Pre-Spring Presser

Knevel will start out as the #1 RT but Conrad is close.

Then we haven't learned a damn thing...

It's pre-spring. You're taking too much from this list. The young players will have a chance to unseat Knevel.

I am of the opinion Knevel shouldn't even be on scholarship anymore. So the young players shouldn't have to unseat him.

It's pre-spring. You're taking too much from this list. The young players will have a chance to unseat Knevel.

Agree. But if somehow Knevel is able to hold onto that #1 spot, I will severely begin to question Cavanaugh's grading and judgment.

I am 100% sure that David Knevel is a fine young man. However, he is a liability on the field. He has seemingly every single game 2 or 3 "wiff blocks." And I think I am being generous by only saying 2-3 it very possibly could be more.

I wish I had short video clips to demonstrate what I am talking about.

Anyway, Coach Cav...we're watching. This year there will be zero excuses or slack given for poor OL play. You have 3 full OL classes, two of them have redshirted, it is time dear friend to start earning your paycheck.

I am of the opinion Knevel shouldn't even be on scholarship anymore. So the young players shouldn't have to unseat him.

Glad you are not the coach. Kid was a project coming in and sounds like he has put in work, he just hasn't panned out like some have wanted. He could be a serviceable starter or backup

I know the screens are his style, but that statement really isn't confidence inducing.. Sounds like a nice way of let's cover up our big issues by doing things quick so they don't have time to mess up. Talking about Sam's tweet.
I don't think that is the case. Yes we had issues at offensive line a year ago but whether you have our offensive line or the Cowboys offensive line it's always nice to help them out with a few quick hitters. It's not what we are going to run all of the time but it should help them on plays where they need to block a little longer as well.

I know the screens are his style, but that statement really isn't confidence inducing.. Sounds like a nice way of let's cover up our big issues by doing things quick so they don't have time to mess up. Talking about Sam's tweet.

I don't have an issue wanting to run screens. They can be pretty effective. And getting the ball out quickly - to whoever - is always a good plan.

But our screen game has baffled me since Riley got here. We are literally the worst team at trying to run screens that I've ever seen. I'm sure a bit of it is TA was terrible at throwing touch passes. But even the timing was almost always screwed up. RB releasing before the OL. OL not picking up blocks. It's been a total train wreck. I'd like to think that improves but there just seems to be something fundamentally wrong with how we're trying to do it.

• Fire 1

I guess I'm confused on this comment as it fits in with the rest of the comments on the board about our RB usage.

I have seen complaints about how our usage isn't creative and how it's so predictable....etc. And...I can agree with that.

So...now we have our HC describing the types of plays he would like to key on when using our RBs and we have complaints that it's now being designed to cover up weaknesses.

This seems like a situation where the coaches can't win in the eyes of the fans.

The run game needs to be creative in how it exploits what the defense is doing. If they over pursue, they need to pay for it with misdirection. If they pin their ears back, make them pay with screen plays...etc.

I actually liked the comment from the HC and hope that a more accurate passer with the short passes/screen passes will ultimately help the run game and OL.

Eh, you're kind of lumping everyone together to try to make a point. Some people want to see some things, others other things. That doesn't make them inconsistent.

And I don't think a screen counts as a "signature" run. Yes, it'd be handy to have an effective screen game. But that's going to be 2-3 plays per game compared to the regular running game which might be 30 plays per game. So just because we run some screens doesn't mean that we've being that creative with our running game.

• Fire 1

Wasn't Knevel like 14 when he got here. He is pretty young - maybe he got a couple hairs on his chin and can now hold his own.

Maybe i'm thinking of a different lineman - There was something about Knevel (new to the game?)

Wasn't Knevel like 14 when he got here. He is pretty young - maybe he got a couple hairs on his chin and can now hold his own.

I think you're thinking of Givens Price.

He'll be 23 in October. I don't care how old he is. He's a senior and isn't a very good lineman in my opinion.