The 2020 Presidential Election - Convention & General Election

5 hours ago, TGHusker said:

Well we got Trump because the Dems voted for him in all of those early cross over primaries - thinking they would derail the other guys from getting the nomination. Well that plan worked well.   It gave Trump a lot of momentum in those early states.  Personally, I don't like open primaries because it makes party 'MEMBERSHIP' of little value.  The GOP should elect their guy/gal and the Dems elect theirs - then that would be a truer sense of each party's value system. 

And by the way, I don't think Biden will win the nomination.   

I was a “crossover” to vote against him.

21 hours ago, Moiraine said:

Do you have evidence for this claim?

It would be interesting if true, but it’s the first I’m hearing of it. I don’t doubt there were a handful of voters who did this, but I highly doubt we “got Trump because the Dems voted for him.” In fact I doubt it was much if a factor at all.

It was more independents I believe than dems.  But some of the GOP candidates were complaining later about it.  There were articles back then about it but I'm too lazy/disinterested/and frustrated to look it up now.  :huh:

3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Why do you believe that you, as a Democrat, should have a say and a, albeit small, part in deciding who should be on the Republican ballot?

Because it is completely legal to change voter registration and participate.  And mostly because I think Trump is so unqualified for this job that wanted the satisfaction to at least vote against him; I never dreamed I'd get to do it twice.

edit: anymore the democratic races tend to be an exercise in futility in Nebraska.  I actually plan to stay registered Republican to hopefully promote more centrist Republicans in primaries, because the GOP candidates will most likely win anyway.

13 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Why shouldn't he? As an american I want the best candidates from each party 

11 minutes ago, funhusker said:

Because it is completely legal to change voter registration and participate.  And mostly because I think Trump is so unqualified for this job that wanted the satisfaction to at least vote against him; I never dreamed I'd get to do it twice.

edit: anymore the democratic races tend to be an exercise in futility in Nebraska.  I actually plan to stay registered Republican to hopefully promote more centrist Republicans in primaries, because the GOP candidates will most likely win anyway.

Well, @Frott Scost posted earlier:

Neither. And I think republicans should stay out of the dem primary. 

Do you agree with him?

4 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Well wait he was talking about candidates not voters 

Well, another quote from him.

I never heard this about the GOP primary and if its true I would say that is f#&%ed up and I agree that it should only be open to party members and independents.

So, from your comments, you're saying that you see no problem with Republicans crossing over and voting for someone to screw up the Dem primaries....Heck, maybe that's why the Republicans are canceling all their primaries so their members can do this instead.

Just now, BigRedBuster said:

Well, another quote from him.

So, from your comments, you're saying that you see no problem with Republicans crossing over and voting for someone to screw up the Dem primaries....Heck, maybe that's why the Republicans are canceling all their primaries so their members can do this instead.

I guess my issue is if someone wanted to do this they can easily just register as an independent and not actually be independent. The people vote for the candidates, I guess I don't see the reason to limit voting to just your parties primary. Less and less people feel any loyalty to these parties anyway.

Ultimately if Democratic voters voted Trump in Republican primaries in order to gain an advantage that didn't really work out for them. Voters can continue to try this method of sabotage but I think eventually people will realize the best bet comes from voting for the best candidates across the board.

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Ultimately if Democratic voters voted Trump in Republican primaries in order to gain an advantage that didn't really work out for them.

That's my biggest problem with it.  Yes, some will cross over and vote for the best Republican they can find.  However, parties are rather strong and can influence people to have other ideas.  voter turnout for primaries tends to be lower so fewer voters have more power.  So....having a crossover voter (or a group of them) to go across only to vote for someone who will be easier to beat....well.....you have a problem with it becoming a cluster f*** like in 2016.

I believe people should vote in the primary with the candidates that most represent their views.  If I'm a liberal minded person, I should stay out of trying to screw with the Republican primary.  If I'm a conservative minded person, I should stay out of trying to screw with the Democrat primary.

Each party put up the person THEIR like minded people think they should...then everyone votes in the general election.

Crossing over to screw with the other party.....is nothing more than the old party politics crap we all act like we hate.

20 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

That's my biggest problem with it.  Yes, some will cross over and vote for the best Republican they can find.  However, parties are rather strong and can influence people to have other ideas.  voter turnout for primaries tends to be lower so fewer voters have more power.  So....having a crossover voter (or a group of them) to go across only to vote for someone who will be easier to beat....well.....you have a problem with it becoming a cluster f*** like in 2016.

I believe people should vote in the primary with the candidates that most represent their views.  If I'm a liberal minded person, I should stay out of trying to screw with the Republican primary.  If I'm a conservative minded person, I should stay out of trying to screw with the Democrat primary.

Each party put up the person THEIR like minded people think they should...then everyone votes in the general election.

Crossing over to screw with the other party.....is nothing more than the old party politics crap we all act like we hate.

I'm not advocating for that to be clear and I think that is a fools errand anyway. That's what I'm saying. People can do that but they will soon find it backfires more often than not. That's why I'm not worried about it personally because I think people will realize they are better off always voting for the best choice in their opinion

Also in response to the like minded idea, that just perpetuates the 2 party system that most find doesn't represent them anyway. That's another point here. I may be more liberal minded but that doesn't mean I really  support or want to be a part of the Democratic party.