2 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Yeah, there must be a glitch in there.  When I selected Status Updates I was still getting other stuff as well.  However, when I click the switch for Expanded/Condenced or simply selected Status Updates then refreshed the page, it seemed to work.

If I refresh the page after applying the Status Updates, then it works. That's a good work-around, thanks.

We used to be able to go back through old Status Updates that have fallen off the front page.  Am I missing where that's available now? 

Just now, knapplc said:

We used to be able to go back through old Status Updates that have fallen off the front page.  Am I missing where that's available now? 

The way I'm describing will allow you to see all the status updates

50 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

The way I'm describing will allow you to see all the status updates

It just seems like so much work...

This thing where we have both '+1' and 'upvote' (denoted by a slightly different +1 icon) is really goofy.

• Plus1 1

I no longer get notices when someone quotes or mentions me in the Shed. I get them for quotes or mentions in Status Updates and non-Shed threads. 

7 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I no longer get notices when someone quotes or mentions me in the Shed. I get them for quotes or mentions in Status Updates and non-Shed threads. 

Mine has been that way for a while as well

I also just noticed (at least on a desktop) that if you highlight part of post, it gives you the option to quote just that selection which is pretty neat

193457472_quoteselection.jpg.6e0ac75db83b428430572bd7ae350795.jpg

• Plus1 1

14 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I don't see any Forum-specific settings on this.  Did they actually quote you in the Shed or are those the posts that got moved there?

16 minutes ago, GSG said:

I also just noticed (at least on a desktop) that if you highlight part of post, it gives you the option to quote just that selection which is pretty neat

It's done that since the board upgrade last year.

10 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I don't see any Forum-specific settings on this.  Did they actually quote you in the Shed or are those the posts that got moved there?

I'm referring to quotes on posts made in the Shed. For example, I didn't get a notification on this post by Enhance in the DBHOF thread

7 minutes ago, knapplc said:

It's done that since the board upgrade last year.

Weird. Mine just started doing it in the last 24 hours.

But I haven't had a notification of any kind from the Shed since last year :blink:

I did find this message below the setting that requires a password for the Shed:

When enabled, users who have permission to access the forum will need to provide the password. Users who do not have permission to access the forum will not be prompted for the password. The password applies only to this forum, if this forum has subforums, the password will not be required for them.
Topics posted in a password protected forum will not show in any sidebar, header or footer blocks, and notifications for new topics and posts will not be sent.

I don't know if this has changed since a previous version but it sounds like it might have.  I don't see a way to over-ride this.  It appears to be the (new?) built-in setting.

2 minutes ago, Mavric said:

It appears to be the (new?) built-in setting

That's the way of the internet the past ten years. There are a lot of changes to a lot of sites, software and stuff, some of them good but some of them inexplicably dumb.

I usually use Firefox and it's less useful today after multiple upgrades than it was five years ago. Same with my computer's OS, same with the forum software of several sites I use.

The internet was a better, more useful thing before. It's getting worse, not better.

My front page looks like this. Why no images?

It looks fine on my phone. Is this an image block or firewall issue on my computer?

hb.PNG

4 minutes ago, C N Red said:

My front page looks like this. Why no images?

It looks fine on my phone. Is this an image block or firewall issue on my computer?

All the graphics that are missing are ones that I have hosted on Imgur.  It would appear that site is blocked for you.

One thing that's really annoying is that I have to re-enter the shed password every two weeks or so.

Also I haven't changed my signature in like 5 years and I'm too embarrassed to admit that I don't know how. 

12 minutes ago, Landlord said:

Also I haven't changed my signature in like 5 years and I'm too embarrassed to admit that I don't know how.  

1 - Click on your username in the upper right corner of any page.

2 - Select Account Settings.

3 - Select Signature.

4 - Profit

• Plus1 1

5 minutes ago, knapplc said:

1 - Click on your username in the upper right corner of any page.

2 - Select Account Settings.

3 - Select Signature.

4 - Profit

Lazy millennials! Can't do anything for themselves!! :D

On 9/12/2018 at 11:44 AM, Mavric said:

All the graphics that are missing are ones that I have hosted on Imgur.

That's against Imgur's Terms of Service, BTW: "Also, don't use Imgur to host image libraries you link to from elsewhere, content for your website, advertising, avatars, or anything else that turns us into your content delivery network."

On 9/15/2018 at 1:31 AM, Toe said:

"Also, don't use Imgur to host image libraries you link to from elsewhere, content for your website, advertising, avatars, or anything else that turns us into your content delivery network."

Nearly every graphic I post on HuskerBoard is hosted on Imgur. If that's their policy, I'm violating it, too.

@knapplc I'm pretty sure it's more the site itself that they're concerned with, not user content. They provide BBCode for their images, after all. I think it's more like if the forum had a feature to upload images straight to Imgur solely for display on this site, that would be against their rules.

On 9/15/2018 at 1:31 AM, Toe said:

That's against Imgur's Terms of Service, BTW: "Also, don't use Imgur to host image libraries you link to from elsewhere, content for your website, advertising, avatars, or anything else that turns us into your content delivery network."

So what you're saying is @Mavric is *gasp* a maverick?

• Haha 1

I posted this in another thread, but I think it's worth copying here:

23 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I’m starting to think my request for rolleyes was a bad idea. I have used it occasionally but it’s being used for confusing reasons. E.g. @StPaulHusker replied “fair enough” to me and got a rolleyes for it.

That's why I keep saying that forums like this are better off with just a +1 button and no others. It's also simpler, I mean, we've got separate buttons for +1, upvote, thank you, and haha. But if you think about it, a single +1 or like button is enough to cover all four of those - it just says 'I liked that'. Keep it simple, stupid. Meanwhile, what good does having negative reactions like an eyeroll do, really? To me, it's little more than a passive-aggressive source of tension and drama - it's not like we need more of that. Plus it also leads to 'what did I do to deserve that?' moments like the case you mentioned.

21 hours ago, Toe said:

That's why I keep saying that forums like this are better off with just a +1 button and no others. It's also simpler, I mean, we've got separate buttons for +1, upvote, thank you, and haha. But if you think about it, a single +1 or like button is enough to cover all four of those - it just says 'I liked that'. Keep it simple, stupid. Meanwhile, what good does having negative reactions like an eyeroll do, really? To me, it's little more than a passive-aggressive source of tension and drama - it's not like we need more of that. Plus it also leads to 'what did I do to deserve that?' moments like the case you mentioned.

Maybe just make the reactions no longer anonymous - then you'll know who reacted how and it keeps the simplicity of me just giving a quick reaction instead of a one or two word post in response.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, RedDenver said:

Maybe just make the reactions no longer anonymous - then you'll know who reacted how and it keeps the simplicity of me just giving a quick reaction instead of a one or two word post in response. 

That just gave a few posters heart palpitations. 

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, RedDenver said:

I like this idea.

• Thanks 1

A post that gets all of the reactions should get the Popular Post tag even if it doesn't have ten rep.

On 10/1/2018 at 4:36 PM, Toe said:

I hate it. just go back to +1

• Plus1 2
  • Eyeroll 1