RB JaVeon Marlow [Vanderbilt - Signed LOI]

Mavric

HuskerBoard Predictor  

22 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On his profile on 247 it says he is a 4.50 guy.

Our coaches have a track record of finding kids who bump up later it seems. Obviously it's not just Davis's decision and the coaches and staff evaluated him and deemed him worthy of their time.

Doesn't look thrilling, but I think the coaches have earned some trust in their evaluating and recruiting. I'm attempting to learn to not jump to conclusions too early!

On RB's? I disagree.

I'm talking about recruiting in general. I think they do a pretty good job of finding talent. I believe that if they are going after this guy it's because they believe he can play and do so within the context of our offense. We certainly haven't landed any super star runningbacks, but landing them has nothing to do with identifying them which we do well.

Since we identify talent pretty well, I have no reason to believe that this kid isn't skilled enough to earn a scholarship.

I can get behind the idea we've identified talent in general well. But the RB recruiting under this staff has been disappointing to say the least. A big thank you to KennyW, for saving ship with Tre Bryant.

I'm not saying we need to pass on the kid, I'm just a little confused by our running back recruiting strategy. Seems like it would be much easier to target backs of similar caliber in Missouri, Colorado, Iowa, NE ect. We seem to be reaching out all over for players we could find much closer to home is all

Because the talent isn't there. In the 2018 class SD, Kansas and Minnesota have 0 RB prospects with a 3star rating. Missouri has 1 rated a 83 overall. Colorado has 1 rated a 83 overall, and is committed to the Buffs. Iowa has 1 rated a 82 overall.

The RB talent just isn't in the border states.

You start expanding that to Illinois, Texas, Ohio, etc there are prospects but also much more competition.

• Fire 1

I'm not saying we need to pass on the kid, I'm just a little confused by our running back recruiting strategy. Seems like it would be much easier to target backs of similar caliber in Missouri, Colorado, Iowa, NE ect. We seem to be reaching out all over for players we could find much closer to home is all

Because the talent isn't there. In the 2018 class SD, Kansas and Minnesota have 0 RB prospects with a 3star rating. Missouri has 1 rated a 83 overall. Colorado has 1 rated a 83 overall, and is committed to the Buffs. Iowa has 1 rated a 82 overall.

You start expanding that to Illinois, Texas, Ohio, etc there are prospects but also much more competition.

Wonder how Moses Bryant would compare to a kid like this. Seems like Bryant is very versatile and catches a lot of passes which would be a big plus to have out of the backfield.

Wonder how Moses Bryant would compare to a kid like this. Seems like Bryant is very versatile and catches a lot of passes which would be a big plus to have out of the backfield.
If he indeed gets rated as a RB it'd probably be comparable to those three guys. Maybe realistically slightly lower. Those three have much better offers (small P5) to this point.

Wow I was unaware. I figured our area was a little short on running back talent compared to Florida and other places we have been recruiting, but I had no idea it was that severe a gap.

I don't pretend to understand or guess at recruiting strategies. But I have a feeling the coaches don't just look at film and stars.

These coaches all spend their careers building relationships with high school and juco coaches and school administrators. There might be a chance we just know those coaches down there really well, and know that some of their players might consider it up here. There might be a chance that our coaches talk to those high school coaches and ask 'who should we be looking at?' "who are your under the radar guys?' who has something to prove?' 'who are your high character kids who will do well in school and try and show effort and be good teammates?' I am sure some high school coaches tell them, 'look, you have to check this kid out, no one knows about him yet, he doesn't like it here in Florida, he wants out, he's one you need to be getting to know, great kid, great work ethic, does well in school, wants to study geology (or whatever), you want to know who my next D1 players are going to be, he's one of them, right there.'

I don't know, I just think there has to be more to it than watching film, looking at 40 times, seeing how many stars they have. Could it not be a little bit of a puzzle, certain parts are going to fit better here, who is likely to show interest in us? Yes, at some point, you have to offer the talented kids and do what you can to entice them to come here. We could not rely solely on 'high character kids who show effort.' But I would imagine in some cases, there is way more intel that our coaches know, than we fans know about. Some, yes, shot in the dark, can't win if you don't play, but for some, there may be reasons we don't see on the surface.

Not saying that's the case (by no means am I an insider or close to the program at all, just a lifelong fan from way back), but we're often too hasty to jump to a conclusion. Huh? slow Florida kid? Why? Why would we offer that kid?

I understand all of this and I am in no way dismissing this prospect. But these type of prospects are who we are offering at the moment and I was under the impression we could find the same type of players closer to home. I know there is more to it than that but when offer after offer goes out to these types of prospects (under the radar guys) it makes me wonder why we have to go all the way to Florida to do so. Warrior10 really quelled my curiosity by pointing out there aren't even alot of under the radar guys in the area.

Are there 2 of him?

Why are we reaching to the far corners of the US to offer guys like this? Can we not find similar players close to home?

Good question, and why are we reaching this early in the recruiting process for a RB. Nebraska has a great tradition at the position. Could they not use that as part of a recruiting strategy for a top prospect?

Why are we reaching to the far corners of the US to offer guys like this? Can we not find similar players close to home?

Good question, and why are we reaching this early in the recruiting process for a RB. Nebraska has a great tradition at the position. Could they not use that as part of a recruiting strategy for a top prospect?
I did not mean that. I did not use the word reach to suggest this player isn't worthy of an offer. I used the word reach to portray a long distance. Again I was under the impression we had similar players in our radius but we really don't and now that has been pointed out my question has been answered. I wasn't being snooty or suggesting this is a bad offer I had just seen us offering a lot of mid 3 star backs and thought we may have a few of those guys in our backyard we were overlooking. I was wrong which I admit and accept can we move on now?
  • Mavric changed the title to RB JaVeon Marlow [Vanderbilt - Signed LOI]