Trump Domestic Policy - Budgets, etc

2 hours ago, Moiraine said:

Uh, WRONG.

Higher taxes don’t cut it anymore? What higher taxes is he even talking about?

It’s illogical to suggest that more revenue isn’t a huge factor in reducing debt. 

For me, it's all a matter of scale.  

I wasn't for the Trump tax cuts because the tax rates weren't that out of line.  Now, some people think we need to raise taxes a lot on some people.  I've seen it argued to even raise it to something like 80-90% on the highest tax bracket.  I'm NOT for that.  

There's a reasonable level of taxation that pays the bills and still isn't so high that I would think it's unethical.

Then, we ALWAYS need to be analyzing what we are spending the money on and make sure a) we should be spending money on it....and b) we are doing it as efficiently as possible.

Where he is CORRECT is, "fiscal responsibility has gone out the window".

• Thanks 1

:yeahYou don't cut taxes when you are trying to fight 2 wars (GWB) and you don't do it when the economy isn't calling for it and when the rates are reasonable (Trump)  Then you face the law of diminished returns.  It worked under Reagan because the rates were very hight when he took office.  The GOP mantra however since then is that you must run every political campaign around tax cuts.  Tax cuts are the litmus test of being a conservative.  No it isn't.  Being fiscally responsible should be the litmus test of a conservative.  That is why I think we have very few true conservatives in Congress.  The GOP has been a spending machine (along wt the Dems) while also doing the fiscally irresponsible thing of cutting taxes.  It is ok to raise taxes and still be a conservative.  Sometimes we have to do so to be fiscally responsible.  We aren't going to pay off the debt or reduce deficits with tax cuts.  We need to cut spending and most likely raise taxes in order to curb these budget deficits much less reduce the overall debt.  

1 hour ago, TGHusker said:

:yeahYou don't cut taxes when you are trying to fight 2 wars (GWB) and you don't do it when the economy isn't calling for it and when the rates are reasonable (Trump)  Then you face the law of diminished returns.  It worked under Reagan because the rates were very hight when he took office.  The GOP mantra however since then is that you must run every political campaign around tax cuts.  Tax cuts are the litmus test of being a conservative.  No it isn't.  Being fiscally responsible should be the litmus test of a conservative.  That is why I think we have very few true conservatives in Congress.  The GOP has been a spending machine (along wt the Dems) while also doing the fiscally irresponsible thing of cutting taxes.  It is ok to raise taxes and still be a conservative.  Sometimes we have to do so to be fiscally responsible.  We aren't going to pay off the debt or reduce deficits with tax cuts.  We need to cut spending and most likely raise taxes in order to curb these budget deficits much less reduce the overall debt.  

Clinton had a deficit surplus during his presidency and Obama cut the deficit in half from Bush’s trillion dollar deficit...

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, Frott Scost said:

Clinton had a deficit surplus during his presidency and Obama cut the deficit in half from Bush’s trillion dollar deficit...

The overarching problem is how craven and power-hungry most fiscally conservative politicians are.

They understand that a large chunk of their core constituency wants to hear a fiscally conservative message but won't penalize them for not following through on it. So there's no impetus to actually put it into practice.

21 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

The overarching problem is how craven and power-hungry most fiscally conservative politicians are.

They understand that a large chunk of their core constituency wants to hear a fiscally conservative message but won't penalize them for not following through on it. So there's no impetus to actually put it into practice.

The republicans haven't had a balanced budget since Dwight Eisenhower.  When the hell will people wake up to their lies...

• Plus1 5
5 hours ago, TGHusker said:

It didn't even work under Reagan since Reagan raised taxes in his second term.

• Plus1 1

On 7/26/2019 at 8:14 PM, RedDenver said:

It didn't even work under Reagan since Reagan raised taxes in his second term.

Those were more target tax increases and they were not raised to the level that they were previously cut.

Just read an article in WSJ (sorry, can't link it here) about the trucking industry.  It claims the industry has dropped way off this year and it's in large part to "weather, tepid industrial growth and trade tensions".

This falls in line with what we feel in our industry.  

For the last year, we have heard all about this great booming economy......naaa....not seeing it.