Rogue One

The Rise of Skywalker

Solo

The Phantom Menace

Revenge of the Sith

The Last Jedi

Attack of the Clones

would be my list

The entire last third of the movie (most of the stuff surrounding...

Spoiler

Palpatine

....is heavily inspired by Return of the Jedi. 

1 hour ago, Cdog923 said:

The entire last third of the movie (most of the stuff surrounding...

Hide contents

Palpatine

....is heavily inspired by Return of the Jedi. 

Ah yes, all the stuff about Rey being his granddaughter, about Lando going out into the galaxy to recruit civilian ships, destroying the star destroyer fleet, Ben coming back to help Rey, the channeling of all the Jedi through her, Palpatine changing his mind about being killed and instead rising to new life and power, and so on. All very heavy ROTJ plot points /s

6 hours ago, Landlord said:

Hide contents

Ah yes, all the stuff about Rey being his granddaughter, about Lando going out into the galaxy to recruit civilian ships, destroying the star destroyer fleet, Ben coming back to help Rey, the channeling of all the Jedi through her, Palpatine changing his mind about being killed and instead rising to new life and power, and so on. All very heavy ROTJ plot points /s

giphy.gif

I think what @Cdog923 is getting at is...

Spoiler

the general story arc with Palpatine is similar to what we saw in RotJ - he wants to make a powerful Force user (in this case, Rey) strike him down and become the head of the Sith. Palpatine tried the same thing with Luke. Palpatine also tried a similar tactic twice - in RotJ, he had Luke stare out of the throne room's window as his friends and the fleet were destroyed, hoping to use this as motivation to strike him down. He did the same with Rey by opening up the ceiling of his base and having her stare at the battle during the part where 'The Final Order' were clearly winning.

But, overall, the circumstances were unique and different enough that it didn't feel anywhere near as duplicative as The Force Awakens.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

Wanted to keep this separate, but I saw the movie yesterday. Here are my thoughts:

(by the way, I think we will keep this thread titled as is for the next week or two, but constantly adding spoiler tags is irritating; so, I imagine we will make spoilers fair game by that point so that people don't have to keep hiding it)

Spoiler

Overall, I really enjoyed it. A much superior product to The Last Jedi which I thought was a bad movie.

I spent the last 90 minutes of RoS in a state of emotional flux. It was awesome, but also exhausting. Just so many cool, heartbreaking and touching moments to try to sort through. I give JJ Abrams a lot of credit - dude knows how to heighten the spectacle.

The primary critique I level against it is that it felt like they tried to move through a lot of critical story elements in too short a time frame. The pace was a little too quick. We were bouncing between so many different things (especially the emotionally charged scenes in the last 90 minutes) that I just felt overwhelmed. Some people might place some of this blame on The Last Jedi because of that movie's plot, and I would certainly agree with those people to an extent. I felt like some of RoS might've been better placed in TLJ, but it would've required a much different story overall in TLJ.

Ultimately, I'm pleased with how this trilogy carried itself, but something about it all still feels a little off to me. Episodes 1-3, although not very good, have a certain charm associated with them. They also developed pretty unique story lines. Episodes 7-9 were of the same DNA as episodes 4-6 and I feel like this is a tad disappointing.

• Plus1 1
48 minutes ago, Enhance said:

I think what @Cdog923 is getting at is...

Hide contents

the general story arc with Palpatine is similar to what we saw in RotJ - he wants to make a powerful Force user (in this case, Rey) strike him down and become the head of the Sith. Palpatine tried the same thing with Luke. Palpatine also tried a similar tactic twice - in RotJ, he had Luke stare out of the throne room's window as his friends and the fleet were destroyed, hoping to use this as motivation to strike him down. He did the same with Rey by opening up the ceiling of his base and having her stare at the battle during the part where 'The Final Order' were clearly winning.

But, overall, the circumstances were unique and different enough that it didn't feel anywhere near as duplicative as The Force Awakens.

Right, so trying to get an aspiring Jedi to kill him or at least turn dark (although I don't think that being killed was his actual *GOAL* in ROTJ, he was just goading Luke) and letting them witness the potential destruction of their friends in a space battle nearby are...the only similarities?

2 minutes ago, Landlord said:

Hide contents

Right, so trying to get an aspiring Jedi to kill him or at least turn dark (although I don't think that being killed was his actual *GOAL* in ROTJ, he was just goading Luke) and letting them witness the potential destruction of their friends in a space battle nearby are...the only similarities?

Spoiler

I won't speak for Cdog, but I imagine that was part of what he was getting at.

I would agree with him in the sense that the foundations of the situations are similar. Main antagonist wants main protagonist to try to kill them and tries to use the protagonist's empathy to their advantage in almost identical ways. Depending on one's perspective, it could be seen as duplicative. But, I think the similarities end there and that they were disparate enough overall to satisfy me as a viewer.

Canonically speaking, the truth about Palpatine isn't as simple as it seems. Some of the expanded universe materials suggest Palpatine is trying to manipulate the Sith/Force so that he can stay in power. I don't think he really "wants" to die, either. He shows time and again a willingness to discard apprentices for presumably stronger ones (Dooku for Maul, Anakin for Dooku, and he tried to get Luke for Vader).

Just got back from seeing TRoS. Much better than TLJ. Of course that isn’t saying much. I won’t delve into things like y’all but will provide my ranking of the SW movies.

New Hope (sue me, I’m a traditionalist and gotta go with the one that started it all)

Empire Strikes Back

Phantom Menace (sue me again but it’s one of my favorites. I don’t get all the hate....except for Jar Jar Binks)

Return of the Jedi (t4)

Rogue One (t4)

The Force Awakens (t4)

Rise of Skywalker (could be higher but it felt rushed and like they tried to cram too much in)

Solo (liked it but didn’t seem necessary for the overall story)

Revenge of the Sith (only redeeming quality was completing the Darth Vader saga)

The Last Jedi (not a good movie)

Attack of the Clones. (More like attack of the worst character and movie ever)

• Plus1 1
19 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Phantom Menace (sue me again but it’s one of my favorites. I don’t get all the hate....except for Jar Jar Binks)

That movie is all about perspective for me. I grew up watching/loving the original Star Wars trilogy, but The Phantom Menace was my first Star Wars experience in the theaters. And I was 10. It just meant a ton to me so, despite the criticism, I still really like to watch it.

I get the shots people take at it, though. The story itself is pretty forgettable. The Darth Maul lightsaber fight and pod racing are the two best parts. In fact, the 'machete' style of watching Star Wars recommends people not even watch episode because of its lack of overall narrative.

I recently rewatched all of them, and The Phantom Menace is far better than I remembered. It's actually fairly decent overall. It's the least cringey of the prequel movies (no terrible romantic subplot and it got the smallest share of the worst dialogue), it and Sith are pretty close overall in quality of action set pieces (mustafar duel is better than the duel of the fates but not by much, and the podrace is better than the opening of Sith but not by a ton), and it's a simple functional story. It's not necessarily "good" but it's at least MUCH better than 2.

Here are my overall rankings after seeing TRoS:

Empire Strikes Back

A New Hope

The Force Awakens

Rogue One

The Rise of Skywalker

Return of the Jedi

Solo

Revenge of the Sith

The Phanton Menance

Attack of the Clones <OR> The Last Jedi (because honestly these are both bad)

Empire Strikes Back

Return of the Jedi

A New Hope

Rogue One

The Force Awakens

Revenge of the Sith

Rise of Skywalker

Solo

Last Jedi

Phantom Menace

Attack of the Clones

This is my list as of now. Jedi is actually my favorite, but I won't argue that it's better than Empire. Last Jedi is probably on par with Phantom Menace but No Jar Jar > Yes Jar Jar. 

2 hours ago, Cdog923 said:

Jedi is actually my favorite, but I won't argue that it's better than Empire.

That's my trouble with Star Wars because I have trouble balancing them objectively as movies vs. which ones I personally like more than others. The list I generally provide (and the one provided above) is how I would rank them as movies.

For example, I think Rogue One is a good movie, but it's easily one of my least favorite to watch. I saw it twice and that was it. Phantom Menace? Not a good movie, but I like watching it over others.

• Fire 1