What did we learn-Game 2 Oregon

JJ Husker

One more thing after watching all of our offensive plays again in the second half.  There were a few plays where there was a break down.  But, in general, our O line played pretty well....in that half.

There was one play in particular where they had it blocked very well and Bryant didn't read and hit the hole.  It would have gone for at least 3-4 yards (possibly more) but it ended up being a loss of a yard or two.

35 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I believe you would find that those shorter gains were bubble screen passes that were going for big gains in the first half.  They weren't being effective in the second.

I don't think they got 400 yards worth of bubble screens in the first half.

Perhaps they were getting 10-12 yards in the first half and we were "holding" them to 6-7 in the second half.  That's a modest improvement.  I would hope after how many we've seen in the last two weeks that we would be getting a little better at them.

But those are still fairly safe throws.  Not throwing the ball down the field like they were in the first half.

I never said they got 400 yards on bubble screens.  They were throwing quite a few bubble screens and getting good yardage off of them.  They were also throwing the ball down field and being very successful at it.

Now....I was able to see two of the incomplete passes in the second half.  One was for 23 yards and the other was 29 yards.  I wasn't able to see the other two because the video didn't have that drive.  I'm guessing they were probably down the field also.

So....if those other two incomplete passes were down field, they were 1 for 5 on down field passes.  Thats one hell of a lot less production from those plays than they saw in the first half.  Those were all (for the most part) in the third quarter when they had only become slightly more conservative.

Then...in the fourth, they decided to go completely conservative when their passing game wasn't being successful.

I think we have learned that:

Tanner doesn't handle pressure well (players at his feet and in his face)

Our WR's need to work on getting open

Our D doesn't know the scheme well enough to play fast

Our DC needs to get more comfortable with a nickle or dime package and maybe the personnel that goes along with it.

Knevel may get Wally Pipped by Farniok (credit Matt Vrzal for that one)

We going to have to trust some people to play them more (Oz, Wilbon, Bradley, dudes in the secondary)

Our youth needs to grow up fast!

How to weather a storm, if that 1st quarter crap happens again!

12 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I never said they got 400 yards on bubble screens.  They were throwing quite a few bubble screens and getting good yardage off of them.  They were also throwing the ball down field and being very successful at it.

Now....I was able to see two of the incomplete passes in the second half.  One was for 23 yards and the other was 29 yards.  I wasn't able to see the other two because the video didn't have that drive.  I'm guessing they were probably down the field also.

So....if those other two incomplete passes were down field, they were 1 for 5 on down field passes.  Thats one hell of a lot less production from those plays than they saw in the first half.  Those were all (for the most part) in the third quarter when they had only become slightly more conservative.

Then...in the fourth, they decided to go completely conservative when their passing game wasn't being successful.

I think the discussion would be better if you didn't take everything so literally.

I know you didn't say there were 400 yards on bubble screens.  My point was I don't think they got a large percentage of their yards off them.

So we know there were 4 downfield shots in the second half.  There may have been a couple more.  That's a noticeable decrease from the first half, isn't it?

• Plus1 5
57 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I think the discussion would be better if you didn't take everything so literally.

I know you didn't say there were 400 yards on bubble screens.

Ummmm.....I was responding to this.

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

I don't think they got 400 yards worth of bubble screens in the first half.

And....I responded with.....

I never said they got 400 yards on bubble screens.

How did I take that more literally than it was meant to be?  Looks to me like you were overly hyperbolic and I pointed that out.  If you want to help out the discussion....don't use so much hyperbole.

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, Mavric said:

So we know there were 4 downfield shots in the second half.  There may have been a couple more.  That's a noticeable decrease from the first half, isn't it?

In the 3rd quarter (plus first drive of 4th) they threw the ball slightly less than they did in the first half.  

Of those 8 throws, possibly 4 of those were down the field. (50%).

I already said they were a little more conservative in the third quarter accounting for the slight drop in run/pass ratio.  FYI...if they would have passed one more time in the third quarter, it would be the same run/pass ratio as the first half.

What was the percentage of the passes that were down the field in the first half?

Several things,

Tanner Lee stuggles under pressure, two of the 4 INT's were not his fault, however there were several more potential INTs that OR dropped so...

OR took their foot off the gas in the second half.  how many passes did they attempt in second half compared to first half?

Mike Riley and his OC cannot manage the game clock.. less then 1 minute to go in first half and we had to punt??  three pass attempts..

Never thought I would say this... Kevin Cozgroves defenses were way better then Diaco's (at this point). 

We still have the nicest 500 career coach in College football. 

we will be lucky to win 7 games this year if the defense doesn't want to show up. (most likely losing to Ohio State, Wisky, Penn State, Iowa)  Purdue is looking better, so maybe we make it to 500??  (Sarcasm off).

3 hours ago, Mavric said:

They also ran a lot more plays in the 1st half, so you'd want to go by percentage:

1st Quarter: Oregon had 9 rushes and 12 passes (57% passes)

2nd: 11 rush, 13 pass (54%)

3rd: 8 rush, 7 pass (47%)

4th: 16 rush, 1 pass (6%)

So 3rd quarter was slightly less than the first half, but the 4th quarter they were clearly try to milk the clock and not throw.

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, RedDenver said:

They also ran a lot more plays in the 1st half, so you'd want to go by percentage:

So 3rd quarter was slightly less than the first half, but the 4th quarter they were clearly try to milk the clock and not throw.

so, 25 pass attempts in first half, then 8 in second half.  yep! the ducks coasted in the second half.  nearly bit them in the butt but they were coasting..

55 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Oregon lost a 31-0 halftime lead to TCU in the 2016 Alamo bowl.  They can thank their lucky stars Saturday's game was at home and not a neutral or away sight otherwise it's a repeat performance. 

When you see a pattern of high and low, makes you wonder what they might be on.

1st Quarter

9 carries for 54 yards; 6.0 ypc

10/12 passing, 83.3%, 138 yards, 11.5 ypa

57.1% passing plays

Passes by yards thrown downfield:

< 5 yards downfield: 5-5, 100.0%, 27 yards - 41.7% of throws

5-15 yards downfield: 2-3, 66.7%, 29 yards - 25.0% 

16+ yards downfield: 3-4, 75.0%, 82 yards, 2 TDs - 33.3%

2nd Quarter

11 carries for 42 yards; 3.8 ypc

11/13 passing, 84.6%, 175 yards, 13.5 ypa

54.2% passing plays

< 5 yards downfield: 6-6, 100.0%, 32 yards - 46.2% of throws

5-15 yards downfield: 1-1, xxx%, 21 yards - 7.7%

16+ yards downfield: 4-6, xxx%, 122 yards, 1 TD - 46.2%   *also threw deep when PI called on Lamar Jackson, not an official play

3rd Quarter

8 carries for 51 yards; 6.4 ypc

4/7 passing, 57.1%, 52 yards, 6.5 ypa

46.7% passing plays

< 5 yards downfield: 3-4, 75.0%, 14 yards - 57.1% of throws

5-15 yards downfield: 1-1, 100.0%, 38 yards - 14.3%

16+ yards downfield: 0-2, 0.0%, 0 yards, 1 INT - 28.6%

4th Quarter

16 carries for 54 yards; 3.8 ypc

0-1 passing, 0.0%, 0 yards, 0.0 ypa

5.9% passing plays