McKewon: Preseason guides not high on Huskers, provide lots of fiery fodder for fans

A coach of what school would care what Nebraska's administration thinks of this job?

That job is a lot worse than it was a few years ago, and no one in the administration seems to recognize it, said one anonymous coach to Athlon.

The smart money is on Iowa, who is still butthurt over Eichorst's explanation of Pelini's firing. "In the final analysis, I had to evaluate where Iowa was."
Iowa beat us 42-10 last year, and they have won the last two. If there ever was any "butthurt," I am guessing they are over it. Let's just focus on taking another step forward this year. We haven't finished in the top 10 since 2001 - that is 16 long years.
you must not know their fanbase very well
  • Fire 3

A coach of what school would care what Nebraska's administration thinks of this job?

“That job is a lot worse than it was a few years ago, and no one in the administration seems to recognize it,” said one anonymous coach to Athlon.

The smart money is on Iowa, who is still butthurt over Eichorst's explanation of Pelini's firing. "In the final analysis, I had to evaluate where Iowa was."

Iowa beat us 42-10 last year, and they have won the last two. If there ever was any "butthurt," I am guessing they are over it. Let's just focus on taking another step forward this year. We haven't finished in the top 10 since 2001 - that is 16 long years.

Nebraska has beaten Penn State every time we've played since we joined the Big Ten. We iced them out of a share of the National Championship in 1994.

We are still butthurt about that out of bounds catch in 1982. Nebraska Fan won't be over that until two more generations die.

It's not likely that Iowa Coach/Iowa Fan has forgotten about Eichorst's analysis in far less time than that.

Sometimes Tommy Armstrong was a miracle worker. Sometimes he.....wasn't. Because the potential was always there and every fresh season meant his decision making could have matured, it totally made sense to ride Tommy out.

Unless a crazy talented QB was being unfairly benched in Tommy's favor. That wasn't the case.

Tommy Armstrong is the career Total Offense leader in the long, rich history of Nebraska football. And we might be better off without him. That's the piece the preseason pundits might be missing.

It's a funny business.

Very well put, I am happy to have had TA as the QB for the last 4 years. Tommy was a gamer, he just wasn't for lack of a better word a winner. He couldn't put a team on his back and will it to victory in a close game. I hoped it would have worked out better. I am also happy his time is done.

I am very excited about our new QB's and the upcoming season. I don't know if Tanner Lee is a "winner" or not. There are tons of QB's that put up crazy numbers that aren't winners,Tony Romo, Jay Cutler, Warren Moon come to mind in the NFL. I hope Tanner Lee is more like Brady or Elway.

“That job is a lot worse than it was a few years ago, and no one in the administration seems to recognize it,” said one anonymous coach to Athlon.

A couple victories over mediocre Nebraska teams what cure their "butthurt".... They're butthurt, because they could beat us 5 more straight times and we'd still think we are better than them....... Which we are.

Nebraska has beaten Penn State every time we've played since we joined the Big Ten. We iced them out of a share of the National Championship in 1994.

We are still butthurt about that out of bounds catch in 1982. Nebraska Fan won't be over that until two more generations die.

It's not likely that Iowa Coach/Iowa Fan has forgotten about Eichorst's analysis in far less time than that.

You are correct sir. The "L" shaped end zone....I still have a hard time watching Todd Blackledge as a talking head...But that's just me. The phantom block in the back still makes me loathe all things FSU.......

Sometimes Tommy Armstrong was a miracle worker. Sometimes he.....wasn't. Because the potential was always there and every fresh season meant his decision making could have matured, it totally made sense to ride Tommy out.

Unless a crazy talented QB was being unfairly benched in Tommy's favor. That wasn't the case.

Tommy Armstrong is the career Total Offense leader in the long, rich history of Nebraska football. And we might be better off without him. That's the piece the preseason pundits might be missing.

It's a funny business.

Very well put, I am happy to have had TA as the QB for the last 4 years. Tommy was a gamer, he just wasn't for lack of a better word a winner. He couldn't put a team on his back and will it to victory in a close game. I hoped it would have worked out better. I am also happy his time is done.

I am very excited about our new QB's and the upcoming season. I don't know if Tanner Lee is a "winner" or not. There are tons of QB's that put up crazy numbers that aren't winners,Tony Romo, Jay Cutler, Warren Moon come to mind in the NFL. I hope Tanner Lee is more like Brady or Elway.

All excellent points. It is going to be another exciting year, hopefully without many tears. I got the definate impression that Mike Riley was rather pleased and excited with the progress of the team after the spring game and he seemed quite confident that we will be putting a good team on the field this fall. Now, we've had a couple injuries this summer (it is a head scratcher sometimes how guys get serious injuries like that unless they are just not stretching and preparating themselves well withiout coach supervision?).

It really seems to me that there are plenty of reasons to believe this year's team should be every bit as good and maybe a tad better than last year. We won more than half so why not be somewhere around 9 or 10 wins?

I haven't been this excited for the start of a season since the 90's. I really believe we finally have the right pieces in place to make a serious run. Maybe I am drunk on the Kool-Aid, but getting a REAL QB behind center will make a world of difference in how our "O" functions. As for the "D", Coach D has a lot to prove to everyone, due to his firing, and i am sure his guys know it and they will do all they can to show he is a top "D" mind in the game. The talent in our "D" is in the LB crew and DB crew. If we can get pressure on the opposing QB, our "D" will be lights out.