No respectable head coaching candidate will accept a job with Nebraska now

13 minutes ago, Xmas32 said:

You're a little light homey.  Saban signed a deal that will pay him $65mm over 8 years plus incentive bonuses.  He also got a $4mm signing bonus and will make a little over $11mm this year.  Honestly you'd probably need to throw a $100mm deal at Saban for him to even take the phone call.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/sec/2017/05/02/nick-saban-alabama-contract-extension/101191514/

Was just comparing year to year.....

8 minutes ago, In the Deed the Glory said:

Nick Saban would not take the phone call, no matter what.  That is a really stupid thing to believe.

He wouldn't leave the Dolphins either.....

Why wouldn't he come here?  Guaranteed money.  Check.  Chance to win the MNC at a 3rd school?  Check.  Chance to solidify himself as the GOAT?  Check.  

People always say so and so would't come here.  What are your reasons?  Has he publicly said he won't leave?  Just wondering. If we continue to accept that only a mediocre coach will entertain coming here, we will be what we currently are...

3 minutes ago, Xmas32 said:

Well, with his new deal he's making $8.125 mm/yr with incentive bonuses.  As I said, you're a little light.

My bad.  My chart was form 2016. So offer him 9 million....If we truly want to win, throw the money.

3 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Actually, I think the Nebraska football coaching job is one of the best in the country and would be quite attractice to almost any coach.   In some ways, it is more attractive now than it was 20 years ago.  Taking over after Tom would have been the most challenging and high risk gamble for a top coach - period.   There were not many who would have taken that risk.

Today, Nebraska is a bottom feeder amongst the blue blood football tradition rich programs.   Once the expecations were sky high and now they are not.  The fans have 'wants' and they have expectations.  Those are not the same.  Frank Solich was NOT the man to carry on the Osborne legacy but I am not sure if there were more that 5 potential HCs who could have carried it on at the very highest levels that Tom had achieved in the late 90s.   In many way, Solich was 'stuck' with an almost impossible job and he failed as nearly everyone would have.   

Today, the program needs to be rebooted (not rebuilt) as we have the infrastructure in place with a nice stadium and all the other things.   The AD may have thought that somehow the wins would just magically happen as though just about any experienced coach with a friendly face and nice guy personality could win games regularly.  The talent level is low but the tank is not empty yet.  The resources are there to turn the program around.  It will take a decade to get us back to the top ten level (it can't be done in 2 or 3).   The program had fallen under Solich and Callahan, Pelini and now Riley were unable to bring it back.  Each of those coaches had some of the necessary characteristics we want but NONE had enough of them to get it done.  

I am very concerned about the Scott Frost discussion as I don't think we know enough about him.  I would hesitate to let Riley go to hire Frost as that is how concerned I would be with Frost.      

Agreed, and it won't take a decade.  Penn State suffered a fate far worse than any imaginable, and they were able to break the top ten within 4 years.  Get the right coach (and the right AD, IMHO), and we're in the hunt within 5 years or less.

6 hours ago, Wild Savage Beast said:

C'mon folks, the Program is now a full-blown dumpster-fire of a train-wreck.  From inept regents, administration, and AD to entitlement-minded fans and back-stabbing sports writers NOBODY worth his salt will touch this cancerous toad of a Program - doesn't matter what the salary is.  Heck, this Program was on life-support after Solich, Callahan, and then when Bo was wrongly fired and Riley took over...there was no margin for error with the Riley hire.

It's over, folks.

Why doesn't somebody call Trev Alberts and Scott Frost just to see if they have any interest? And check out the Option thread.......yes, The Option.

12 minutes ago, lo country said:

He wouldn't leave the Dolphins either.....

Why wouldn't he come here?  Guaranteed money.  Check.  Chance to win the MNC at a 3rd school?  Check.  Chance to solidify himself as the GOAT?  Check.  

People always say so and so would't come here.  What are your reasons?  Has he publicly said he won't leave?  Just wondering. If we continue to accept that only a mediocre coach will entertain coming here, we will be what we currently are...

My bad.  My chart was form 2016. So offer him 9 million....If we truly want to win, throw the money.

Why would he not leave Alabama to come to Nebraska?  I tell you what, tell me one reason he WOULD leave.  Oh, and don't say money, because Alabama would match and surpass any offer we could make.  

This is just asinine.

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, In the Deed the Glory said:

Why would he not leave Alabama to come to Nebraska?  I tell you what, tell me one reason he WOULD leave.  Oh, and don't say money, because Alabama would match and surpass any offer we could make.  

This is just asinine.

So my reason is money.....and your reason he wouldn't is money.........Of course the appeal to his ego......The chance to truly show he is the GOAT.......A new challenge......Simple things that drive a great coach......

We can just disagree.........

4 minutes ago, In the Deed the Glory said:

This is just asinine.

Not saying he would/wouldn't. I don't have any idea. 

But the guy guy has an ego. What more is there for him to accomplish at Alabama?  If he comes to a place like Nebraska and turns them around, he just solidifies himself as the best coach in CFB history. Money won't motivate him, I'm sure he's got more than he'll ever need. But that chance to showcase how good he is...... 

i don't think it would ever happen. But I also don't think it's as crazy an idea as some do. 

2 minutes ago, In the Deed the Glory said:

Ya, he got fired as the coach at Doane college.  I don't think that is a good decision.

On this we can agree....Great player.  Not so much as a coach...

My concern with Frost, I like him as a choice, is if he fails.........Imagine the prodigal son returning home and failing....I could then see it being nearly impossible to get someone to come here.  Then there are the rumors that he would never come to NU.  So who knows.  Just because they played at NU doesn't mean they'd be a great coach here.  Some are simply great payers.

6 hours ago, Wild Savage Beast said:

C'mon folks, the Program is now a full-blown dumpster-fire of a train-wreck.  From inept regents, administration, and AD to entitlement-minded fans and back-stabbing sports writers NOBODY worth his salt will touch this cancerous toad of a Program - doesn't matter what the salary is.  Heck, this Program was on life-support after Solich, Callahan, and then when Bo was wrongly fired and Riley took over...there was no margin for error with the Riley hire.

It's over, folks.

so you think we should just keep riley?   or shutter the program?  not sure what your point is.  

16 minutes ago, In the Deed the Glory said:

Ya, he got fired as the coach at Doane college.  I don't think that is a good decision.

I was thinking OC, and I doubt the comparison to some small college with skinny kids even matters....same with Craig Bohl who has shown improvement at schools with little history of success. We're talking apples and oranges.
With Riley we're talking apples and puny wormy apples.