Riley Wants Running Game Identity

IF, we are going to be a pro style offense going forward, I'd like to see a run game predicated on traps, dives and counters. PA passes to keep the D honest. Basically a smash mouth run game where we use a run, pass option as our answer to the zone read running game or old "option" football. I know Chip Kelly tried at Philly to run a zone read in the passing game. Similar concept as the zone read run game in that QB reads a defender (can't remember which) and then makes the appropriate read and throws to the "open" receiver. On,y problem with the above, as with any O is the play of our OL. If they are slow, injured or unathletic, traps, sweeps, counters will be hard as someone has gotta pull and get outside or come across/around. Seem to remember that was the "excuse" for last seasons abandonment on any run, but up the middle.

The reality, as many have said, we have lacked an identity for years. It hasn't been just Riley. Regardless of scheme, if your identity is aggressive, physical, technique sound football you will win.

I like Wisky's O. I see them and remember when that was us....

RE: PA Passes

It also seems to me that we are lacking in this area. I always meant to go back and watch the Tennessee game again to see how their pass rush varied throughout the game. Watching it live, it definitely seemed to me that when we'd run some sort of play-action, we had plenty of time to pass. Fyfe was usually under center to start and the defense had to hold up a count to see what would happen, giving the OL time to get set up in their pass blocking. But most of the time we were doing a straight drop-back and often out of the shotgun. Tennessee knew they could just come flying around the edge and head for the QB which did our tackles no favors.

• Fire 1

Hard to run the offense you want when half of it is unreliable. TA was a hit and miss on short routes which took away a lot from what Riley wanted to run. Riley knows how to run the ball and it will be more effective once we have a QB that can make the short throws consistently.

• Fire 1

Hard to run the offense you want when half of it is unreliable. TA was a hit and miss on short routes which took away a lot from what Riley wanted to run. Riley knows how to run the ball and it will be more effective once we have a QB that can make the short throws consistently.

So we should probably reevaluate our impressions of Beck as well, right?

• Fire 1

Now he wants a running identity???? Way to appease the fan base. Oh well.

From 2015: "What we eventually want to do next year is be in the top three in the league in running the football, and when you can do that, then life goes better everywhere," Riley said. "We didn't necessarily have to wait until next year to start with that idea."

http://collegefootball.ap.org/article/bowl-makes-mike-riley-believer-power-run-nebraska

• Fire 1

So we should probably reevaluate our impressions of Beck as well, right?

Beck wasn't trying to run the same offense either.

• Fire 1

We need a solid OL. Regardless of what O we want to run, identity we wish to have or whether we have a mobile or statue QB. Our horrific OL play has hurt us a bad as bad defensive play has. Going 3 and out doesn't help the D one bit. That's why moving forward, I am most concerned about Cav and his ability/lack there of. We have heard about what great idea red shirting was for some of our young guns. 2017 is the time to show this. Every team has injuries, winners adjust and compensate. We seem to be a one trick pony at most positions and have been for numerous years. Gotta get some quality depth across the board at all positions as well.

We need a solid OL. Regardless of what O we want to run, identity we wish to have or whether we have a mobile or statue QB. Our horrific OL play has hurt us a bad as bad defensive play has. Going 3 and out doesn't help the D one bit. That's why moving forward, I am most concerned about Cav and his ability/lack there of. We have heard about what great idea red shirting was for some of our young guns. 2017 is the time to show this. Every team has injuries, winners adjust and compensate. We seem to be a one trick pony at most positions and have been for numerous years. Gotta get some quality depth across the board at all positions as well.

It does feel that under Riley, our recruiting is doing a better job of building depth

It does feel that under Riley, our recruiting is doing a better job of building depth

I agree. The depth was more of a broad brush statement. With injuries, we gotta get more depth. The past few years the drop off in talent between the 1's and 2's has been drastic. Gotta find a way to not only get the athletes in, but get them meaningful snaps.

From 2015: "What we eventually want to do next year is be in the top three in the league in running the football, and when you can do that, then life goes better everywhere," Riley said. "We didn't necessarily have to wait until next year to start with that idea."

http://collegefootball.ap.org/article/bowl-makes-mike-riley-believer-power-run-nebraska

That doesn't change anything. The pro-style offensive minded coach who comes to Nebraska who now suddenly wants to be known for his running offense. Hmm....

I'm not as concerned about the number of plays called but the effectiveness of those plays.

Yards per Rush:

2016 - 4.20

2015 - 4.72

2014 - 5.32

2013 - 4.80

2012 - 5.36

2011 - 4.62

2010 - 5.47

2009 - 4.02

2008 - 4.54

Yes, there were injuries and lack of a top-flight back.

But there was also a complete lack of creativity in the scheme and play-calling.

When you can only beat the vaunted 2009 offense in recent history, that's a problem.

Throw in the fact that the 2 leading rushers (Newby & Armstrong) aren't returning, and they both had YPC over 4.5 yards, there is cause for concern regarding the run game.

In fact, looking at returning ball carriers, the stats from 2016 are:

Devine Ozigbo 97 carries for 412 yards, 4.2 YPC, 37.5 YPG

Tre Bryant 43 carries for 172 yards, 4.0 YPC, 14.3 YPG

Mikale Wilbon, 15 carries for 89 yards, 5.9 YPC, 8.9 YPG

Pierson-El, 14 carries for 34 yards, 2.4 YPC, 2.6 YPG

Total 169 carries for 707 yards, 4.2 YPC, 54.4 YPG

That's not a lot of returning production.

Commitment to the running game will get real fast in my mind when the running back coach who can't deliver (recruiting or developing) or the o-line coach (who I think is better recruiting but not sure on development) are the next ones on the chopping block if the Huskers can't get the running game fixed.

That doesn't change anything. The pro-style offensive minded coach who comes to Nebraska who now suddenly wants to be known for his running offense. Hmm....

You can run more than you pass out of a pro style offense.

“Take Wisconsin in particular,” Riley said. “They have signature running plays that it’s not going to be like ‘they ran that power play this week and then you don’t see it for a couple weeks and then it comes back.’ It’s going to be in every game plan. They’re going to sugarcoat it with a different formation, a different shift, a different motion, a different personnel group, but it’s going to be in that game plan and they are going to run it.

“For instance, this is how it played out against us. They ran the plays early that we know they are going to run and we did a pretty good job — we played a pretty good defense that game. And then in the fourth quarter they ran that same play and got the edge in the blocking. They never gave up on the play. There it is and it keeps coming.

“Pretty soon you’re just a little bit out of position or you don’t meet the block exactly in the right way and there it goes because they know what they’re doing — they know exactly what they are doing. That’s where I would like us to do better. You’ve got to have a counter to it, I understand all that. We just have to better establish who we are at doing it and everybody gets comfortable with it and we are going to force our will on you running this play. It’s not going to disappear.”

Establishing an identity, as Riley put it, sounded good coming off the UCLA game. But entering 2016, I’m not sure it felt imperative. Nebraska had Tommy Armstrong’s legs and a dynamic receiving corps. Surely the Huskers could win even if they didn’t perfect the power play.

Now there’s really no alternative. Riley has to know the importance of the running game in 2017. A new defense. A new quarterback. Young receivers. The coaching staff must protect its weaknesses. 4.2 just won’t do.

OWH