Recruiting Misses and Their Effect on Perception of Coaches

So how is it Riley's fault that two idiots can't pass the entrance exam with a high enough score or graduate HS with a high enough GPA? Also, is it really Riley's fault that KJ Jr, couldn't put down the peace pipe??? Only idiots were blaming BO then and only idiots would blame Riley now. Just not the same idiots I guess.

The likelihood of a player qualifying is a huge factor when it comes to recruiting. A lot of very skilled players will not get offers from top schools because those schools are afraid of them qualifying academically.

@Mav, cough

Not quite following you. Are you saying that ColoradoHusk had already posted the same point I was making? I agree that he did. I just thought I'd expound on it a bit more.

Yikes, that recruiting class ended up being pretty bo-like

How is this class Bo-like? I understand losing Blades hurt bad, but we had two better wide receivers than Keyshawn and two better than Watts is what it sounds like. Not having a secondary player in this class sucks, but look we got Tyjon who is elite, Gebbia who I think everyone here believes his future is really bright, Roberts who looks to be a great linebacker as a true freshman, McQuitty with high upside, and Thomas who has drawn raves of playing this year. This class is definitely better than Bo's classes. Blades was the only huge loss IMO. Keyshawn will be back but he wouldn't of contributed this year.

Blades was our second-highest rated recruit. We had one WR rated better than KJJ and it was by 0.0051 - though I personally thought McQuitty was a better prospect. And Watts was the highest-rated DL we had.

#2, #6 and #8 in the class, as someone else pointed out.

• Fire 2

Yikes, that recruiting class ended up being pretty bo-like

How is this class Bo-like? I understand losing Blades hurt bad, but we had two better wide receivers than Keyshawn and two better than Watts is what it sounds like. Not having a secondary player in this class sucks, but look we got Tyjon who is elite, Gebbia who I think everyone here believes his future is really bright, Roberts who looks to be a great linebacker as a true freshman, McQuitty with high upside, and Thomas who has drawn raves of playing this year. This class is definitely better than Bo's classes. Blades was the only huge loss IMO. Keyshawn will be back but he wouldn't of contributed this year.

Blades was our second-highest rated recruit. We had one WR rated better than KJJ and it was by 0.0051 - though I personally thought McQuitty was a better prospect. And Watts was the highest-rated DL we had.

#2, #6 and #8 in the class, as someone else pointed out.

Don't forget Tyjon was higher rated than Keyshawn, but he's supposed to come back. Watts I don't know much about, but sounds like Thomas and Daniels are both really good, so unless Watts is a superstar I don't think he would've made much od a difference. We still got a good class. Blades did hurt a lot.

Riley is nice and well liked...that is why this is not a "problem" for a lot of fans right now. Sad thing is he is I need his 30th year of coaching and these are mistakes that new coaches make.

Interestingly, I've been re-watching last years games (shill for my youtube channel), and in the Indiana game, the announcers mentioned that Riley is the 2nd most experienced coach in CFB (42 years), next to Saban (44 years).

Riley is nice and well liked...that is why this is not a "problem" for a lot of fans right now. Sad thing is he is I need his 30th year of coaching and these are mistakes that new coaches make.

Interestingly, I've been re-watching last years games (shill for my youtube channel), and in either the Indiana game, the announcers mentioned that Riley is the 2nd most experienced coach in CFB (42 years), next to Saban (44 years).

Wow!

I don't think this program will be able to just reload, like it used to under T O. Winning helps do that. If Riley can't start to do that in the next couple of years, these what look to be very good classes the last two years, will start to drop off and we will be going through changes in staff again, in three years. jmo

GBR!!!

We are now at 77 scholarship players currently on the team.

Remember how Bo was crucified for having around 80 guys on scholarship entering fall camp?

I 'member. #memberberries

"Bo is basically putting us on probation by not having 85 guys on scholarship"

Yep, I remember.

So, basically Riley is managing the roster like he did at Oregon State, when he had a hard time getting anywhere near the 85 scholarship limit on an annual basis.

Was that the case at OSU?

Riley said that during spring practice he would barely be able to do a 2-deep roster. Now, some of that would be due to a much lower number of walk-ons at Oregon State, but I remember saying he would be lucky to have 60 scholarship players during spring practice.

Couldn't that have everything to do with a large senior class and very few early enrollees? I'll answer that for you, yes is the answer.

We are now at 77 scholarship players currently on the team.

Remember how Bo was crucified for having around 80 guys on scholarship entering fall camp?

I 'member. #memberberries

"Bo is basically putting us on probation by not having 85 guys on scholarship"

Yep, I remember.

So, basically Riley is managing the roster like he did at Oregon State, when he had a hard time getting anywhere near the 85 scholarship limit on an annual basis.

Was that the case at OSU?

Riley said that during spring practice he would barely be able to do a 2-deep roster. Now, some of that would be due to a much lower number of walk-ons at Oregon State, but I remember saying he would be lucky to have 60 scholarship players during spring practice.
Couldn't that have everything to do with a large senior class and very few early enrollees? I'll answer that for you, yes is the answer.
This happening every year?

So when it happens to Riley, its because he isnt good at numbers or recruiting? What happens when it happens to Nick Saban, almost on a yearly basis? This happens to every staff. I follow several p5 teams, and this is a common occurrence. You cant force kids to be honest with you. Some kids think when they commit to a school, they dont have to go to HS classes anymore.

Some people here need to find a hobby for the next 6 weeks.

• Fire 1

Do you have any actual information on how much it happens to others? I would really be interested in that. But it seems like you're just speculating and throwing out a name.

I'm sure it happens to some extent almost everywhere. My own personal opinion is it isn't nearly as big of a deal as people make it out to be. But plenty of people tried to make it into a big deal over the last few years so the attitude change is interesting.

• Fire 1

Do you have any actual information on how much it happens to others? I would really be interested in that. But it seems like you're just speculating and throwing out a name.

I'm sure it happens to some extent almost everywhere. My own personal opinion is it isn't nearly as big of a deal as people make it out to be. But plenty of people tried to make it into a big deal over the last few years so the attitude change is interesting.

Yep, exaclty

I read an article a while back about what happens to top recruits. Any school that signs top guys is going to have issues every couple of years. Michigan a few years ago had like 3 or 4 of their top guys not make it in the first 2 years for various reasons. Not qualifying, issues with the law, washing out. So I think if you really follow recruiting of every power 5 school you would know that every school has issues every year or so, but most people don't so when it happens to Neb it's a huge problem

Yep, exaclty

So what you're saying is that people make a bigger deal out of it when they're predisposed to not liking the coach.

Then you mock the coach for being "likable."

sh#t happens. We're thin. We'll know more when the games are played.

• Fire 2