Cannabis legality

27 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Or maybe people don't think it's any big deal to have stoned drivers. :dunno:

First time I got high I drove up Trail Ridge Road in Rocky Mountain National Park. All it did was make me extremely paranoid and careful.

Yeah, I've driven when I was high. And I've driven when I've been drinking. Neither is a good idea.

• Fire 1

Definitely should be decriminalized, but I'm on the fence when it comes to being legal. However, sitting here trying to make an argument against legalization I am finding that I could seamlessly replace "marijuana" with "alcohol", and I sure as hell wouldn't be for prohibition.

Is there a breathalyzer test for pot? I'd have serious reservations about making it legal before we have the technology to test for it. Or maybe people don't think it's any big deal to have stoned drivers. :dunno:

OTOH, we should NOT be sending people to prison for marijuana possession. What a waste of taxpayer dollars.

Alcohol was legal before the breathalyzer was invented. Cops gave field sobriety tests instead, which is what they're doing here in Colorado for pot.

OTOH, I know several tech companies in Denver are trying to be the first to come up with the pot version of the breathalyzer, so it's probably just a matter of time.

• Fire 1

Where the criminalized status has been a concrete or abstract issue probably depends on a few things not under your control.

@teacher -- have I mentioned something about a last warning before regarding trolling? If not, consider this one to be it. Thanks.

Is there a breathalyzer test for pot? I'd have serious reservations about making it legal before we have the technology to test for it. Or maybe people don't think it's any big deal to have stoned drivers. :dunno:

OTOH, we should NOT be sending people to prison for marijuana possession. What a waste of taxpayer dollars.

I think I heard that in Washington (the state) they were hiring people to smoke pot for tests in order to try to develop a breathalyzer for it.

First time I got high I drove up Trail Ridge Road in Rocky Mountain National Park. All it did was make me extremely paranoid and careful.

Yeah, I've driven when I was high. And I've driven when I've been drinking. Neither is a good idea.

Probably true, but there is no comparison. Being drunk is far worse than being high when it comes to driving.

Here's the abstract of a paper reviewing the studies done on marijuana vs alcohol driving-impairment (emphasis mine):

The prevalence of both alcohol and cannabis use and the high morbidity associated with motor vehicle crashes has lead to a plethora of research on the link between the two. Drunk drivers are involved in 25% of motor vehicle fatalities, and many accidents involve drivers who test positive for cannabis. Cannabis and alcohol acutely impair several driving-related skills in a dose-related fashion, but the effects of cannabis vary more between individuals than they do with alcohol because of tolerance, differences in smoking technique, and different absorptions of Δ9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), the active ingredient in marijuana. Detrimental effects of cannabis use vary in a dose-related fashion, and are more pronounced with highly automatic driving functions than with more complex tasks that require conscious control, whereas with alcohol produces an opposite pattern of impairment. Because of both this and an increased awareness that they are impaired, marijuana smokers tend to compensate effectively while driving by utilizing a variety of behavioral strategies. Combining marijuana with alcohol eliminates the ability to use such strategies effectively, however, and results in impairment even at doses which would be insignificant were they of either drug alone. Epidemiological studies have been inconclusive regarding whether cannabis use causes an increased risk of accidents; in contrast, unanimity exists that alcohol use increases crash risk. Furthermore, the risk from driving under the influence of both alcohol and cannabis is greater than the risk of driving under the influence of either alone. Future research should focus on resolving contradictions posed by previous studies, and patients who smoke cannabis should be counseled to wait several hours before driving, and avoid combining the two drugs.

Probably true, but there is no comparison. Being drunk is far worse than being high when it comes to driving.

I dunno. It depends on how high you are. I've seen people so high that they couldn't remember their own name. Never seen a drunk that couldn't remember his (or her) name. Just sayin.. :lol:

Alcohol was legal before the breathalyzer was invented. Cops gave field sobriety tests instead, which is what they're doing here in Colorado for pot.

OTOH, I know several tech companies in Denver are trying to be the first to come up with the pot version of the breathalyzer, so it's probably just a matter of time.

There was a story on this a few months ago on NPR. The thing that stuck out to me was the conundrum of the difference between a chronic user (of chronic), and a casual user.

Chronic, or regular, users always have a level of THC in their bodies, whether high or not. This is because it is stored in fat tissue and released slowly into the bloodstream, breaking down (I assume by the liver) over time. Even casual users will have some level of it in their bodies for a while after the psychoactive affects are gone.

I dunno. It depends on how high you are. I've seen people so high that they couldn't remember their own name. Never seen a drunk that couldn't remember his (or her) name. Just sayin.. :lol:

Shoot, they are saying that texting is more of an impairment than being drunk while you drive.

Shoot, they are saying that texting is more of an impairment than being drunk while you drive.

That's against the law in many places too. And it should be.

And I do it like crazy...

And I do it like crazy...

I seldom do. Sometimes if I'm driving on a highway and there is no traffic I might. But it's been over a year since I even did that.

• 10 months later...

The benefits and harms of medical marijuana can be debated, but more states are legalizing pot, even for recreational use. A new evaluation of marijuana’s risks is overdue.

Last year, the National Academies of Sciences, Medicine and Engineering released a comprehensive report on cannabis use. At almost 400 pages long, it reviewed both potential benefits and harms. Let’s focus on the harms.