2017-2018 Season Notes

20 minutes ago, HS_Coach_C said:

But apparently can't rebound...:dunno

If they used the same effort they used to jump as they do to rebound we would have been a good rebounding team. All it takes is to hit somebody and watch the ball bounce and grab it. Instead, we just sit around and watch like we assume it's going in or something.

Also, something I have been wondering about is what happened to Thomas Allen? He goes off against Kansas because he had something to prove against them and then disappears. Hopefully, next year he has that green light to get going because inconsistent minutes cost him in my opinion.

Edited by HuskermanMike
18 hours ago, HuskermanMike said:

If they used the same effort they used to jump as they do to rebound we would have been a good rebounding team. All it takes is to hit somebody and watch the ball bounce and grab it. Instead, we just sit around and watch like we assume it's going in or something.

Also, something I have been wondering about is what happened to Thomas Allen? He goes off against Kansas because he had something to prove against them and then disappears. Hopefully, next year he has that green light to get going because inconsistent minutes cost him in my opinion.

Exactly. They need to add a rebound machine. The amount of offensive rebounds they give up makes me sick. Go find some 6'7 dude who loves to get in the mix and can get good position for boards.

6 minutes ago, GSG said:

ARE YOU SURE YOU'RE NOT THINKING OF THE PRESIDENT?! ;)

Him too...

Rodman wants Trump to send him back to North Korea

“If I can go back over there … you’ll see me talking to him, and sitting down and having dinner, a glass of wine, laughing and doing my thing,” Rodman said Monday of North Korean leader Kim Jong Un to the Guardian. “I guess things will settle down a bit and everybody can rest at ease.”

Edited by HS_Coach_C
  • Plus1 1

Corn Nation Article

Here’s some other things to ponder with this team. To win and be good in any sport you need to excel in areas of game. Upper half or even upper quarter is where you want to be. Most teams in the tournament and especially those who are excelling do just that.

Nebraska this year wasn’t ranking that high. Here’s a breakdown of where they were in the conference. I am going to just pick a few that have stood out to me.

Scoring offense - 10th

Scoring defense - 10th

Scoring margin - 7th

Field goal percentage - 12th

3 point field goal percentage - 9th

Defensive rebounding - 13th

Rebounding margin - 14th

Assists - 12th

Blocked shots - 2nd

I threw the last one in there to keep you all from getting depressed. These are the stats from a team that finished 4th in the conference, did not get an NCAA Tournament bid, and got the short end of the stick in the NIT. How they even made it to 4th in the conference bewilders me looking at these numbers.

I have come to the conclusion that while this team did do well a lot of it was at the cost of a lot of other teams doing poorly. The Big Ten was down and the Huskers took advantage. It was a fun season and we all enjoyed it. However, those powers that be looked at it a little differently that most of us did. They saw the cracks and the water dripping in around the corners.

They knew that the wins were high but the quality of those games were low. That followed by a blowout to Michigan in the Big Ten Tournament sealed the deal with Nebraska’s post season. The lackluster performance against Mississippi State justified it.

Some additional ranks:

FT percentage - 7th

Assists per game - 12th

Assist/TO ratio - 7th

Steals per game - 6th

• Plus1 1

So essentially what you're saying is the people who understand the game of basketball and watched the team all year long without seeing real improvement were correct in their criticisms of the team's performance? And the people who hopped on the bandwagon after 20 wins who bashed the people that watched the games all year long for their criticisms don't actually know what they're talking about? 

I'm shocked. Shocked I tell you. 

• Plus1 2
12 hours ago, seaofred92 said:

So essentially what you're saying is the people who understand the game of basketball and watched the team all year long without seeing real improvement were correct in their criticisms of the team's performance? And the people who hopped on the bandwagon after 20 wins who bashed the people that watched the games all year long for their criticisms don't actually know what they're talking about? 

I watched the team all year (I have season tickets).  I did see improvement. Were they NCAA worthy?  Probably not, but that doesn't mean there wasn't improvement as the season went along. 

Their biggest problem was consistency.  At times they looked like they were a Sweet 16 team, at times they looked like they could lose to you, me and three guys we picked up at the YMCA.  That's how they crushed Michigan and a full strength Minnesota at home, played even with OSU & Creighton for the first 35 minutes and Purdue for the last 35 minutes on the road but lost at Illinois and got crushed at MSU and by Michigan in NYC.  When they played quickly and moved the ball they looked good, when they became stagnant they looked terrible.

Next year I'd rather see 4-5 guys average 10-14 points than have 1 guy average 20-22 & everyone else 8-10.  When they have a dominant scorer the rest of the team tends to stand around and watch him instead of running any offense.  That's why there is so much criticism on this board about the team not having an offensive identity.  Miles wants them to run a motion offense, but that only works if the players actually move instead of watching the "star".

• Plus1 1
12 hours ago, seaofred92 said:

I think they looked fine.  They did a good job and had a nice season.  If the Big Ten had been tougher they probably end up with only 19 wins but they probably also end up in the dance.

• Plus1 1