The 2020 Presidential Election - Convention & General Election

20 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

I saw this poll earlier and thought it was interesting. North Carolina looks like it's got a real shot at flipping blue next year and the Republican Senator Thom Tillis is up for re-election but is one of best Senate pickup opportunities for Democrats, especially with numbers like these. Anything to get the Senate out of Mitch McConnell's employ, eh?

Most surprised by Harris's numbers in this one. I know she's spent a good deal of time in SC trying to build support for the primary. I'd have thought she'd be stronger there.

I don't think Harris is a well-known name yet on the east coast. And with a +/- 3.1%, those head-to-heads are all pretty close to each other.

5 hours ago, TGHusker said:

2016 polls weren't exactly in Trump's favor either.

6 minutes ago, TheSker said:

2016 polls weren't exactly in Trump's favor either.

I agree if you're talking about the Biden comparison. But the Trump tracking shows Trump is losing support in states he needs in order to win. There's a long time to the election, but that's not good for Trump.

15 hours ago, TGHusker said:

By golly.....that Wyoming and Alabama are going to stick with him no matter what.

I'm actually shocked at how Nebraska changed.

16 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

DNC doing what it does best: pissing off their own voters. DNC declines a debate on climate change and bans the candidates from taking part in a climate debate outside the DNC.

Campaigns go public with anger at Democratic National Committee as first debate looms

DNC Denies 2020 Democrats a Climate Change Debate

so much for being progressive - talking openly about policy ideas. 

The DNC may find a way yet to blow this election against Trump in 2020

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, knapplc said:

Looks like there's no super clear path for Biden to get the nomination as of now, which is fine with me. He doesn't turn the needle for me at all.

Honestly, between Biden and the field, I'd take the field right now.

Interesting. I'd still take Biden, if slightly, since he has the broadest appeal to more people, rather than a very passionate following with a smaller group of people. Dem primaries are interesting though in that they allocate delegates proportionally rather than winner take all like the GOP primary.

The field narrowing down would really make things more interesting. As of now it seems like we're headed toward a nomination where no one has a majority of delegates and several people have to make the case as to why they're the best choice to win next year.

1 hour ago, Moiraine said:

The DNC is gonna try to force this guy on us I think.

Can we stop this stuff?

It's obvious the DNC would prefer him to Bernie because Bernie's a lifelong independent who much like Trump has little to no incentive to do what the party actually wants him to do.

But Biden is the leader in the clubhouse right now because he has the most support amongst voters, not because he's being thrust on anyone.

I mean in 2016 people complained about the system being anti-democratic so reforms were enacted to make it better. You honestly think he's being forced on us in a field of 20+ candidates?

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Moiraine said:

The DNC is gonna try to force this guy on us I think.

Yeah, I have that fear as well. Biden is the candidate most likely to get beat by Trump IMO. But we'll have to wait and see.

27 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

Can we stop this stuff?

No. The DNC gave up the right to the benefit of the doubt after the shenanigans in 2016.

27 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

It's obvious the DNC would prefer him to Bernie because Bernie's a lifelong independent who much like Trump has little to no incentive to do what the party actually wants him to do.

But Biden is the leader in the clubhouse right now because he has the most support amongst voters, not because he's being thrust on anyone.

I mean in 2016 people complained about the system being anti-democratic so reforms were enacted to make it better. You honestly think he's being forced on us in a field of 20+ candidates?

You're right that Biden is indeed the frontrunner in the polling and it's harder to force an outcome with so many candidates. Those are both different than the DNC trying to force a preferred candidate versus being an impartial arbiter. Let's see what the DNC does, but things like a gathering to discuss stopping Bernie don't give me a good feeling that they're going to let democracy play out this time either.