Husker Support Staff Salaries

We are still paying Bo a lot of money ($1.8 million per year until 2019) that could be given to the staff.

The $ that is paying Bo's payout is coming from a different source of funds. It's not coming from Athletic Department funds. If you want to complain about things, get your facts straight before complaining about something.

I hope we're never a school that pays as much money for coaches/staff as, say, a place like Texas.

However, we're not nearly as cheap as the tone of this thread suggests. We're not top 1%, but especially compared to how frugal we were UNDER Osborne as AD, we've been ponying up the cash for recruiting and for assistants more and more each year. Bob Diaco is the highest paid assistant in program history.

The cost of living is a big difference. It's a lot cheaper to live in Lincoln than it is Austin.

Tom Osborne the lavish spender? Wow, now I've heard everything.

Yes: as Branno says, cost of living factors into this. Also, I love Todd McShane and hope he gets a raise soon. However, the fact that he tweets a lot and thus his work is more visible than DVD's on social media does not indicate anything about the relative importance of their respective positions in the department.

• Fire 1

We are still paying Bo a lot of money ($1.8 million per year until 2019) that could be given to the staff.

The $ that is paying Bo's payout is coming from a different source of funds. It's not coming from Athletic Department funds. If you want to complain about things, get your facts straight before complaining about something.

Where in my post is there a complaint? I was simply posting that we have a decent chunk of change going out that should end in the next few years. That "special fund" is money that could have been donated to the athletic fund, had it not been needed to get rid of Bo. /smh

i guess I didn't see in the article where these salaries compare to the other colleges mentioned.

Pretty much this. Hard to really take anything away from this article without a point of comparison.

I think that it might be difficult to do an apples-to-apples comparison for support staffs. Schools can create football-supporting jobs with misleading titles, since the NCAA doesn't regulate this area much yet.

Where in my post is there a complaint? I was simply posting that we have a decent chunk of change going out that should end in the next few years. That "special fund" is money that could have been donated to the athletic fund, had it not been needed to get rid of Bo. /smh

If you weren't complaining, why mention that we're still paying Bo. What is the point?

But, let's say that we weren't paying Bo out, why do you think this money could go to these employees? We can already afford it, if this USA Today report is to be believed http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances/, we choose to pay these employees at these levels.

Here's a little article with some comparative information.

http://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/alabama-clemson-roll-into-title-game-with-3-million-football-support-staffs/

I'm not proposing that we need to be in the top five in the country or compete head to head with what Texas or Bama are doing but surely, given our resources and obvious recruiting disadvantages, I see no reason not be doing all we reasonably can in this area.

• Fire 1

If I recall, I believe the trend can accurately be described as "significant increasing investment in football support staff over the past several years".

Oh yeah, I wouldn't argue with that. We have improved greatly in the last few years in this regard. But I think the point can be made that we started pretty far back and have lagged behind our peers (or those who used to be our peers) in coach and support staff compensation. We still have a lot of catching up to do to be in the same neighborhood as where we would like to see our team ranked. Pretty tough to be a top ten team when so many of the metrics place you well below that. The moneyball approach, while intriguing for something like MLB, just won't cut it in today's CFB world.

• 3 months later...