Manchester

http://ottawacitizen.com/opinion/columnists/glavin-were-shedding-idiotic-talk-about-terrorism

In the best, hard-headed and big-hearted traditions of that great British city, Manchester’s Muslim cab drivers spent the night delivering people to their destinations without their meters on. The Sikhs’ opened their gurudwaras and langars to the stranded and the hungry. The blood donation centre was turning people away by Tuesday morning. Imams and Muslim youth groups from throughout Britain streamed into the city to gather with the thousands of “old stock” Mancunians for a vigil at Albert Square.

The full-throated consensus was that the people of Manchester will not be badgered into outbursts of Muslim-baiting.

They will not go at one another’s throats. They will grieve together, and rejoice in their freedom together.

Said Eddy Newman, the Lord Mayor of Manchester: “We will defy the terrorists by working together to create cohesive, diverse communities that are stronger together. We are the many, they are the few.”

• Fire 1

I've been thinking about this the last few days. What is the difference between the UK and the US? They seem to have larger more frequent terrorist attacks than we do here. Or maybe that's just my perception...

Yeah, I think proximity to Europe/Africa/ME is a big factor. The US enjoys a lot of physical insularity. Our military's reach is unparalleled and no country in the world is better equipped to drop bombs anywhere anytime. That reachability is not the same in reverse. The same can probably be said of Canada, Australia, South America, etc.

I've been thinking about this the last few days. What is the difference between the UK and the US? They seem to have larger more frequent terrorist attacks than we do here. Or maybe that's just my perception...

Distance?

But they're an island...

Distance?
But they're an island...
But once you get into the EU it's pretty easy to move around the EU. These people aren't sneaking in so the fact England's an island isn't relevant.

(and the U.S. is a giant island that has much more ocean between it and the places that influence radicalists(is that a word?))

I haven't read a lot about the attack but I know there are some cities in England with large Muslim populations. I'm guessing a larger % of English citizens is Muslim than American citizens are Muslim. Most aren't radical of course but it just makes sense that England is easier and more inviting to enter if you're emigrating from the Middle East.

Obviously there is going to be more occurances in Turkey. I just mean at first blush there isn't a great difference between the US and the UK. Low muslim populations, low unemployment, strong military and intelligence. The British may have stricter immigration laws though. They don't have to follow the EU rules with regard to immigration. They have rules regarding very specific jobs that can recieve visas, minimum income of spouses as well. Just looking up quick wiki numbers though; England is about 4.5% muslim, the US is about 0.9%.

Also, the Brits are ticked at us and Framce for leaking the bombers name and other details before they were ready.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/may/24/us-officials-leak-more-manchester-details-hours-after-uk-rebuke

Extraordinary details about the bomb used in the Manchester atrocity have been published in the New York Times, almost all of it forensic evidence gathered by the British police at the scene.

A series of photographs of the remains of the bomb, the detonator and what appeared to be a rucksack were leaked. The preliminary investigation by the police is extremely detailed, down to the belief that the killer, Salman Abedi, held the small detonator in his left hand.

Suspicion on who leaked it to the US-based reporter rested on US officials, who have been feeding a series of details about the Manchester bombing to American journalists.

Leaking such inside information from the investigation will add to tensions between the US and UK over the extent to which much of the investigation is being leaked by authorities in America.

So people living in England are 5.6 times as likely as people living in the U.S. to be Muslim.

I believe citizens of the EU can get what we call a work visa in any other EU country without restrictions. So they can easily go to the UK to work.

So people living in England are 5.6 times as likely as people living in the U.S. to be Muslim.

I believe citizens of the EU can get what we call a work visa in any other EU country without restrictions. So they can easily go to the UK to work.

Hence Brexit!

Except just like the majority of terrorist in the EU he was a 20 something born in the country he attacked (I think even a citizen). The child of refugees/immigrants from the middle east. This is rarely an immigration issue.
  • Fire 1

Except just like the majority of terrorist in the EU he was a 20 something born in the country he attacked (I think even a citizen). The child of refugees/immigrants from the middle east. This is rarely an immigration issue.

I know it was only 2 or 3 posts above this, but I think this is very important.

bump