Ranking Husker Position Groups

Position Group Ranking  

38 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Nick Bahe, the popular sports-talk show host on 1620 AM, tweeted out his best-to-worst rankings of Nebraska's position groups.

1. Defensive backs

2. Quarterbacks

3. Linebackers

4. Defensive linemen

5. Wide receivers/tight ends

6. Running backs

7. Offensive linemen

My reaction: If Nick is right about Nos. 6 and 7, forget Nebraska winning the Big Ten West Division.

My best-to-worst position-group rankings:

1. Defensive backs

2. Quarterbacks

3. Linebackers

4. Offensive linemen

5. Defensive linemen

6. Wide receivers/tight ends

7. Running backs

LJS

I'd feel more comfortable if there was another proven position group or two ahead of QBs at this point but I'm not sure I can put one over them unfortunately.

Not to say QB isn't our second best position group, or maybe even the best one, but man. There's a lot of unproven hype there currently.

Let me explain. It might not make sense to some or even myself.

I'm good with the three QBs. Smart, quick release, pretty accurate, and on same page with OC. Will get sacked a bunch though.

The RBs are actually pretty good. It's not their fault that the plays called for them don't favor their strengths. That's on the OC & HC.

The DBs lost two to injury (spring/offseason), a couple guys still unproven (Lee, Jackson), and some musical chairs with position and depth.

I kind of like the LBs. They could be the best group overall, but I think they're a year away for sure. Will pay close attention as season goes.

I like Mick at NG, the Davis brothers, Freedom, etc at DL. But they seem so raw.

The OL is a mystery to me, despite having some young depth.

WR/TE has a few good ones, potential is there. But gone is the 3 year production of Westy, Reilly, Alonzo Moore, Carter.

• Fire 1

I see pros and cons to every position group so this is actually a pretty challenging and interesting topic. I have always felt the way to really evaluate the team as a whole was to sum up the total of its parts. I used a very subjective 1 to 10 scale with 10 being national championship caliber and one being basically the worst in the conference or even less. I assign a number rating to each group, adding in numbers for place kicking, kickoff, returns and coverage as well. Total them all up and figure the average and if its above an 'eight', then you have a chance to win the conference. Above a 9 and in your in the title hunt. Comparing the various groups to each other rather than to a more generic 'scale' really doesn't mean so much. Now, if you were to compare our position groups to those of the other teams we play, that gives an indication but its hard to know that. Therefore, I tend to use past position groups and then make that subjective judgment as to how each group might compare to the past 'best' groups. Another way I like to evaluate is to ask myself the simple question: Are they good enough to win the conference?

Place Kicker - 9.5

QBs - 9.0

DBs - 9.0

LBs - 8.5

RBs - 8.5

WRs - 8.0

DL - 8.0

OL - 8.0

Kick Coverage - 8.0

Kick Returns - 7.5
TEs - 7.5

Punter - 6.0

Average = 8.1

This suggests we will be in the Big Ten west div race but it's unlikely we'll make the championship and very unlikely to win it. You'd need to average about a 9.0 to beat Ohio State on a lucky day. I admit the punter number may be too high but I just can't bring myself to think he will not be much improved over last year.

Admittedly, this gets harder every year that I am away from the games (I live in New York) and will be lucky to get one game this fall. I can judge the team much better watching live in 3-D in the stadium than a TV set.

The RBs are actually pretty good. It's not their fault that the plays called for them don't favor their strengths. That's on the OC & HC.

That, and a weak OL. The backs are there for a good ground game, but I'm less than convinced that we'll see it anytime soon.

• Fire 1

1 - DBs - Even with a couple injuries, it's still our most experienced and proven group

2 - LBs - I think Gifford will surprise people and Young will be more comfortable. If we had a Boundary guy (move Newby there?) this might be our top group (with Jones out)

3 - QBs - Could be our #1 group but none of them has even taken a snap so I'll wait and see

4 - DL - In a 4-3 it might be at the bottom. But needed one fewer guy helps. Carlos is a beast. Mick is a huge effort guy. Freedom is the most proven. And Khalil will be a strong rotation guy.

5 - OL - Kind of a toss-up with the DL. The talent is there. Hopefully the scheme will let them show it.

6 - WR - Not very deep but I think the guys we put out there are plenty good.

7 - RB - Bad combination of no feature back and not as much chance to let them be in a position to succeed.

• Fire 1

I think it's crazy how the OL isn't easily the worst rated. Easily the weakest unit on the field IMO especially inside. I don't think the DL gets enough love. I think they should be the 2nd or 3rd rated group especially if Daniels and Thomas can provide depth.

• Fire 1

1 - DBs - Even with a couple injuries, it's still our most experienced and proven group

2 - LBs - I think Gifford will surprise people and Young will be more comfortable. If we had a Boundary guy (move Newby there?) this might be our top group (with Jones out)

3 - QBs - Could be our #1 group but none of them has even taken a snap so I'll wait and see

4 - DL - In a 4-3 it might be at the bottom. But needed one fewer guy helps. Carlos is a beast. Mick is a huge effort guy. Freedom is the most proven. And Khalil will be a strong rotation guy.

5 - OL - Kind of a toss-up with the DL. The talent is there. Hopefully the scheme will let them show it.

6 - WR - Not very deep but I think the guys we put out there are plenty good.

7 - RB - Bad combination of no feature back and not as much chance to let them be in a position to succeed.

This is pretty close to where I'm at LBs and QBs are close then a little drop and OL and DL are tight then a little drop and I think the skill guys are pretty close to each other

You guys really think that our WRs are going to be the second worst position group on the team?

Morgan = Proven he can play at a high level

Pierson El = Has proven he can be a play maker at return man, should be as healthy as he has been since his first injury Should show good things at WR

Reimers = Has shown he can make plays.

Spielman = Have heard good things about him.

Young = Walkon that has been talked about quite a bit

Lindsey = stud out of HS. I expect him to have at least as good of freshman year as Morgan did.

McQuitty = If needed, he could step in and have a decent Freshman year. Coming out of HS, he was rated higher than Morgan.

This is a very talented group with some new faces and some who have proven they can make plays. Now they have a QB that will be more accurate and hopefully make better decisions.

You guys really think that our WRs are going to be the second worst position group on the team?

Pierson El = Has proven he can be a play maker at return man, should be as healthy as he has been since his first injury Should show good things at WR

Lindsey = stud out of HS. I expect him to have at least as good of freshman year as Morgan did.

McQuitty = If needed, he could step in and have a decent Freshman year. Coming out of HS, he was rated higher than Morgan.

This is a very talented group with some new faces and some who have proven they can make plays. Now they have a QB that will be more accurate and hopefully make better decisions.

I think Morgan is legit if he can keep his nose clean. DPE hasn't shown to be a big threat at receiver but is hopefully healthy. Reimers is solid but not spectatular. No one else has done anything.

I think Morgan, DPE and Lindsey would be a good trio but there's a lot of question marks in this group. A lot.

There shouldn't be a big drop off of talent. Production wise, it remains to be seen. I'm all for DPE having a good year, but being honest here, he hasn't done much the past few seasons. And I'm a big DPE fan chuckleshuffle

The other thing is that when the defense takes away your 1 and 2 guys on various plays in a game, where are you going with the ball? Maybe Hoppes will be that guy, and probably the rbs. :dunno

We have such a good coach at the position, and with this talent, I have a lot of hope that they will do well. Actually, I'm going to own it. I trust that they will be fine.