Terrell Newby Signs With Vikings

They've still got McKinnon, and drafted Dalvin Cook... love Newby, but this isn't the place for him to succeed.

You're possibly right but every NFL team has somebody to contend with. If Newby breaks into the league I think it would be as a 3rd down back, similar to Danny Woodhead in style. Newby's really good at catching passes out of the backfield and could be reliable there.

It's an uphill battle for every UDFA though.

Right now the Vikings have 5 running backs on the roster. Latavius Murray and Dalvin Cook are locks. Jerick McKinnon is a good speedy back but he'll be competing with Cook for playing time now. The fifth is Bishop Sankey, who I don't remember doing anything too exciting in the past (and I am someone who watches most of the Viking's preseason games). So if Newby does well on special teams, I think there is a spot for him if they keep 4 running backs.

They've still got McKinnon, and drafted Dalvin Cook... love Newby, but this isn't the place for him to succeed.

You're possibly right but every NFL team has somebody to contend with. If Newby breaks into the league I think it would be as a 3rd down back, similar to Danny Woodhead in style. Newby's really good at catching passes out of the backfield and could be reliable there.

It's an uphill battle for every UDFA though.

Absolutely. I was trying to say that in the Dylan Utter thread but it wasn't sounding right so I said nothing.

Undrafted free agents have the absolute steepest incline to climb to make a team.

• 2 months later...

http://www.vikings.com/news/article-1/Vikings-Have-Plenty-of-Fresh-Faces-but-only-1-Newby/a2eea2e0-821a-41c3-a958-5d1a531be437

The rookie is part of an intriguing Vikings running back room, in which Jerick McKinnon is the only returner from last year’s active roster. C.J. Ham, who spent almost all of 2016 on Minnesota’s practice squad, free agent signee Latavius Murray and second-round draft pick Dalvin Cook also are part of this year’s group, which is led by Kennedy Polamalu. The Vikings hired the running backs coach in January and moved Kevin Stefanski to quarterbacks coach.

Newby feels that Polamalu, and the Vikings offensive system as a whole, makes Minnesota a good fit for him.

“We ran a similar type of offense in college, so there are some new things but kind of the same base things. It’s a new language, but I’m starting to get most of it because I’ve seen a lot of it before,” Newby said. “And I really enjoy having Coach Polamalu coach me; he’s a great coach.”

Added Newby: “I’ve been learning a lot of new things from him every single day, and I definitely think he can get the best out of me.”

• Fire 1
  • 1 month later...