Husker Chalk Talk - Concept Wednesday: Slant/Bubble RPO

Cdog923

slant-bubble-pop.gif?w=640

This is one thing that drives me nuts sometimes:

Again, this is probably a situation where you’d like to see Lee hand the ball off.  7 blockers against a 7-man defensive box favors the offense, and yet Lee throws the ball outside.  Why?  My guess is he saw the safety sitting at 9 yards on the hashmark and expected him to come down hard on the run to even up the numbers.  Still, up two scores and with a light box, that should be an automatic handoff.

• Plus1 3
7 minutes ago, GSG5545 said:

slant-bubble-pop.gif?w=640

This is one thing that drives me nuts sometimes:

Yup. 2 High should almost always be a handoff in these situations. 

1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Is it surprising that Lee is passing more out of these RPO's?  He wants to sling it around, so if he's given the option, he's going to most likely choose the pass.

I don't know if it's that, or he's having trouble reading the D. The gif above, he sees the LB step up and wants the pop pass to Hoppes, which screws over the timing to Morgan when the LB doesn't blitz. 

3 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

I don't know if it's that, or he's having trouble reading the D. The gif above, he sees the LB step up and wants the pop pass to Hoppes, which screws over the timing to Morgan when the LB doesn't blitz. 

It seems like Lee likes to go with a lot of his pre-snap reads, and struggles when the D switches it up after the snap.  If I were a defensive coach, I would throw a lot of different things at him, to see how he responds.  I figured Leavitt would do a lot of different things, and Lee struggled against that type of defense.

• Plus1 1
13 hours ago, Cdog923 said:

I think you nailed it, CDog. It sure looks like Lee stares down the TE real quick, and when the LB bails out and covers, then he goes to Morgan as a 2nd option. The ball needs to get to Morgan instantly for this play to have great odds of moving the chains.....

• Plus1 1
7 hours ago, Jarhead In Red said:

I think you nailed it, CDog. It sure looks like Lee stares down the TE real quick, and when the LB bails out and covers, then he goes to Morgan as a 2nd option. The ball needs to get to Morgan instantly for this play to have great odds of moving the chains.....

Well, at least he didn't just let it rip to the TE and get it picked off.

1 minute ago, Jarhead In Red said:

True. Lee does get some credit for checking down to another option. Personally, I would like to see us get the ball to our RBs more often as a checkdown option, but Langsdorf isn't calling me for advice these days.....:D

Which is odd, because that was the flavor of the month back in the spring. Maybe it was just with POB and Gebbia, and Lee runs the Sam Keller play. 

Just now, Landlord said:

Does anyone remember the bubble int he second half where Lee did an entire hesitation pump fake before throwing it out to whoever it was who immediately got tackled for loss? That was by far the weirdest most wtf moment of the game.

Yeah, that was really odd.

Stanley was looking around like no one knew what they were supposed to be doing.  Not sure if it was supposed to be a fake bubble, throw deep type of thing or what that was.

6 minutes ago, Landlord said:

Does anyone remember the bubble int he second half where Lee did an entire hesitation pump fake before throwing it out to whoever it was who immediately got tackled for loss? That was by far the weirdest most wtf moment of the game.

It was a first quarter play, but no big deal on the details.

That was an odd play, and that worried me because it showed me that Lee was showing some nerves for the game.  I just don't think he was quite comfortable on the initial pass or he wasn't on the same page as Lindsey.

50 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

It was a first quarter play, but no big deal on the details.

That was an odd play, and that worried me because it showed me that Lee was showing some nerves for the game.  I just don't think he was quite comfortable on the initial pass or he wasn't on the same page as Lindsey.

I'm assuming this is it. Doesn't look like anyone was on the same page

ESjT7B.gif

• Plus1 2