Big Ten Football Richest/Poorest Programs

Who are Big Ten football's richest and poorest programs? Here are updated figures for the past fiscal year

Here are how the 14 B1G schools' football programs stack up based on recently released revenue figures obtained from the U.S. Department of Education. They are ranked bottom-to-top by gross revenue totals (not including broadcast rights payouts from the league) for the fiscal year 07/01/15 to 06/30/16. So, keep in mind that this revenue generally reflects the 2015 football calendar, not last season.

14. Purdue: $18.7 million
13. Rutgers: $25.2 million
12. Maryland: $30.1 million
11. Illinois: $32.9 million
10. Indiana: $35.2 million
9. Northwestern: $36.2 million
8. Minnesota: $49.3 million
7. Iowa: $56.6 million
6. Michigan State: $64.7 million

5. Nebraska: $65.0 million

Here begins the elite echelon of the conference, the gold-standard programs whose brands seem impervious to any year-to-year fluctuations of the team fortunes. Though Nebraska endured a rocky 2015 on the field in Mike Riley's rookie season and slipped a notch in the rankings from fourth to fifth, its revenue rose nicely by $4.4M and its net after expenses was a healthy $37.5M in 2015-16.

4. Wisconsin: $71.2 million
3. Penn State: $75.5 million
2. Ohio State: $86.6 million
1. Michigan: $97.1 million

• Fire 2

Nebraksa becomes fully vested in July 2017. That would bump up the payout by about $13-$15 million on the current contract. When the new contract kicks in it should be a $20-$25 million increase.

Putting us roughly right there with Ohio State?

No, because the figures in the OP don't include TV revenue.

"They are ranked bottom-to-top by gross revenue totals (not including broadcast rights payouts from the league)..."

Nebraksa becomes fully vested in July 2017. That would bump up the payout by about $13-$15 million on the current contract. When the new contract kicks in it should be a $20-$25 million increase.

Putting us roughly right there with Ohio State?

No, because the figures in the OP don't include TV revenue.

"They are ranked bottom-to-top by gross revenue totals (not including broadcast rights payouts from the league)..."

You mean we have to read the entire quote to get context?

• Fire 2

Ha, sort of funny. MSU logs 64.7M but the elite echelon starts with Nebraska at 65M. Suck it Spartans.

I think the writer is saying that Nebraska is NOT in the elite echelon, which starts at $71 million.

89babaf07ea6cb43e627f906e803c676_-homer-

Ha, sort of funny. MSU logs 64.7M but the elite echelon starts with Nebraska at 65M. Suck it Spartans.

I think the writer is saying that Nebraska is NOT in the elite echelon, which starts at $71 million.
That's part of his commentary on Nebraska. Also I think he's talking more about the brands rather than some monetary cutoff.

Not that it matters one way or the other but the writer clearly said the elite echelon starts at Nebraska. Not sure the qualifications he was using for making that statement. It just struck me as funny that the article was about revenue and we are almost exactly the same in that regard as MSU but he put us in the elite category and not MSU. It's the little things that amuse me.

Not that it matters one way or the other but the writer clearly said the elite echelon starts at Nebraska. Not sure the qualifications he was using for making that statement. It just struck me as funny that the article was about revenue and we are almost exactly the same in that regard as MSU but he put us in the elite category and not MSU. It's the little things that amuse me.

Agree, he said that these programs seem to yearly avoid fluctuation despite on the field performance