The 2020 Presidential Election - Convention & General Election

44 minutes ago, NM11046 said:

My understanding is that there are a couple others, Maxine Walters & Bernie also doing rebuttals on other stations (BET and I'm not sure where Bernie's will be) with the same message and talking points.  I actually very much like that idea, but it will be interesting to see if they pull it off without looking disjointed.

And while I'm not sure how Joe got picked for this, I do know that he has higher aspirations for office.  Not sure if that's as P or VP in 2020, but I have a close friend with ties to the family and he's making moves to identify those around him that would potentially be going with him to DC.  I'll be anxious to see my friend next week and pick his brain a bit more after the SOTU rebuttal.

It's funny how the rebuttal has been the death of some political careers - but a strong one will certainly be a good beacon for our democracy right now.  Joe will do great.

Keep us posted. I'm looking forward to hearing more about Joe's future!

Edited by schriznoeder
  • Plus1 2

Just now, dudeguyy said:

Republicans, with very few exceptions, proudly rallied around an alleged child molester because they needed the Senate seat.

Fru has a good point. You don't see that type of dogged rallying around a candidate (even if they're garbage) on the left. Only on the right. If you didn't see it on the right, Trump wouldn't ever have been elected.

In that same race didn't Dems rally around Doug Jones?

40 minutes ago, Fru said:

Very true.

I was just pointing out how the left seems to never be satisfied and doesn't rally around candidates. It seems like it doesn't matter who they'd pick, there'd have been something to complain about. Bernie is an old white guy. Elizabeth Warren  doesn't include intersectional feminist populaces. Maxine Waters is corrupt. Cory Booker takes big pharma money. There's always something that liberals find to tear down people who are generally on their same side and looking to advance the same causes.

Isn't this basically how the game is played?  If someone isn't absolutely perfect, they are torn apart.  And....in some circles, a man like Kennedy is a long ways away from perfect because of things out of his control.  So...yes....the rebuttal should be from some marginalized group.

48 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

In that same race didn't Dems rally around Doug Jones?

I would say they rallied away from Roy Moore.

But Doug Jones was a good candidate. My point was more specifically rallying around bad candidates. The GOP just elected Trump & tried their best to elect Moore. 

The standard Republicans are forced to live up to by their own party is in freefall with no signs of stopping.

• Plus1 1

32 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Isn't this basically how the game is played?  If someone isn't absolutely perfect, they are torn apart.  And....in some circles, a man like Kennedy is a long ways away from perfect because of things out of his control.  So...yes....the rebuttal should be from some marginalized group.

Like I said earlier, Republicans will unify and vote for a man openly endorsed by the KKK or a man who is a child molester. Liberals tend to not unify and often get caught up in the minutiae of identity politics, and seem unable to discern an imperfect friend/ally from a deadly enemy. 

Edited by Fru
  • Plus1 1
1 hour ago, dudeguyy said:

Republicans, with very few exceptions, proudly rallied around an alleged child molester because they needed the Senate seat.

Fru has a good point. You don't see that type of dogged rallying around a candidate (even if they're garbage) on the left. Only on the right. If you didn't see it on the right, Trump wouldn't ever have been elected.

Agreed . Amazes me how Trumps supporters fiercely supported him during the campaign, and still do, no matter what he does. He routinely does all the things he accuses the left of doing, and worse , but they defend him anyway.

Meanwhile the left is squabbling, trying to draw a hard line between a "progressive" and a "Democrat", Bernie or bust thinking etc , and  tearing down any candidate who doesn't fit their agenda perfectly. Splitting the left like that, makes it much harder to get the 65 million+ /270 electoral votes it takes to win the election. 

I don't think the people of money and power who really run everything, will allow a radical agenda to succeed  on either side, and while the thought of tearing the establishment down is great, i don't think that's  going to happen anytime soon either.

I think after the craziness, and volatility of the Trump presidency people will be ready for a calm , smart, well spoken individual who they feel cares about them. Someone who knows how to navigate the tangled web of politics, and make positive changes.  Kennedy seems like that kind of guy to me, and i think unified support of someone like him is the Lefts best chance in 2020.

Edited by Big Red 40
  • Plus1 1
10 minutes ago, Big Red 40 said:

Agreed . Amazes me how Trumps supporters fiercely supported him during the campaign, and still do, no matter what he does. He routinely does all the things he accuses the left of doing, and worse , but they defend him anyway.

Meanwhile the left is squabbling, trying to draw a hard line between a "progressive" and a "Democrat", Bernie or bust thinking etc , and  tearing down any candidate who doesn't fit their agenda perfectly. Splitting the left like that, makes it much harder to get the 65 million+ /270 electoral votes it takes to win the election. 

I don't think the people of money and power who really run everything, will allow a radical agenda to succeed  on either side, and while the thought of tearing the establishment down is great, i don't think that's  going to happen anytime soon either.

I think after the craziness, and volatility of the Trump presidency people will be ready for a calm , smart, well spoken individual who they feel cares about them. Someone who knows how to navigate the tangled web of politics, and make positive changes.  Kennedy seems like that kind of guy to me, and i think unified support of someone like him is the Lefts best chance in 2020.

I'm from the Bobby and Jack Kennedy era - I liked both of them and didn't care so much for Teddy( that little car accident incident didn't sit to well with me).  I remember my 2nd grade teacher crying after Jack was shot (yes I'm that old) and the nuns (doing my summer catechism class) crying the next morning after Bobby was shot.  So, I don't know much about this new generation Kennedy.  What can you tell me - seems like he's been under the radar.

Edited by TGHusker

Ha ha I’m a little younger than you but still a geezer compared to most on this page ,it’s all good though . :cheers

I follow him on FB and I’ve seen quite a few of his videos there . Here’s a decent link on his policies . 

http://www.ontheissues.org/MA/Joe_Kennedy_III.htm

I like his stance on Medicare/Medicaid /  /social security , he’s in favor of universal health care , sensible immigration reform , gun rights, cutting military spending/ achieving peace. Some other issues not perfectly aligned with mine but most are . I really like his general demeanor , and communication skills a lot . 

Edited by Big Red 40
  • Plus1 1
9 hours ago, NM11046 said:

My understanding is that there are a couple others, Maxine Walters & Bernie also doing rebuttals on other stations (BET and I'm not sure where Bernie's will be) with the same message and talking points.  I actually very much like that idea, but it will be interesting to see if they pull it off without looking disjointed.

And while I'm not sure how Joe got picked for this, I do know that he has higher aspirations for office.  Not sure if that's as P or VP in 2020, but I have a close friend with ties to the family and he's making moves to identify those around him that would potentially be going with him to DC.  I'll be anxious to see my friend next week and pick his brain a bit more after the SOTU rebuttal.

It's funny how the rebuttal has been the death of some political careers - but a strong one will certainly be a good beacon for our democracy right now.  Joe will do great.

Joe did a great job! 

2 hours ago, dudeguyy said:

Some hushed signals from Team Obama re: 2020:

Holder? The AG that was going after government whistleblowers, let the banks slide after the fraud and abuse of the recession, and had the crazy DEA gun running thing that he resigned over. Really?

37 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Holder? The AG that was going after government whistleblowers, let the banks slide after the fraud and abuse of the recession, and had the crazy DEA gun running thing that he resigned over. Really?

He was also the first African American AG, cleared of any wrongdoing by the DOJ OIG for Fast & Furious & making a major push in 2020 for fair redistricting with President Obama.

You'd have to provide more info on the whistleblower bit, as I don't know anything about it. I understand being upset about his response to banks & execs. But let's not propagate GOP attack ads against the guy for them. He stepped down in 2014 of his own accord... wasn't forced to, as far as I know. 

I doubt he ends up running, anyway. But I'm thankful there is some good with the bad.

1 hour ago, dudeguyy said:

He was also the first African American AG, cleared of any wrongdoing by the DOJ OIG for Fast & Furious & making a major push in 2020 for fair redistricting with President Obama.

You'd have to provide more info on the whistleblower bit, as I don't know anything about it. I understand being upset about his response to banks & execs. But let's not propagate GOP attack ads against the guy for them. He stepped down in 2014 of his own accord... wasn't forced to, as far as I know. 

I doubt he ends up running, anyway. But I'm thankful there is some good with the bad.

Even though Holder was cleared of knowing about the op ahead of time, he impeded the investigation by refusing to turn over documents to Congress:

The House of Representatives found [Holder] in contempt of Congress in June for failing to hand over documents  to lengthy and often testy committee hearings – a first for a sitting member of a president's cabinet.

As for going after whistleblowers: Eric Holder’s dark civil liberties legacy

Prosecuting leakers and whistleblowers: It’s not just Edward Snowden and Chelsea Manning – the Obama administration has prosecuted more people under the 1917 Espionage Act than all other previous administrations combined. Recent attempts at reform have still left would-be whistleblowers afraid of retaliation, and some agencies have revised official policies to restrict conversations with journalists about even the most basic things.

I also think Obama's legacy with whistleblowers is not a proud part of his overall legacy.

But forgive me If I don't care that Holder was held in contempt of Congress. That particular Congress had a nearly 50-seat GOP majority. They held 241 seats at that point. 238 Rs voted to hold him in contempt.  The contempt vote passed 255-67.

The hole thing was orchestrated by Darrell Issa, who is a man I absolutely loathe for being an utter partisan hack. The whole thing was a strictly an exercise in partisan politics. I no more trust Darrell Issa (or really any Republican) to carry out fair, impartial oversight than I think Fast & Furious was a good idea in the first place - which is not at all.