Trump Domestic Policy - Budgets, etc

So....just to review. 

1). Trump takes us out of trade deals and ruins Ag markets. 

2). Trump administration doesn’t allow government agency to report negative affects of policies. 

3). Trump pays Farmers billions of dollars to keep them happy. 

I was having a few beers last night with some farmers. Their tone had changed somewhat about Trump. 

• Plus1 3

9 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I was having a few a few beers last night with some farmers. Their tone had changed somewhat about Trump. 

That’s good to hear. 

Details: Lingling Wei and Bob Davis of the Wall Street Journal report that Beijing was emboldened by the perception that the U.S. was ready to compromise because of Trump's lobbying for rate cuts by the Federal Reserve, a sign the U.S. economy is weak and in need of stimulus.

Not sure why China thought Trump worked this way. I’m guessing his obsession with lowering the rates isn’t based on anything that’s actually happening other than in his own head.

13 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

So....just to review. 

1). Trump takes us out of trade deals and ruins Ag markets. 

2). Trump administration doesn’t allow government agency to report negative affects of policies. 

3). Trump pays Farmers billions of dollars to keep them happy. 

I was having a few a few beers last night with some farmers. Their tone had changed somewhat about Trump. 

Interesting. How so? Usually what you see when it's reported on are a lot of the "Aww shucks, this trade war is killing us, but he says it's going to make things better, and he's still our guy, so..." types.

55 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

Interesting. How so? Usually what you see when it's reported on are a lot of the "Aww shucks, this trade war is killing us, but he says it's going to make things better, and he's still our guy, so..." types.

Well, first I will admit, this is an extremely small group.  It consisted of a few farmers.  But, it also consisted of a stock broker and a commodities trader.  I basically just sat and listened for a while and let them have their conversation.  

The farmers and the commodities trader were talking and were rather pissed about the trade wars and Trump's twitter account.  Now, I remember last fall the commodities trader poo pooed the trade wars and bad commodity prices by claiming that Trump had a deal with Mexico and Canada.  Well....we all know that hasn't come to fruition.  The farmers are busy planting and seeing the commodities prices dropping every day.  Yesterday was a particular bad day and they weren't happy.  

The stock broker tried claiming that he's really happy how things have gone since Trump was elected.  Then, I asked him how he felt about the last 15 months.  A farmer then piped in and said he made a lot more money while Obama was President.  The broker didn't say much more.

It really was an interesting conversation to listen to knowing where most of these guys probably were politically a year ago.

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Ummm...no.  They are just trying to figure out how they aren't going to go bankrupt or lose their operating loans.

But when people go bankrupt from medical bills farmers will be the first ones to stand up against universal healthcare.

What an arrogant :zoom

Donald J. TrumpVerified account @realDonaldTrump

Your all time favorite President got tired of waiting for China to help out and start buying from our FARMERS, the greatest anywhere in the World!

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-now-says-he-is-your-favorite-all-time-president-as-new-china-tariffs-take-hold-190707331.html

Modesty has never been Donald Trump’s strong suit. On Friday, for instance, the president upgraded his assessment of himself the same day that he hiked tariffs on $200 billion worth of Chinese goods, a move that is likely to hurt American consumers and farmers, at least in the short run.  Economists have sought to counter Trump’s oft-repeated claim that his trade war with the Chinese benefits the U.S. economy, noting that tariffs are essentially a tax that will raise the price of consumer goods.

For the world’s “greatest” farmers, news of a prolonged trade war is not good news. China’s retaliatory tariffs on U.S. soybeans have sent farm bankruptcies soaring and soybean commodities futures plummeting.

But why argue numbers? The real story is that Trump has seen fit to give himself a promotion, after months of being content to simply call himself “your favorite President,” as a brief retrospective of his history of self-regard shows.

28 minutes ago, knapplc said:

"Trade wars are easy to win."

- Donald Trump

It is amateur hour at the White House.     Trump the 'greatest president in American history in his opinion,  who probably never read a history book in his life,  seems set to repeat the

disaster of the Hoover admin almost 100 years later.  Raise tariffs and countries will react in kind.  China is doing so.   Maybe Putin is pulling the strings to cause our demise by the idiotic things Trump is doing.   Trump is single handling sabotaging 'the greatest economy in the history of our country'.   The guy should be removed from office for incompetency. 

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/05/13/china-is-raising-tariffs-on-60-billion-of-us-goods-starting-june-1.html

https://www.forexlive.com/news/!/china-says-to-raise-tariffs-on-some-us-goods-from-june-1-20190513

China hits back

China to raise tariffs on US goods.

They plan to set import tariffs on $60 billion worth of US goods. The tariffs will range from 5%-25%.

Reports also say China may stop purchasing US agricultural products and energy, cut Boeing orders and restrict US service trade with China. The Global Times reports that Chinese scholars are discussing the possibility of dumping US Treasuries and how to do it specifically.
Hu Xijin
Headlines are just crossing but the Australian and Canadian dollars are down to session lows. US stock futures are falling, with S&Ps down nearly 50 points.

This is starting to look dire. Trump is dead-set on tariffs and China has decided it can take the pain
30 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

It is amateur hour at the White House.     Trump the 'greatest president in American history in his opinion,  who probably never read a history book in his life,  seems set to repeat the

disaster of the Hoover admin almost 100 years later.  Raise tariffs and countries will react in kind.  China is doing so.   Maybe Putin is pulling the strings to cause our demise by the idiotic things Trump is doing.   Trump is single handling sabotaging 'the greatest economy in the history of our country'.   The guy should be removed from office for incompetency. 

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/05/13/china-is-raising-tariffs-on-60-billion-of-us-goods-starting-june-1.html

https://www.forexlive.com/news/!/china-says-to-raise-tariffs-on-some-us-goods-from-june-1-20190513

China hits back

China to raise tariffs on US goods.

They plan to set import tariffs on $60 billion worth of US goods. The tariffs will range from 5%-25%.

Reports also say China may stop purchasing US agricultural products and energy, cut Boeing orders and restrict US service trade with China. The Global Times reports that Chinese scholars are discussing the possibility of dumping US Treasuries and how to do it specifically.
Hu Xijin
Headlines are just crossing but the Australian and Canadian dollars are down to session lows. US stock futures are falling, with S&Ps down nearly 50 points.

This is starting to look dire. Trump is dead-set on tariffs and China has decided it can take the pain

And its funny because his supporters just eat it up. I had some guy talk at me for 15 minutes the other day about how the stupid liberals just don't get it. 'Trump finally has us respected on a world stage, how dare he. Trump has the economy booming? How dare he? But the liberals just don't understand' 

He tries to make himself out to be a political expert but when I hear him spout the exact same stuff we hear from every other Trump supporter verbatim, I just can't help but think how foolish he looks. 

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, Nebfanatic said:

And its funny because his supporters just eat it up. I had some guy talk at me for 15 minutes the other day about how the stupid liberals just don't get it. 'Trump finally has us respected on a world stage, how dare he. Trump has the economy booming? How dare he? But the liberals just don't understand' 

He tries to make himself out to be a political expert but when I hear him spout the exact same stuff we hear from every other Trump supporter verbatim, I just can't help but think how foolish he looks. 

Trump billed himself as the great negotiator when he is only hot, smelly air and no substance.  The Chinese called his bluff and he got outed as a fake. But some of us already knew that before 2016.   With Trump bodacious tweets trying to humiliate China back to the table, Trump shows he has zero understanding of culture.  Now that China has retaliated,  we could be in for a long downward spiral as Trump arrogantly digs in his heals.   He placed the Chinese in a difficult position and now he places our businesses and consumers in a worsening situation.  Trump says China pays - no every American pays.  Our economies are too interconnected that if we hurt China we'll hurt ourselves.  Even Larry Kudlow agrees with that. The Dms should take that message to every midwest farm community and every rust belt community.     Great economy  - we hardly knew you. 

https://www.axios.com/us-china-trade-war-chinese-newspapers-reaction-9beec3df-f91b-4ff0-9499-021a55494a44.html

Axios reader Kevin Rudd, the former Australian prime minister, sends this dispatch on the trade war, from Beijing: "This morning’s papers ... are quite hardline." Rudd calls the latest Chinese stipulations "a reasonably firm 'screw you.'"

Between the lines, from Sinocism's Bill Bishop: The Chinese are digging in, with official media over the weekend making it clear what China won’t agree to."

• "Now that that's been done officially, it'll be hard for Chinese officials to walk back, even if they wanted to."

P.S. ... Larry Kudlow, Trump's economic adviser, asked by Chris Wallace on "Fox News Sunday" if it's U.S. businesses and consumers who pay tariffs on China:

• "Yes, I don't disagree with that. Again, both sides will suffer on this."
  • Why it matters: Trump insisted in a tweet, incorrectly, that China pays.

•  

Of course it's going to be easier for a centrally-run economy to weather a trade war than a free-market one. China simply has more levers to pull to affect their economy than we do.

The question now becomes how long this last and how bad it gets. Will farmers and other groups of people hurt by this tough it out and vote for Trump again next year?

I saw a farmer today on the news who said "You know, I think Trump was trying to do the right thing, but it's getting to the point..." and he trailed off. That is encouraging.