Riley Wants Running Game Identity

"We've got to do a better job — and I talked to the coaches about this — of establishing an identity running game," Riley said. "When we turn on the film and it looks like this, my daughter can say 'Whoa, that's Nebraska!' That's how it's gotta look. We do that enough that we've got a signature. And when I say that, you've got to have balance, too."

When his offenses have been best, Riley said, Nebraska should have a good draw game and screen game to compliment the identity running game. The new quarterbacks will need more help from the offensive line, but the line will need help from the draw and screen game — plus a quick-passing game with hitches and bubble screens — that creates balance.

OWH

I don't disagree but it takes more than just saying you want it and it will require seemingly more emphasis on good O line play. Yes, an effective passing game, screens and draws will help the offensive line achieve but it also just plain takes a commitment to building a good O line and establishing the running game. I wonder if they are really willing to make the necessary commitment. You can't do it if you revert to slinging it around so readily. How much harder will it be for them to commit to the running game if they actually have a QB that can throw the ball. They didn't make the commitment with a guy who was not particularly good at reading and throwing so what now...?

Feel like I heard this song and dance all last season

You did, and it didn't work great due to personnel.

"When his offenses have been best, Riley said, Nebraska should have a good draw game and screen game to compliment the identity running game. The new quarterbacks will need more help from the offensive line, but the line will need help from the draw and screen game — plus a quick-passing game with hitches and bubble screens — that creates balance. "

This was the epitome of what Tommy had trouble with. I love TA, when he was healthy he was a game changer. However, he struggled with accuracy and timing. The staff did seemingly learn how to utilize him well last season. However, it wasn't an identity because we couldn't execute regularly. In theory our next QB is going to be able to help out with this. Realistically, how much did other teams fear the quick passing game last year? I keep going back to the Maryland game. Think of an upgraded Fyfe at QB running that offense. Yeah it was against Maryland, but it felt good.

I'm not as concerned about the number of plays called but the effectiveness of those plays.

Yards per Rush:

2016 - 4.20

2015 - 4.72

2014 - 5.32

2013 - 4.80

2012 - 5.36

2011 - 4.62

2010 - 5.47

2009 - 4.02

2008 - 4.54

Yes, there were injuries and lack of a top-flight back.

But there was also a complete lack of creativity in the scheme and play-calling.

When you can only beat the vaunted 2009 offense in recent history, that's a problem.

• Fire 3

I agree with him we need a better running identity. We also need better run calls because DL just has such a basic running style in his offense. I feel that DL when under pressure will throw the ball more now that he has his guy at qb. Not saying this is a bad thing, but that is probably what is going to happen. None of it matters without much of an offensive line so lets hope they stay healthy and perform well.

• Fire 1

In fairness, last year Nebraska had perhaps the best receiver corps in its history, and the weakest stable of running backs in years.

And in fairness to your fairness, our stable of running backs had little to nothing to do with the lack of effectiveness of our running game. Everything I witnessed tells me our running game would've been just fine with good O line play and an actual commitment to a running game. The RB's have been the least of our problems in this regard.

• Fire 1

I'm not as concerned about the number of plays called but the effectiveness of those plays.

Yards per Rush:

2016 - 4.20

2015 - 4.72

2014 - 5.32

2013 - 4.80

2012 - 5.36

2011 - 4.62

2010 - 5.47

2009 - 4.02

2008 - 4.54

But there was also a complete lack of creativity in the scheme and play-calling.

When you can only beat the vaunted 2009 offense in recent history, that's a problem.

Exactly and I'm not sure we're going to see anymore creativity this year. Langsdorf said last year he wants our identity to be an inside zone team on running plays, so unless we see improvement from the OL, we're probably going to see more of the same.

I heard that Nebraska was 60+% run versus pass last season. I don't know if that's true though.

That is probably correct, in terms of play calling, but that's not always a great indicator in effectiveness of the run game. I think a lot of us would like to see a more effective run game with the running backs.

True.

Honestly, last season our running game baffled me. I know our OL was banged up and at one point we were starting 3-4 walk-ons along the OL.

But last season, we just seemed to have two running plays: 1) an Iso through the 1 or 2 hole, or 2) a stretch zone play designed to go outside. And our opponents knew what was coming based off of formation. This explains why we struggled to run against Purdue and Tennessee two teams that had statistically two of the worst run defenses in college football last year.

I would need to go back and watch all the offensive series again, but I don't remember seeing many pulls, traps, misdirections, etc. Could that be because of the banged up OL? Could that be because we didn't have the RBs? Could it have been what our opponents were doing schematically on defense? Could it be that Langsdorf just doesn't have any creativity and doesn't know how variant a strong running game can be? If it is lack of creativity, then he should talk to Tom Osborne.

Like I understand these coaches want to be their own men, and do their system. But if the stated goal is to get much better, much more physical, and much more dominant in the running game, then guys you have arguably the architect of the greatest running game in the history of college football a mere phone call and miles away. To not use that level of a resource just seems...odd.

• Fire 2

Yards per Rush:

2016 - 4.20

2015 - 4.72

2014 - 5.32

2013 - 4.80

2012 - 5.36

2011 - 4.62

2010 - 5.47

2009 - 4.02

2008 - 4.54

Throw in the fact that the 2 leading rushers (Newby & Armstrong) aren't returning, and they both had YPC over 4.5 yards, there is cause for concern regarding the run game.

In fact, looking at returning ball carriers, the stats from 2016 are:

Devine Ozigbo 97 carries for 412 yards, 4.2 YPC, 37.5 YPG

Tre Bryant 43 carries for 172 yards, 4.0 YPC, 14.3 YPG

Mikale Wilbon, 15 carries for 89 yards, 5.9 YPC, 8.9 YPG

Pierson-El, 14 carries for 34 yards, 2.4 YPC, 2.6 YPG

Total 169 carries for 707 yards, 4.2 YPC, 54.4 YPG

That's not a lot of returning production.

• Fire 1

Don't misunderstand, I think our running game will show improvement. All other things being constant, simply having a viable passing attack will make it easier to run the ball. Now the O line play, play calling and fortitude to not totally abandon the run game.......those are concerns.

But full disclosure; I won't be happy until we can ram the ball down any opponents throat at will.