RB JaVeon Marlow [Vanderbilt - Signed LOI]

Mavric

HuskerBoard Predictor  

22 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Personally don't think the RB recruiting has been that bad. We got a solid three star kid on short notice, a 4 star from Missouri, and the best in state RB since either Horne or Green. That's not to give Davis a pass but all things considered that's pretty solid and at least on par with what the last staff would've done. If you want better results then we need a coherent RB rotation that makes sense and a game plan other than all the inside zone crap.

Personally don't think the RB recruiting has been that bad. We got a solid three star kid on short notice, a 4 star from Missouri, and the best in state RB since either Horne or Green. That's not to give Davis a pass but all things considered that's pretty solid and at least on par with what the last staff would've done. If you want better results then we need a coherent RB rotation that makes sense and a game plan other than all the inside zone crap.

Warren was main recruiter with Zig.

Wilhite was one that got Bryant one foot in the door. 4star might slightly exaggerating...he was on 247 but his composite rating was mid-3star.

Bradley is completely unknown now, imo we could have used another big time back last cycle.

I think both ratings, and more importantly production wise the last staff was better to this point by some margin. (No I'm not a Bo guy, just my honest opinion).

Edit: sorry for the tangent. I'll stick with JaVeon. Anyone can PM me for more discussion.

Wilhite was one that got Bryant one foot in the door. 4star might slightly exaggerating...he was on 247 but his composite rating was mid-3star.

Bradley is completely unknown now, imo we could have used another big time back last cycle.

I think both ratings, and more importantly production wise the last staff was better to this point by some margin. (No I'm not a Bo guy, just my honest opinion).

As far as Bryant goes, 24/7 has him as the 8th overall RB and ESPN has him as the 76th overall RB. ESPN probably didn't scout him much and it hurt his rankings. Admitedlly I'm a little biased towards 24/7.

I don't really think Bo's first 3 RB classes were much better than Riley's. There was no 24/7 until 2010 I think so hard to compare but-

Collins Okafor- 3* Scout / Rivals

Rex Burhead- 3* Scout / 4* Rivals

Braylon Heard- 3* Scout / 4* Rivals

Objectively yes Bo's first 3 classes were better by a small margin in ranking but Okafor didn't play at all and Heard got here a year late and was stuck behind Ameer and Burkhead so he left. Production wise Burkhead is the outlier in the group. We still have plenty of time with Oz/Bryant/Bradley to see how they develop. And I'll admit as good as I think Bradley is we should've had someone locked up way before he ever got an offer.

The main point though of my OP was that if I was a RB and started to do some homework on how Nebraska was going to use me I would not be thrilled at all with Langsdorf's run game. IMO it's hard to recruit a RB when your rotation and game plan is so questionable. So I guess I give Davis some slack on that account.

As far as Bryant goes, 24/7 has him as the 8th overall RB and ESPN has him as the 76th overall RB. ESPN probably didn't scout him much and it hurt his rankings. Admitedlly I'm a little biased towards 24/7.

I don't really think Bo's first 3 RB classes were much better than Riley's. There was no 24/7 until 2010 I think so hard to compare but-

Collins Okafor- 3* Scout / Rivals

Rex Burhead- 3* Scout / 4* Rivals

Braylon Heard- 3* Scout / 4* Rivals

Objectively yes Bo's first 3 classes were better by a small margin in ranking but Okafor didn't play at all and Heard got here a year late and was stuck behind Ameer and Burkhead so he left. Production wise Burkhead is the outlier in the group. We still have plenty of time with Oz/Bryant/Bradley to see how they develop. And I'll admit as good as I think Bradley is we should've had someone locked up way before he ever got an offer.

The main point though of my OP was that if I was a RB and started to do some homework on how Nebraska was going to use me I would not be thrilled at all with Langsdorf's run game. IMO it's hard to recruit a RB when your rotation and game plan is so questionable. So I guess I give Davis some slack on that account.

Just edited my post above apologizing for the tangent. I prefer 247comp and use it almost exclusively. I don't disagree with most of what you said, but still do on some. Feel free to PM if would like.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Slow and steady I guess. I'm torn between this kid and Roberts. Mostly because Roberts has a brother here and loyalty seems important. Unfortunately Roberts is that same bruising type that we already have. Granted Marlow is some what similar, but seems like a bit more burst is present.

Haven't seen a lot from either film as far as pass catching which I think is going to be important going forward. That versatility would be something that I think would really set them a part if one of them could integrate that into their game.

I think what gives Marlow a bit of an edge in my book is his balance and awareness of where he is on the field. He does an excellent job of getting the the edge while staying in bounds. His cuts are just a bit better as well.

I guess I'm a little confused as to what type of back our staff is looking for to compliment their scheme.

It looks like they want a larger, powerful type back. I'm somewhat surprised at that. I would have thought they would want one that would be better in space with speed and agility catching the ball out of the backfield.

I guess I'm a little confused as to what type of back our staff is looking for to compliment their scheme.

It looks like they want a larger, powerful type back. I'm somewhat surprised at that. I would have thought they would want one that would be better in space with speed and agility catching the ball out of the backfield.

I think they are looking for bigger backs because of their need to block pass rushers/blitzers in the pro scheme. 5'10 180lbs taking on a 245lb blitzing OLB isn't a good matchup, imo.

• Mavric changed the title to RB JaVeon Marlow [Vanderbilt - Signed LOI]