? As opposed to keeping him around and just hoping things get better.

If the AD is willing to spend money on a coach that knows how to win in a big boy division, the answer is yes.

If neither of the above options are in the realm of possibility, the answer is no.

That's the biggest short-fall of that plan: forcing Eichorst to make another hire. He hasn't shown himself to be that great at that process.

If Hoiberg would fall in our lap that would be great. I don't know if the timing would let that happen.

I wish I would have posted an article from a couple weeks ago. Seems like it was Shatel but I can't remember for sure. He pointed out that Eichorst has been shaky at best in his hiring process. And he also pointed out that the process the Huskers have used to hire the last 3 or 4 men's basketball coaches - try to find the up-and-coming small college coach - hasn't worked out very well. He suggested it was time to try a new approach. Namely, throw money at a bigger name, as you suggested.

I think that's where people are really on the fence about keeping him for another year. He brought in the talent and some players do seem to be getting better. However, as a team we seem to be regressing.

Most people seem to recognize our lack of an offense as this teams biggest problem. It seems our assistant coaches all have pretty solid coaching backgrounds but tbh, I don't know enough about their respective roles on the team and how well each recruits and yada, yada, yada. My question is, is righting this ship just a matter of hiring the right offensive minded assistant coach and if so, who should be replaced? It makes me think this might be a big part of the solution - I mean just look how much better we looked offensively when we still had Craig Smith.

After that? Who else?

Maybe I'm not remembering this correctly but it seems to me that early in the season - when Watson was playing really well - HE was the point guard. He brought the ball up and got the offense started. Apparently somewhere along the line we made Tai the PG. Even when Watson is in the game he'll pass it to Webster to bring it up the floor and get the offense started. That seems odd to me. You're taking probably your second-best player and moving him out of the role that he is best at. Not sure what that's about.

I think you are remembering correctly.

Just last night Watson would turn after crossing the time line and toss it back to Webster........as if that was the only option to get the offense started.

We have become such a Webster-centric offense that I would think it would be pretty easy to scout and defend.

I'm with the legion of others who can't understand why we don't run and gun and get the crowd into it (even last night, the spurt of running late in the first half got us close and the crowd energized).

Since we play up to 10 guys, depth would seem to be an asset we aren't utilizing full court.

But then, I confess to being confused about what exactly our offense really IS?

What is Miles selling to recruits about the type of style they will play upon committing?

I think that's where people are really on the fence about keeping him for another year. He brought in the talent and some players do seem to be getting better. However, as a team we seem to be regressing.

Most people seem to recognize our lack of an offense as this teams biggest problem. It seems our assistant coaches all have pretty solid coaching backgrounds but tbh, I don't know enough about their respective roles on the team and how well each recruits and yada, yada, yada. My question is, is righting this ship just a matter of hiring the right offensive minded assistant coach and if so, who should be replaced? It makes me think this might be a big part of the solution - I mean just look how much better we looked offensively when we still had Craig Smith.

That's what most people have been hoping since Smith left.

Problem is, how many assistants has Miles hired and it still hasn't gotten any better?

That's the biggest short-fall of that plan: forcing Eichorst to make another hire. He hasn't shown himself to be that great at that process.

If Hoiberg would fall in our lap that would be great. I don't know if the timing would let that happen.

I wish I would have posted an article from a couple weeks ago. Seems like it was Shatel but I can't remember for sure. He pointed out that Eichorst has been shaky at best in his hiring process. And he also pointed out that the process the Huskers have used to hire the last 3 or 4 men's basketball coaches - try to find the up-and-coming small college coach - hasn't worked out very well. He suggested it was time to try a new approach. Namely, throw money at a bigger name, as you suggested.

Just because he may have made some "shaky" hires, doesn't mean that basketball should be excused.

When Miles was hired we all knew it was a 5+ year rebuild. He tried to do a quick fix with transfers in year 2 and it worked. It also raised expectations that haven't been met. The majority of the rotation are freshman and sophomores. Some seem like they are improving, but some guys look mediocre and inconsistent. I've felt Miles deserved to see the 2015 class through their junior years, but he's making it tough on the AD. I'm not pushing for Miles to be let go, but I don't think I would be uspset if we had someone solid lined up to replace him.

A 5+ year rebuilding plan is all well and good if you show improvement year over year.

The reason for so many freshmen and sophomores is because a lot of players have transferred out well before eligibility has been used.

Miles has had too many assistant coaches leave the university to other teams in lateral moves.

In 5 years, there is still zero sense of an offense.

That's what most people have been hoping since Smith left.

Problem is, how many assistants has Miles hired and it still hasn't gotten any better?

And it feels like each one it was "Ohhh this will be the guy we need!" and yet here we are, same old sh**ty results. Which I guess ultimately leads back to Miles being the problem.

A 5+ year rebuilding plan is all well and good if you show improvement year over year.

The reason for so many freshmen and sophomores is because a lot of players have transferred out well before eligibility has been used.

Miles has had too many assistant coaches leave the university to other teams in lateral moves.

You're just not going to get that with Miles. He clearly isn't an X's/O's guy. Would love to see him turn the offense over to an assistant (not one that is currently on staff).

My biggest gripe with Miles are the offensive lulls. Don't have to convince me. Happen far too often. Often lack an identity. Felt like it used to be consistently getting it to the rim.

I just view Miles's tenure here as 2 separate terms. The first term was the first 3 years that had a transition year, transfer quick fix that turned into NCAA bid, and disappointing follow up year. The second term is the last 2 years built around mostly freshman and sophomores where your leading returning scorer left in the middle of summer.

So to me, he is somewhat in year 3. But next year is a do or die year. Have to be in NCAA or make a very strong run in NIT.

My biggest gripe with Miles are the offensive lulls. Don't have to convince me. Happen far too often. Often lack an identity. Felt like it used to be consistently getting it to the rim.

I just view Miles's tenure here as 2 separate terms. The first term was the first 3 years that had a transition year, transfer quick fix that turned into NCAA bid, and disappointing follow up year. The second term is the last 2 years built around mostly freshman and sophomores where your leading returning scorer left in the middle of summer.

So to me, he is somewhat in year 3. But next year is a do or die year. Have to be in NCAA or make a very strong run in NIT.

Without an 8-1 run from February 8-March 9 in 2014, Nebraska is likely looking at a losing season. They were 11-10 overall at the start of it and their offense was still crap most of the games.

Like my earlier post said, 1 good month in 5 years. That transition hasn't truly happened.

This is interesting