LJS: Don't Discount POB in QB Race

Mavric

-A Tulane transfer with playing experience and a guy who redshirted but got to learn the system for a year and a top recruited QB out of Cali

Or...

-A 4 year starter and a walk on backup and a guy we move back and forth from QB and WR

Strangely enough, I like our depth better this year than last. I get what you're saying, but I trust we are going to see a much more fluent QB regardless of who wins the job.

I agree wholeheartedly with this. I'm just in a holding pattern in terms of buying/selling the hype as of now.

“Just being here in the offense for a year, I just invest myself in that,” O’Brien said. “I kind of know the ins and outs of that. That’s definitely going to help me be better on the field, and I know where I need to go with the ball for passing, or checks, all that stuff. I also know what to expect from practices and all the looks you’re going to get from defenses. It just all comes together for me.”

Last season, O’Brien spent the first part of practices directing the scout team in the indoor Hawks Championship Center before trotting up to Memorial Stadium, where’d he spend time watching the No. 1 and No. 2 offenses.

“A lot of times we were running the offense the other team would run, and then I got a good taste of what we ran,” O’Brien said. “It was good just to kind of see multiple offenses.”

O’Brien threw for 2,895 yards and 32 touchdowns as a senior at San Juan Hill High School while completing an impressive 74.3 percent of his attempts. O’Brien also ran for 626 yards on 110 carries, with eight rushing touchdowns.

Make no mistake, though, O’Brien is at Nebraska because of his strong, accurate arm.

“It’s a pro-style offense and I’m a pro-style quarterback,” O’Brien said. “I feel like I can make any throw on the field. I feel like I have good footwork, and that’s all Coach Langs preaches.

“I feel like I could be a really good fit for (this offense). It’s a big reason why I came here, too. It’s going to be a stepping stone to go to the NFL. I mean, obviously, that’s the dream, so it’s only going to prepare me for that and it’s just going to make me a better quarterback.”

Huskers.com

Do we hold on to POB if he doesn't win the qb battle this year?

Unlikely, and he'd be a bit crazy to stay. If he has the skill Reilly says he has, he could start in a lot of places. No reason to spend his career on the bench at Nebraska.

It would depend if/when he left though, right? Tanner has 2 years, so 2019 would be either POB (RsJr.) or Gebbia (RsSo). If POB were to transfer after the during/after the fall season, I think he's sitting until 2019 anyway.

Do we hold on to POB if he doesn't win the qb battle this year?

My guess is yes....If not...so be it. Next man up.

But, I'm sure the narrative will be...OMG....ROSTER MISMANAGEMENT!!!!

I would hope that anyone that actually understands the trends regarding Division 1 QBs wouldn't say that; it's much, much more common to have QB transfers nowadays that ever before.